Picture Thread: Exotic Original Veneers/Heritage Rarities...

Chris Elm

Its amazing what Mother Nature can do . Like a fine wine that mellows with age , wood cant help but develope a beautiful patina. Pine and Cherry and Rosewood age particularly well. Those Klipschorns are stunning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Tasdom said:

70th Anniversary Klipschorn on display at CES.

If klipsch sold them all, how do they have one available for display?  Klipsch sold them all.  There are none available for display if they are all sold.

That symmetric veneer - well looks like - well - veneer.

Wood is random.

When I walk into a store with wood anything - I automatically reject all symmetric and equal patterns as fake.

Needless to say - I walked into an IKEA in 1999 and have not ever repeated that painful experience.

Thanks.

Srinath.

On 1/4/2017 at 3:21 PM, Srinath said:

That symmetric veneer - well looks like - well - veneer.

Wood is random.

When I walk into a store with wood anything - I automatically reject all symmetric and equal patterns as fake.

Needless to say - I walked into an IKEA in 1999 and have not ever repeated that painful experience.

Veneer isn't fake, it's simply a very thin slice of wood.  Take two adjacent slices of wood from the same tree, and the sides that faced each other are going to have essentially the same (but mirrored) grain pattern, though you will find small differences if you look closely enough.  Khornukopia's photo above is a great way to illustrate that.

The technique of using matched pieces of wood (whether boards or veneer) to create symmetrical patterns in woodworking has been around for a long, long time.  Walk through any antique store and look at the old armoires and tables and you'll see plenty of examples.

http://www.johnsonfurniture.co.uk/Materials_&_Techniques.html

Yea like your palms. Yes you're right, the true fake stuff really is that vinyl paper.

Some veneers they use are very very thick - like those Yamaha NS1000. Which BTW I have and those suckers are notoriously hard to drive. I have a Nak PA7 that's about the only amp that can drive those to where I am happy. I have to try the Big Yamaha's though, MX1000 and up. The M80 was gutless on those and sounded like it was about to die on my friends B&W801. However, one time, we had the speaker wires touching each other (yea using jumper cable sized wires has its down sides, don't ask) and the M80 didn't even care, it was still working 10 mins later when we noticed the sound was cutting out a bit and fixed it.

However I prefer proper wood, or plywood. Anyway bigger speakers out of wood is impractical, so plywood is the best bet there.

Cool.

Srinath.

"Symmetric wood" is actually called a book-match...it can be two or more boards as thick as possible down to two or more slices of thin applied veneers, but the terminology is still book-matched.  you can have book-matched log benches by sawing a log in half...each bench-top is a book-match of the other...woodworking utilizing book-matches has been going on since way before the invention of "books", themselves.  Even in ancient times serious woodworkers highly prized not only the sturdiness of what they crated, but also the aesthetics of what they created...as did those who could afford to purchase those creations which had both attributes.