The Dope From Hope

justin_tx_16

I have been getting more and more emails about the availability of the Dope from Hope papers I collected and had bound and pdf'ified years ago. If anyone needs a hard copy, let me know, I would be more than happy to print and bind for only the cost of shipping and materials (I have a friend at Kinkos... hehe).

Otherwise, you are all welcome to download the file from here.

I have but only a few requests. Do not share this link with all the bulletin boards or "ghost host" it on your site. I like to keep my bandwidth down and such and the source original. If you could also give credit for the production to the bulletin board for without them I would not have had the papers to scan in and organized. Give credit where it is due.

Finally, I'm in the mood to update it. If you have anything you want to add to the wonderful little (282 pages at 27megabytes) PDF document, send them to me, justin@soundwise.org or snail mail (which you can get through my email). I would love to put the advertisements in there that you guys have been posting as well as spec sheets and photos which I will request permission from Klipsch to include off of their website (can I, can I?!)

Ok, that is all. Enjoy the download and the read!

Hi Justin

Any chance you could talk to damonrpayne or DrWho and see if it would

be possible to have these papers included in the articles section of

Damon's web site "klipschcorner.com" ?

It would be great to see them all in one easily accessible place without having to print them all off.

Garth

• 2 months later...

I've noticed how often he said that too; it seems he absolutely hated those "100 watt stoves." (100 wpc amplifiers)

He also spoke negatively about electronic equalization as well.

The most postive thing he seemed to harp time and time again was his theory about "distortion being inversely proportional to efficiency." To PWK, efficiency meant practicially everything...or so it would seem.

fine reading, some of it speaks volumes!

Vol. 13, No. 2, June 1973, Revised November 1973

SPEAKER DESTRUCTION

As amplifier power increases, more loudspeakers fail in service. Also, people are rendering themselves partially deaf, and as hearing loss becomes more severe, the volume control is turned up increasing the cause of hearing loss, and increasing the rate of loudspeaker failure.

I am not going to preach a sermon on damage to one's hearing. That is the listener's concern.

I am going to point out that as amplifier power increases, the degree to which the speaker output reproduces the original sound, the sound quality, decreases.

In a typical living room or small theater, our present all-horn systems offer concert-hall levels with a mere 10 watts peak input.

We can offer a choice: the supreme quality of our present products, with the admonition to use less than 100 watts per channel, or a degraded response with (literally) ear-destructive power output.

We can do it, either way, but not both. I leave it up to you, the customer, to make the choice.

Paul W. Klipsch

The Audio Iconoclast

• 9 months later...

I have been getting more and more emails about the availability of the Dope from Hope papers I collected and had bound and pdf'ified years ago. If anyone needs a hard copy, let me know, I would be more than happy to print and bind for only the cost of shipping and materials (I have a friend at Kinkos... hehe).

Otherwise, you are all welcome to download the file from here.

snip

Justin,

Tried the link and got a page that says "The Papers" and 281 blank pages.

Cool. Something to look forward to reading.... A bound copy would be cool as it's much preferable to read things in hard copy but I'll wait on that at least until you've finished updating it. Maybe you could get one of the Klipsch historians to suggest and maybe provide additional material? Just a thought....

• 1 year later...

I have but only a few requests. If you could also give credit for the production to the bulletin board for without them I would not have had the papers to scan in and organized. Give credit where it is due.

Yes. Give credit were it's due. I originally supplied the document copies to Forum Members from my personal archives.

I've updated another post in General Questions.

Since I've repeatedly seen copies of this for sale on EBay, I have two requests.

You may copy these as you like except:

1. They may not be reproduced for sale.

2. Please delete (do not include pages 87,88 & 89) as they have personal information on there.

And, just keep in mind that even with those pages deleted, the document is traceable to me as my handwritng and notes are on them ~ I have the originals to match.

You are welcome to disseminate these documents as you please ~ NOT FOR PROFIT