OT: Question for dog owners

fini

After 17 years of incessant hounding (pun intended) by my 17-year-old daughter, we are serious about adding a pooch to our household. We're all interested in smaller breeds, and have been checking out local shelters. Personally, I really don't want to spend a fortune on some purebred. The questions I have are in regard to evaluating how a dog might integrate into our family.

Now, my girls (17 & 15) fall in love with EVERY dog they see. Last night we looked at a 2-year-old male Shi Tzu. He had health problems (kennel cough, itchy spots, heart murmor), but that wasn't the deal-breaker for me. This dog just would not interact with me. Any contact we had with each other was either initiated by me (picking him up), or seemed accidental. He was pretty much the same with the rest of the family, either in the waiting room, or out on the lawn. I got down on my back on the lawn, calling him, but he ignored me (same reaction I get from pretty women downtown...go figure). So, I had to say no, and my wife agreed. So, last night I was a hated Dad. I'm not looking forward to going through this again, however many times it'll take to find the right dog. Perhaps the Mrs. and I will pre-screen candidates.

So, you experienced dog folks, did I not give this pooch a fair shake? I really don't want a pet that ignores me. How much do you trust these first impressions? Seems it's all you've got to go on. In the case of this dog, we did have the option to try him out in our home for 10 days. I jst thought the girls would find it absolutely impossibe to give him back.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fini, there is only one way to go in my book...but then I am a little biased. It will be the best dog on the planet and meet all your family's needs except one...size. However, if you get a female on the small side they will only go about 40 pounds and they do amazingly fit into small spaces because they are so thin. They will curl up in a little ball on the floor, much smaller then they seem.

Here are the benefits:

1. Pure breed dog for the price of teeth cleaning, vet check up and spay/neutering...about 150-200 bucks

2. They will be between 2.5 and 5 years old when you get them. More or less leash trained and close to house broken if not totally house broken.

3. You keep a fantastic dog from being killed in the prime of its life

4. Unique dog, everybody want to know about them when you walk them. Not like a lab or retriever.

I could give you at least 20 more reasons...but I am sure you want to know what dog by now

Greyhound!

Look on line for a local rescue group near you. Get the book Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies. Heck, if you even think you might want one I will buy you the book and have amazon ship it to you...email me your address.

If you want to talk about it drop me a line.

• Moderators

You cannot trust first impressions with dogs... You absolutely didn't give him a fair shake! You can rehabilitate ANY dog problem, I'm a firm believer in that. Once you establish the "pack," ie your family unit, and the dog is integrated into the pack (as a follower, not a leader) the entire dynamic has changed, and the dog will be a different dog.

Highly recommended book by Ceasar Milan (aka the Dog Whisperer from National Geographic channel). His show is worth watching--I've never seen anyone smarter with how to handle dog problems. I used to own a Rottie--she was just like one of the kids.

No dog will be perfect at first encounter.....it's a learning process for you and the dog.

You might find the right dog at the local shelter but I recommend:

Do some research on dog breeds and which breed will fit into

what you expect a dog to do for you and with you. My recommendation would be to

settle on the right breed and then look up the rescue shelter for that breed.

Talk to the person at the shelter, you WILL be interviewed to about how you

will interact with the dog. The last 2 Akitas we got were from rescue. The cost

is typically in the $200 range. For this money you are getting a known quantity

dog. The person at the shelter will know each dog and their temperaments. You

can decide if you want a dog that is a couch potato or one that you will take

on your morning runs. An adult dog is what it is, if it is not an active dog

and you are very active, you are not a good match.

Most of the dogs in

rescue are pure bread and have been turned in for various reasons. Our male dog

was a peace offering from the mothers new boyfriend to the little girl, when

he left the picture, the girl would not do any interacting with the dog. It

wasnt the dogs fault! Our female was burned out in the big fires we had here

several years ago. The family that had her lost their home in the fire and they

had to stay in an apartment with no room for the dog, so she was turned into

rescue. All the dogs there have been screened and you can rely on them.

OBTW, it sometimes takes a little time for the adjustment to

take place but if you call the dog, using an excited voice while the dog is

playing, it should come to you. If you changed the dogs name though, it will

take a while for the dog to learn that you mean HIM when you say Bowser, after

all, he knows you mean him when you say Teddy Bear!

I know the above is very general; if you have more

questions, post them!

Owned by dogs for the last 48 years!

fini you old dog (pun intended) give in get a dog.I'm on my third dog, I will probably always have a dog. What's not to like, they are always glad to see you, they give you unconditional love, and they NEVER have their paw in your wallet! No really, I don't think you gave the other dog a fair chance. It takes time to form a trust with a new dog, weeks, or a month or two. I like Boxers,but they are not for everyone. She is the first Female I've ever had, I doubt I will ever have a male again, Male Boxers are a handful.

I don't mean to preach, but if you are serious about getting a dog, Please consider going to a shelter, or dog rescue. There are many fine dogs in those places that need a home and someone to care and love them. I was very lucky to find my Boxer at a shelter. Do you want a puppy that you have to train, housebreak, get through the chewing stage, or an older dog already housebroken and such? Some shelters put the dogs down. if no one takes them, so it's a win, win for all involved. You will have to pay a fee, but you have a pet that a Vet has checked out, dog will be spayed or nuetered, and you will be good dad again. This should be a simple choice for a man with not 1 but 2 teenaged daughters, 2 of them, Bless you my friend. Do your girls have boyfriends? Get a dog, get a BIG dog, that will keep the young bucks in line!!!

It's your call, do what you think is best. Fini you have an idea how I am, I'm serious about getting a dog from a shelter, you will be glad you did it, just give it time to bond with the dog. So grab your wife, and go rescue a new friend, and enjoy.

I have to disagree with Amy. I;m not saying she's wrong, just disagreeing. I firmly believe that 1st impressions go along way. I think when you find the right dog, you'll know it right away. I think it's a gut feeling thing, and it sounds like you followed your gut with the Shi Tzu. I think picking a dog is not something to be rushed into. This is a big decision for your family. As an owner of a 10 year old German Shepard (sitting at my feet as I type) I say take your time, you'll be glad in the long run.

Jeremy

Fini

I'm on my 3rd lab. One expired. One stolen. My current pooch is a 5yr old female. She is the smartest, sweetest, most loyal dog I have been around.

Try again. When you find the right one it will quickly become a loving member of the family.

I ran across that show Amy mentioned. What Ceaser does with dogs is incredible.

btw - when I meet a dog for the first time I try to pet them from ground up to under chin instead of hand coming down on top of their head. If they can follow your hand they may not think you are going to hit them. Some unfortunately have been abused.

John

Fini,

Yeh, that's tough one to say "no" when the kids really want something, particular something as cute as Shi Tzu.

However, it sounds like you trusted your instincts, and that sounds reasonable to me. If the chemistry isn't there, it justs isn't there.

The "right" dog is out there. I think it's great that you guys are adding to the family.

I think the pre-screening with Mrs. Fini is a good idea. If you guys should pick out three or so acceptable candidates, let the girls take their pick from those. There's win-win in there somewhere.

I second the notion about the retired Greyhound, I've heard they make good pets. I imagine one has to make time everyday to walk a dog like that however.

Actually they are quite lazy. Mine gets all fired up about 8:00pm for 5 minutes. Wants to run around like a crazy dog then quickly tires. I guess it is like cheeta saving up the energy for the hunt. Most of the day he sleeps. He does love to go for walks....but not manditory.

From my experience: I've had good luck with shelter dogs as well as well bred puppies. It's hard to go wrong with a Lab but the the German Shepherd is my favorite breed. Border Collies are great but need a lot of activity to keep their big brains occupied. For small dogs, I like a Poodle mix (Poodle/Cocker Spaniel/Schnauzer) - they're smart, affectionate, and shed less hair. We found a lost French Bulldog and took care of it for a week or so before we could find the owner. I never would've considered this breed but I was completely charmed by this dog. Looking at the breed charateristics, it's decribed as a loyal and affectionate pet and family clown and it's amaziningly athletic despite it's pathetic appearance. He exuded self esteem that was well beyond his looks, we would look at this dog and just start laughing. For a week, he went everywhere with me and I would've loved to have kept him. They are quite expensive though and could be prone to health issues arising from their conformation.

But here's what I'd really recommend: There are some great books to read before you get a dog. Some good titles include "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" by Rutherford, "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Kilcommons, and "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by The New Skete Monks. In addition to care and training guidance, there is great advice in each of these books on how to choose a breed and individual dog to fit into your family. Kilcommons has another book, "Paws to Consider" that sounds like a good one to check out for guidance on choosing a dog.

Good Luck.

post-17394-13819295527746_thumb.jpg

Great advice, folks! The hatred here has mellowed ;^) I think I may be liked again! I will check out those books, Sputnik. My oldest daughter has been calling breeders in the area, but I'm still leaning toward a sheltered dog. I'm a little aprehensive about the possibility of my "stuff" getting chewed and peed on. I mean, that's my job!

fini,

Waynes advice was spot on; research the breed first. Do not just get a dog. A well-matched pairing to your lifestyle will yield a much better experience. Trusting you instinct was absolutely correct. You should consider what needs the dog will have in terms of exercise, proneness to heath issues like HD, ear infections, skin related problemsyadda yadda yadda. The research you do will make it a happier match for you and the dog. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Something else to consider is the fact that most if not all dogs require some level of obedience training; it is for their safety and well being. I do not recommend you send a dog off to be trained but rather be an active participant in the training. Teaching a dog how to down and stay are two of the most invaluable things they can learn. Plus sound on/off leash obedience makes public outings more enjoyable.

No doubt dogs become great family members. Our Malinois is convinced she was at least a human in another life if not a slightly mutated 4 legged human in this life. We got this breed quite by accident we were looking for a German Shepard Dog and she was advertised and a Shepard mix well the got they Shepard part right just the wrong country and sans the mix issue. (Lucky for us!!!!!) Anyway she fits us perfectly my wife does Dog Agility with her, at 11 years old she still out runs dogs half her age. Every day when we come home from work she enthusiastically greets us with a where the H E double hockey sticks have you been all day then proceeds to look for the first toy within range and the challenge is on! Given the chance dogs will teach us how to communicate with them. She can wake my wife out of a dead sleep just by staring at her. Im thinking its a chick thing!

So my best advice is to take your time find a pooch that is right for you, and you and the pooch will be very happy with the results. And as Wayne alluded to Breed Rescues are a fantastic place to get a great dog, these dogs need a good home and will pay you back in spades for giving them a second chance at a good life. Good Luck!

I'm certainly no dog expert but one day wife had a dream (couple months after 2 of our dogs were murdered by a hunter...on Christmas Eve at that...)

Anyways, couple months later she says "Richard...I had a dream we had a new puppy and his name was OTIS!!!"

That told me the new search had just begun.

Otis (see pic in avatar) was found at the local shelter. I went in the day before Marion could get by there. I loved him on first sight BUT, I didn't pick him up or anything. I wanted Marion to make the choice.

She had chance to get by the next day and saw him (amongs others). When she picked him up, evidently he just CLUNG around her neck. She & the person there both chuckled because they realized that Otis had just chosen HER.

Pic in avatar is Otis right after he beat his bout with parvo (a horrific disease) and a pic of him now with his honey, Chloe (who along with her sister was abandoned out our way)

My vote is, trust your first instinct, you will 'connect' somewhere with a dog faster & more naturally, than you might a different dog (but you might connect with BOTH in time)

post-15072-13819295528896_thumb.jpg

The only things I have to offer (since others here have pretty much covered everything) is to also consider how much maintenence you're willing to put up with. And I'm not talking about vet & grooming visits.

We rescued from the local shelter a Sheltie. Of course, you wouldn't have known it was a Sheltie at first sight for his coat was in baaaaaad shape. Anyhow, although we absolutely love him, sweeping up his hair off the hardwood floors is a full time job - no matter what time of the year. And even though he gets brushed out regularly, the "Bailey tumbleweeds" (as we call them) still roll down the hall from time to time.

Oh - also be aware that some breeds are more "talkative" than others - IOW, they bark - sometimes a lot. And some breeds hardly bark at all. I had a Schnauzer that only barked when she sensed something was very wrong, like a stranger walking through the yard at night. Talk about taking 3 years off your life when she would growl and bark at 3:00am! Had a girlfriend that had a Sheltie (which are known to be very talkative) and that damn thing would bark if a leaf fell out of a tree. Our Sheltie?? Oddly, he's more like the Schnauzer I had and only barks when the door bell rings. Since we got him over 3 years ago, I've tried teaching him to speak on command and he still won't do it. Not sure what happened to him during his first 5 years of life.

Good luck fini.

Tom

I totally agree with J4knee, you should attend

an obedience school with your dog. Even if the dog is already trained. It will

help you to learn to communicate with your dog. Since we trained our first dog,

about 14 years ago, the rest have all been trained. There is a large difference

between a trained dog and one that has not had the training. The training also

establishes you as the leader of the pack, VERY IMPORTANT!, If you are going to

have a good life together.

I knew a Shih-Tzu breeder and I got the impression that a lot of them were pretty skittish. I would go with your first impressions when looking for a dog. I can highly recommend border collies and beagles. Very smart, friendly dogs that aren't too big, but big enough to scare off unwanted trespassers.

IN-FINI-TY TO 1,THAT YOUR SOULS WOULD HAVE EVER CROSSED,KARMA!,you want

the first doggie, he's sick an needs you&yours, life chooses,not

visa

versa, you my friend,you are in a quadrangled oxymoron,the more i

inspect you, the more i respect you,me an me, an me, disagree,there's

only one way out, just that one thing,that one..... Thing!