Taking a little bike trip to Maine

customsteve01

On Sunday 8/20/06 Caroline and I are going to hop on the scooter and take a little trip. She has always wanted to go to Maine and we had been planning a coast to coast ride for this summer but it was postponed due to a funds shortage. So we decided to just take a shorter trip. We are planning on staying off the freeways and interstate roads as much as possible. The first nights stop will be in northern PA, the Waynesborro area, night two will be somewhere around Lake Placid. On the third day we will ride into Port Kent NY and take the one hour Ferry over to Burlington, VT then up route 2 into Bangor, ME. The forth day will be spent going down to Bar Harbour and Mt Dessert Island then down the coast on Route 1 to Portland. Then we will bypass MA and go over to Albany, NY then Harrisburg, PA and on home. Looking to be home around the 27th or so. I was hopeing to be able to maybe hook up with one or two fellow forum members along the way but I 'm not sure that the time will allow it as we are going to try and put at least 400 miles behind us each day until we make Bangor. Since we are taking all backroads this is going to be a chalange. I am posting the map of the trip below and if you live on the route give me a shout and maybe we can at least say hi. I am planning on taking my laptop and if I am able I will post our progress along the way. If you could think of us in your prayers where I can keep the bike shinny side up and rubber on the ground. I have taken long trips on the bike solo but this will be the first trip over three days for my sweet Caroline. If you would like to see the route broken down into the segments let me know and I can post those too.

Steve

post-16814-1381930771102_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are traveling right in my direction, I live in Milton, VT which is on the outskirts of Burlington, VT. Not sure when you are rolling into town so to speak but send me an email and I will give you my address and telephone number and we could possibly hook up if only for even a short time. The ferry will bring you right into downtown Burlington, I am up just a couple of exits on I-89 from Burlington.

I can let you hear a full blown Klipsch Heritage HT with 4 Klipschorn's, a La Scala center, and a couple Heresy's for rear effects centers. I live right on the Lamoille River and have a nice picturesque backyard. We only have an apartment for now as housing prices in VT are just plain ridiculous, my wife Anne and I would love to meet you guys if we can work it out.

I see you are passing through Syracuse, N.Y. I assume on Rt 81. There is a great biker / Barbeque / Blues club called the Dinosaur Barbeque which would be a convenient rest stop. It is right off 81 and a fine place to eat, drink, rest, listen to tunes, talk to bikers. You can trust me on that, great little place. Best barbeque in the north.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

Frzn,

I am hopeing to be going thru Burlington sometime in the AM of the 22nd. We are planning to take 15 out of Burlington and hook up with 2 but may possably just take 89 to 2. It would be cool seeing your HT setup it sounds really cool. If the PM is working send me you r contact number. I will try and send mine to you.

Mark,

That BBQ place sounds good. We might just have to make Syracuse a lunch stop.

Thanks for the link.

If anybody else knows the area around our route and can think of neet places that are a must see please post.

Steve

That is a great trip you are planning. You can either go along

the St. Lawrence and over to Placid, or head up into the Adirondecks to

the high peaks at Lake Placid via Watertown/Govenour/ Star Lake/Saranac

Lake etc. If you hit Syracuse for lunch you must get it downtown at the

Dinosaur Barbeque, a rib joint founded by Harley guys. If you are

not pressed for time do Route 11 South instead of 81 through New York

and then use 15 South at Harrisburg past Gettysburg to DC and South. By

the way after a dozen years of rebuilding Route 81 through PA it is

finally complete and open for business so traffic delays through

that state.

Anything you need to know about your New York leg, the Ducksters Buckster or me can fill you in.

Steve, I can guide or help you through the Albany area, and parts of your Adirondack trek through my great state of New York...................Thebes can do the Syracuse area..You'll get to where your going on this end..............

Will send you my phone number and address for emergency break down or whatever problem my arise while in my area...............if you want..........e-mail me.........what kind of Bike are you riding?

Steve: You and Caroline have a safe trip! Maine and Vermont are beautiful! Take lots of pictures! Watch out for Mooses,.....Meeses,.......um..the big things with the horns (and I don't mean semis)! [;)] -Glenn

Sounds like an awesome trip Steve. I just got back a week or so ago from a 5 day 1700 mile trip to North Carolina (Camp Lejune area) then Marlinton, West (by God) Virginia, and then back home to Savannah, GA. Hope you guys have a geat and uneventful trip.

BTW....you do have one of these don't you: http://www.stopngo.com/Contents/1001.asp Excellent product - believe me.

400 miles per day eh? Let's see....that's 10 hours of saddle time a day. Better pack some of this: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Anti-Monkey-Butt-Powder-p-17484.html LOL [:D]

I think your single biggest hurdle for a trip of 5 days will be convincing your wife that she can't take everything that you will see her lay out on the bed to pack! LOL... [:D]

Seriously though....hope you guys have a blast and I like your thinking about no interstates and just backroads. Otherwise, how else would you see things like this...

post-4338-13819307761626_thumb.jpg

I can let you hear a full blown Klipsch Heritage HT with 4 Klipschorn's, a La Scala center, and a couple Heresy's for rear effects centers. I live right on the Lamoille River and have a nice picturesque backyard. We only have an apartment for now as housing prices in VT are just plain ridiculous, my wife Anne and I would love to meet you guys if we can work it out.

Wow! That sounds good enough to make a trip from Southern California; but then again, maybe if you crank it up real loud, I'll be able to hear it anyway.

That's pretty sweet. I've been to Bar Harbor twice and i already want to live there. I just love it in Maine. Being a hobbyist in photography also contributes to why i love Maine, and it's just so peaceful and relaxing up there. I shot 750 pictures last year with my d70. That was a fun trip. I hope you have a blast. You'll prolly be on 11/15 N which will take you right by where i live. Have fun.

Tom,

Thats a pretty picture, and your right, you don't get those views on the interstates. We rode over to West (By God) Virginia last memorial day and spent 3 days riding around the Charleston area. Some time I need to tell you about a little side road we got off on (insert "banjo music" from deliverance). Did you ride over the New Gourge River Bridge? Talk about way up there. I believe they base jump offof it once a year.

Oldbuckster,

Sent my cell number in a PM. Thanks again for the offer send me your number and I will call you to see if the route thru the Anirondaks that we are planning will be the best senery wize.

We will be riding a 98 Harley Softail Custom. Here is a pic of it at the Appomatix National Park a while back. Sorry but its really dirty in this pic but its winter time and I don't care much for washing her when the water freezes. Notice the snow in the background.

post-16814-1381930777246_thumb.jpg

Steve any route you choose in the Adirondack Park is full of scenery, and a large amount of Lakes, I am very Lucky to live in this beautiful part of the Country, Wilderness is best to describe the Adironack's, mostly woods and lakes, and few people.....very few people...except up bye Potsdam.......Big area for Colleges.........can't tell you about Lake Placid......haven't been there yet...........I would strongly recommend Main Roads on that part of your trip, there are no big highways in the Park.........Not alot of people up there, miles of roads in the middle of forest..........God it's beautiful...........Cell phones are almost impossible to use......Be advised on that point........So a main road is a smarter move......whatever I'll get you through my state..........Give me a day or two, and I'll send you a couple of routes to take..............I won't forget........have a busy day today, so I'll probably look at routes tomorrow.......................

Ahhh, Maine..... God's country to be sure.

My last girlfriend was from Rockland, Maine, and we would go up there every year for Lobster Festival the first weekend of August. The coast of Maine is absolutely beautiful!

When you go thru Rockland you should stop and have dinner at Cafe Miranda (http://www.cafemiranda.com/). It's a tiny little place in downtown Rockland and only seats about 40 people. They have 2 reservation seatings (early and late). Call for reservations and request to sit at the bar (seats 5 I think). This way you get to watch this guy fix everything in the brick oven... it's very entertaining. Great food, and the menu changes daily.

Have fun!

Mike

Sounds like a great trip. Like your bike, H-D brought that model back for 07. Not exactly known as a real open road machine but I'm sure you have taken many trips on it and enjoyed it, and it sure beats a hardtail chopper.[:D] Anyway good luck and remember to assume that you are invisible to all of the cagers.

Great Trip! My son and I just got back about a week ago. He

and I were on my Concours and a bud went on his Gold Wing.

Attached is my route. We made a few changes along the way.

Go on into Quebec. We loved it. Don't miss Acadia Nat'l.

Park at Bar Harbor.

post-2142-13819307854692_thumb.gif