Featured in June 2006 Issue of HOME THEATER MAGAZINE: PICKY'S HT!!

picky

Well, guys, I admit it!.......

Verna and I have been keeping a secret from you guys since last November: Home Theater Magazine contacted us then and offered to do a spread on our theater in the Audio Video Interiors supplement that is on the inside of each of their magazine issues. We discovered last night that the June 2006 issue of 'Home Theater Magazine' in now in some (not all) book stores, if you are interesting in reviewing the 3-page spread they did on us. The article begins on page 84. The mag is $4.99. There is more write-up and photos that will be posted to the link below. But since this information is preliminary, the link is not yet active. So, please try over the next week and it should begin working (I hope). http://www.audiovideointeriors.com/readersqa/0606diy/

Obviously, an opportunity such as this does not come around to most people very often. We certainly were floored and we are thrilled with the outcome. One thing I want to stress here is that the magazine forgot to mention the photo credits. The majority of the photos were taken by my good friend and colleague from work, Daniel J. Kmeicik, whom is a very accomplished, amateur photographer. His favorite subjects are flowers and wildlife. Some of Dan's other work may be seen on Photo.net under his nickname, "Onyo": http://www.photo.net/photos/onyonet

We hope you will enjoy the article and photos. We had fun putting it all together and we feel very honored to have been included in their magazine. -Glenn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn- congratulations on the layout in the magazine.

But don't you know any professional photographers who would have done the job for you? (jk, I'm sure any friend of yours was 'picky' enough about the job to do fantastic work)

Can't wait to get the issue. Make sure to frame a copy in the lobby of the theatre!

Michael

Hey, thanks, guys. Your good words always mean a lot to me! I hope you enjoy the article when you get it. I made sure to mention the Klipsch forum in the text, especially since everyone here was such a big help to me during the planning and construction phases. There will be more photos and text available once that web site link goes active.

Regarding a plaque: I was contacted by a company called, "In the news". They are shipping me a plaque in about 2 weeks that will have the 3-page article in color, laminated and mounted to wood along with a brass plate beneath with the magazine name, issue number and our names engraved on it. If we decide to keep it, naturally it's up to us to purchase. We'll have to chose a "premier" spot in which to hang it. That's going to be a difficult choice as we have so little wall space in our tiny house. If we like the plaque, I'm sure we'll fine just the right spot.

Michael: Sorry buddy. It was much easier to ask Dan to do the shoot, knowing you live 4-1/2 hours away. [;)] BTW: Dan just sold his Nikon F100 and bought a D70. It should arrive this week. He's all geeked!

Chris: I love the Nick Danger (3rd Eye) avatar! Firesign Theater rules! [;)] -Glenn

I hope you enjoy the article when you get it...

There will be more photos and text available once that web site

link goes active.

Your HT is a great use of space and real warm looking. You'll

have to put a copy of that article on your smallhouse web site...

We'll have to chose a "premier" spot in which

to hang it. That's going to be a difficult choice as we have so little

wall space in our tiny house. If we like the plaque, I'm sure we'll

fine just the right spot.

You could always put it up next to those Heresys... [;)]

ROb

"Playgirl"? FOTFL!!!! LOL Good one! [:D]

Wow, guys. Thanks so very much for all of your wonderful compliments. Each of your comments is very dear to me. Verna and I are very flattered. The whole process has been very humbling. We finally came to the realization of just how much work the project was while I was writing the text for the article and "re-living" the process start-to-finish on paper back in January. Another startling fact were the costs, when HT asked us to put our budget together. Once we finally added up everything, we were shocked: The cost was nearly ten-thousand more than we had estimated. If it weren't for "sweat-equity" this project would never have been possible!

Wow, congrats! Any idea why they chose to feature your theater in their mag? Did you submit pics to them, or did somebody recommend your set-up be featured in their mag?

Todd: Thanks. A little background: I used to subscribe to 'Audio Video Interiors' magazine for years until it went out-of print a couple of years ago. Since then, I began reading 'Home Theater' magazine, which now features an insert section called "Audio Video Interiors" in each issue. Both magazines are owned by Primedia in LA.

It all came about back in November. I wrote an email to 'Home Theater's' editor, Maureen Jenson complaining they always seem to feature only theaters that are done by professional installers (CEDIA) for folks who appear to have very deep pockets and live in homes that are huge show-pieces. I challenged her to consider featuring HTs that are done by "the common man" ala DIY, on a budget and in homes that are less than spacious, once in a while. I sent her my web site as an example. Two weeks later, she was all over it! She sent an email to 'Audio Video Interiors' editor, Krissy Rushing asking her to persue an article featuring our place and CC'd me on the email. Both editiors work out of Primedia's LA office. Krissy sent me a release to sign, asked me to have a photographer shoot hi-rez images of the place and write about a 1,000-word piece on the construction, paying attention to any problems that arose. I sent her a DVD with about 30 photos and 2,800 words around the end of January. The rest is history.