And then came the CornScaltec...

chops

Got the 511Bs in today and got them installed and running. I do like the new sound, however I think these horns make the K-55V a little more efficient, pushing the midrange a little bit ahead of the bass and treble. At least this is how it sounds to me so far. I've had them running for about an hour or so and haven't really sat down for a good listen yet.

Has anyone else noticed a little boost in the midrange going to the 511Bs? I'm thinking I might have to ask Bob or someone on how I can attenuate the squawker a dB or two to see if that helps. That seems to be the only complaint I have though.

Pictures say a thousand words, especially when they're about modified Klipsch speakers!

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

chops,

Since you're doing all these changes with your speakers, you could also try front mounting your tweeters and see if you can hear an improvement in the highs. It's fee and easy to try. I like your drive and attitude. It seems like you're having a lot of fun doing all these changes and hearing the results and that's what it's all about. Keep on keeping on...

Chops,

You are doing some fantastic things!

However, I noticed that you are mounting the the tweeter behind the face board. You might try mounting it flush with the face board. There may be a discontinuty with the flare of the horn. Flush mounting will help.

Good luck,

-Tom

Chops. Let me correct you. What you have is an AlCorn. name coined by IBSlammin.

Many in the past think there is a bump with the midrange with the 511 vs the K400 (I know..You are comparing to K600).

Just changing the taps won't work. IBSlammin seems to think his sounds right with the taps left alone. My recommendation is to listen for several Hours before changing much. You have several changes to your system over the last few weeks. I have made this mistake several times. Your mind gets all discombobaled (sp) with different sounds. Sit back and listen for awhile. It is exciting to make changes but it really takes awhile to get a good feeling for what you like. I unfortunately in the past was quick to give my opinion of sounds with a change and later was a little embarrassed.

Man, I will say this. You are on the right track!

jc

Bonder, thanks. I'll be doing a full report in a few days or so about the horns.

jacksonbart, thanks! Stop by sometime for a listen! ;)

Dean, who can't do what?

Colin, K-55V (L+R) and Atlas "clone" (center) - Selenium ADF25-25 adapters

soundbound, I am having fun and I'm lovin' the improvements. Plus, who doesn't like the looks of those huge Altec horns stairing you in the face?!

PrestonTom, I did try them mounted in the front at first, then tried them the way they are now and didn't hear a difference.

jwcullison, we just got done watching "Van Helsing" a few minutes ago. These horns really give you that "movie" sound, and the music in the closing credits were absolutely wonderful sounding.

I'm definately going to be running all sorts of music through my system in the next few days and see what I think then about the new horns. Like I said earlier, I really like what I'm hearing so far. And who knows, maybe that "bump" in the midrange I'm hearing is actually just me hearing the faults of the spring-clip K-55V drivers.

And as for the name, I'm still leaning towards CornScaltec, or how about CornHorn.

Oops, forgot to mention, I'm back in town after vacation. I really need to go back to work so I can get some rest. Between running my buns off on vacation and then catching up on "deferred maintenence" around the house and yard, fixing two cars, I'm toasted. How are we doing on plans for your angle front HorizCorn? I need to go back through my emails and see what I have.

quick question...looks from the picture that you have one k-55-v push-pin type and one terminal type, if so, can you tell any difference?

quick question...looks from the picture that you have one k-55-v push-pin type and one terminal type, if so, can you tell any difference?

The terminal one is an Atlas I bought from BEC. It's a K-55V clone more or less.

OK before the fracus begins I am laying claim to the naming rights for La ScALKteCrites!!

Nice work Chops, I love the 511 horns with La Scala's. IMO they are definetly a more detailed sounding horn. I too had to knock down my squawker a notch.

Chops. Let me correct you. What you have is an AlCorn. name coined by IBSlammin.

Many in the past think there is a bump with the midrange with the 511 vs the K400 (I know..You are comparing to K600).

Just changing the taps won't work. IBSlammin seems to think his sounds right with the taps left alone. My recommendation is to listen for several Hours before changing much. You have several changes to your system over the last few weeks. I have made this mistake several times. Your mind gets all discombobaled (sp) with different sounds. Sit back and listen for awhile. It is exciting to make changes but it really takes awhile to get a good feeling for what you like. I unfortunately in the past was quick to give my opinion of sounds with a change and later was a little embarrassed.

Man, I will say this. You are on the right track!

jc

Chops,

Whatever we call them........Hang in there for a few weeks. I too thought the mids were hot at first. Changed my mind.[;)]

Terry

In my mind, from looking and listening to drivers I have...the atlas driver with terminals you got from bob is the same as the klipsch k-55-v with the terminals....minus the klipsch label....both made by atlas. The atlas branded ones usally have a metal plate across 2 screws that say atlas sound, nJ, and the klipsch and speakerlab versions have a round lable on the back. I have however seen a set of k-55-x's that had the klipsch round label on the back....and the atlas metal tag across 2 screws on the front that said atlas sound, TX.

There has been some post's about improvements the terminal version has over the push-pin one....seeing you have both...just curious if you ever noticed a difference.