The DVD is in...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A perhaps dumb question if I may..?

Other than the logic of someone not wanting to dub "X" number of copies... what are the issues of simply making a dvd with the whole show on it?

(and I CAN relate to someone not wanting to spend the time to create "X" number of copies, so if that is the simple reason, then I got it)

Coytee: I am as frustrated as you are (maybe more). Please let me try and explain:

There IS a DVD with the entire movie on it. Trey has two copies: one in letter-boxed 4:3 full screen and one in 16:9 widescreen. The movie runs 71 minutes. It takes up 4.6 gigabytes. There is no way to host that on a web server for download, so we elected to reprocess the movie into WMV files which applies compression and makes the filesize much smaller. The 71-minute movie is now only about 173 megabytes, but still too large to host on a server for download. So, I went back yet again and reprocessed the wmv-based movie into 13 separate dowloadable segments that range from about 7 megabytes to 16 megabytes each. They are very downloadable for anyone with broadband or DSL but not dial-up.

I have given all 13 segments to Trey and he was in the process of trying to get them down even smaller for the dial-up folks. I don't think he's had much luck. So he posted the first one just to see if anyone had problems with it. I haven't heard any feedback from him. But, don't get on his case: He is a very busy man! Just to complicate things even more, the key web developer Trey was working with was gone on vacation for 2 weeks (honeymoon, I think), so that held things up even more. I don't know why the other 12 segments have not yet been posted. You will have to ask Trey.

Now, the reason why no one has offered to copy the DVDs for sale: There is proprietary music on the movie. Therefore, it cannot be sold for profit: Only the costs of the hard materials, duplication and shipping can be charged. I am not set up for mass volume duplication here at the house, orhterwise, you all would have your copies already. I gave the copies to Trey so he could look into how Klipsch might be able to mass produce them and get the out to you if their budget and time allows. Remember: Their job is to design and sell speakers. They probably cannot devote a lot of time or funding to this extra-curricular activity. I have heard nothing back from trey as to the status of that.

This 71-minute movie was made from over 7 hours of videotape that I shot in Hope that weekend. The full concert alone is 3 hours long. That wil not fit on one DVD. Each band that played, performed for 45 to 60 minutes. I have also made a separate DVD for each band with just their own performance on it. I asked Trey to forward the DVDs to the bands as a gift to say thank you to them for playing for us. The 71 minute movie has 2 songs from each band on it.

Depending on what Klipsch decides to do next, I have two options: I already have all 13 video segments loaded on my web server and I have calculated that I do seem to have the bandwidth to handle the forum's downloads. However, this is something that should really be left up to Klipsch to host, in my opinion. After all, the movie promotes their products, so they should pay the web fees to host it, rather than I as I am currently in amatuer status (non-profit). If Klipsch decides not to sell the DVDs, then I may change my mind and begin doing them myself, because I really want all of you to be able to see and share this experience with one-another. I had a blast making the movie and I am very proud of how it turned out. I want you all to see it. So, at this point, it is up to Trey and what he and Klipsch decide to do. I hope that answers your questions. Sorry for the lengthy post.

I would prefer not to have my work featured one of those video download sites. Call me weird if you will, but having it posted to the Klipsch site (or, my own site) makes the availablity of the footage seem a bit more "private" even though it would still be in the public domain. If it were to be posted here, it is more assured to be viewed by the appropriate audience. On an open domain such as Torrent, I'd fear that the clips would be more apt to wind up being spliced into other peoples' works. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Klipsch Employees

We would like to just send everyone a DVD. But, with the music that is on the DVD, I am not sure we can do that. We have the folks that can answer that looking for a answer now.

We can host the other 12 bits, but We must have the "OK" to do so.

I know everyone wants this. We will do what we can , as we can...

Hang in there.

Ok, another dumb question perhaps? (just trying to think outside the box)

What if Mr. Grandpicky gave say, 5 people access to his website to download it.

Those 5 people, could have 5 others assigned to them to email each section to (presuming those with fast connections of course)

Those 5 would then have 5...

Only 5 downloads off Picky's server and all the sudden, everyone has access to it via an email?

hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Coytee: It's a great plan except many of the clips are 15 Mb or larger and most email servers will not allow attachments that large to pass including my own Comcast email.

Sorry, man. -Glenn er, um...grandpicky [;)]

Are the 13 compressed versions under 500MB total? If so, I could host it on my school account which is rather fast and there are no bandwidth limitations. I think I can even set up a login and password if you wanted to keep it more private too.

• Klipsch Employees

Ok guy, I just talked to the right folks and got the ok to upload had host the clips on the forum file page.

I also can send out a copy of the DVD to anyone that came to P6.

If you did not come but still would like a DVD let us know.

I want to find out how many we will need to print before we send them out.

Therefore, it will take a bit to get them to you.

Please send me an email with all your info. (name, address, forum name)

Please use "DVD" as a subject.

trey.cannon@klipsch.com

Ok guy, I just talked to the right folks and got the ok to upload had host the clips on the forum file page.

I also can send out a copy of the DVD to anyone that came to P6.

If you did not come but still would like a DVD let us know.

I want to find out how many we will need to print before we send them out.

Therefore, it will take a bit to get them to you.

Please send me an email with all your info. (name, address, forum name)

Please use "DVD" as a subject.

trey.cannon@klipsch.com

E-Mail Sent: Thanks very much to all involved with the DVD!

mike tn[:)]