dhtman

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dhtman,

Would you post a picture or two of your Lenco?

Happy to oblige. It's badged Goldring Lenco GL75, like all UK supplied L75s. I cut the rear, right hand corner off the chassis to allow more choice of arms.

Cool. Nice to see a familiar face; I bought a similar L75 fairly recently.

Dhtman:

Congrats on your fine pair of Jubilees. How far apart do you have them, and how far back is your sitting position?

Carl.

Thanks Carl. The measurement between the center line of the drivers is 10 feet. My listening seat is 12 feet from the front wall. On the right of the rear wall there is a six foot wide archway into the kitchen/dining room. Sitting at the table about 36 feet away from the speakers sounds just as good!

I tried Richard's suggestion and angled the HF horns out a few degrees. It sounded equally good - my experience is that the tweeters have a very wide dispersion pattern and I haven't found anywhere outside the sweet spot in my room.

I'm having great fun turning up LPs and CDs I haven't played for ages and enjoying them anew. Tonight it has been Seal, Jess Roden and Free. I guess I'm in a raunchy, rocky kind of mood.

D

Hi Allan

I found your statements because I was searching for the IKEDA tonearm...and as you know both the SME 3012 and the IKEDA 407, I wonder what you say about the quality of the two arms...I've seen and heard the IKEDA arm (an older version) for the first time today. I've used the SME 3012R now for around 10 years and since about 4 years with an Ortofon SPU cartridge (a DENON 103 before that time). Must say, I am happy with the system - the arm sits on a TD124...and the music comes out of a pair of Khorns...because they are - after a lot of testing - the only ones which have been able to fill our big and quite specially shaped room with music. But back to IKEDA, you also mention the FR64...another little wonder?

...this all makes me very curious!!!!!

Let me hear more....thanks in advance...mark

Hi Allan

I found your statements because I was searching for the IKEDA tonearm...and as you know both the SME 3012 and the IKEDA 407, I wonder what you say about the quality of the two arms...I've seen and heard the IKEDA arm (an older version) for the first time today. I've used the SME 3012R now for around 10 years and since about 4 years with an Ortofon SPU cartridge (a DENON 103 before that time). Must say, I am happy with the system - the arm sits on a TD124...and the music comes out of a pair of Khorns...because they are - after a lot of testing - the only ones which have been able to fill our big and quite specially shaped room with music. But back to IKEDA, you also mention the FR64...another little wonder?

...this all makes me very curious!!!!!

Let me hear more....thanks in advance...mark

I always wanted one of Mr. Ikeda's arms and when I decided to add a second arm to my TD-124 i was left with three choices, really--another SME 3012, a 12" Ortofon or one of Mr. Ikeda's designs (FR66 or 407), as I an COMMITTED to the Ortofon SPU--I doubt I will ever again use another cartridge.

I use the Ikeda for stereo records and that means I use it about 1/3 of the time, perhaps a bit more.

The arm is BEAUTIFULLY made, really something to behold. I had to fabricate an SME-style slotted base for it in order to dial in the SPU. but that was not really too big a deal considering the difficulties overall in adding the 2nd arm to the TD-124.

The Ikeda is a bit more laid-back than the SME and offers a more "polite" sound than you get from the 3012, but definately a good match for the SPU.

The arm was CRAZY expensive--I got a good deal and still paid $2000. I bought it because I knew it might be my last opportunity to purchase one of Mr. Ikeda's handmade arms--he's in his late 80's now and the 407 is now out of production.

NO WAY!! They are keepers! These are the perfect (sounding) speakers I've been looking for over the last 20 years or so. They tick all the boxes - dynamic, flat frequency response, revealing, detailed, play loud, play whisper quiet. I couldn't imagine anything bettering them.

I'm having loadsa fun, re-discovering my record and cd collection anew and trying out a few different combinations of pre and power amps and swapping tone arms and cartridges in and out of my system. The Jubs are very revealing of differences between components.

I have discovered one flaw though - with my old speakers I could listen at about 76 dB late into the night after my wife went up to bed. Now if I do the same the Jubs are putting out so much bass energy that it drowns out the TV in the bedroom and I get told to turn it down. Who called these teenagers speakers? :)

d

• 10 months later...

But the big fiberglass horn is not only a major eyesore due to size and especially shape, it gives the speaker system a cheap look in my opinion. It's that big horn that ruins everything for me....and any chance of getting those things placed anywhere but the basement.

Searching for something totally different, I came upon this...

oh, how it made me laugh. Wasn't there an old James Bond movie..."Never say never" lol

[:D]

But the big fiberglass horn is not only a major eyesore due to size and especially shape, it gives the speaker system a cheap look in my opinion. It's that big horn that ruins everything for me....and any chance of getting those things placed anywhere but the basement.

Searching for something totally different, I came upon this...

oh, how it made me laugh. Wasn't there an old James Bond movie..."Never say never" lol

Hey......I've been wrong many times before. LOL......The 402 is still not my favorite looking piece of art........but we tolerate each other. They look a little small to me next to the MWMs. I may have to add a mid-bass unit.