OT: Do you have an accent?

Amy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Hmm... born & raised in the Cincinnati area until age 23 when I fled away to Iowa for 6 months, then Indianapolis for 2 years (yes true), then Hilton Head, Charleston and now, Knoxville.

I've never even BEEN to Philadelphia [8-)] [8-)]

Now, maybe the last part is true "someone may have thought you talked a little weird "

In that if someone says someting to me that I didn't quit catch, I'm just as likely to say "Please" to induce them to repeat it, as I am "huh", "come again", "what"??

You're reading about accents woman, when you need to be searching out & destroying those dolts that are buying out your website... [:o] [;)]

• Moderators

[:)]

I've always thought people from Ohio talk a little funny (my mom, for one!)...

I already took care of the dolts. Now I'm onto accents and forum history.

Apparently, I have a Chi-CA-go accent, although I've lived on the northside of Indy all my life [:)]. Close enough.

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Bingo. And yes I do say "pop".

- Jim

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You

may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary"

but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying

questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?"

Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
The Northeast
The South
Philadelphia
North Central
The West
Boston

"What American accent do you have?

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

Ohh the midland!! I have been told that I have a face for radio.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't

have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania,

southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but

then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of

those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice

for TV and radio.

I've been told that I have a good phone or announcer voice.

When I lived in the country, I'd pick up a twang from being around my Grandfather and his friends. Then I got accused of sounding like I was from Kentucky or Tennessee.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm wit-chu Cp1

Dtel,

Obviously the accent software is not sophisticated enough to pick up on cajun speech.

Here's my result:

You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio

Inland Northern

Kinda funny since I am 4th generation Charlestonian . People are allways asking where's my accent , sometimes I tell them "I left it in my truck ."

Like Colter , alot of people tell me I have a voice for radio . I guess thats better than having a face for radio [:|].

Nailed me as North Jersey. Bingo. Grew up there.

Funny, most folks I meet can't place my accent. They say, "You don't have an accent", and I reply, "My mother beat it out of me ..."

If I ever came home and said, "Mom, let me "ax" you a question ..." ... she would have taken me into another room and had a serious talk about how folks associate accents with intelligence.

Of course, there is NO correlation, but people's biases would kick in and discount your IQ by 50%. Don't hammer me on that guess-timate ... It's just hyperbole.

I can place a Michigan accent very quickly. My mom came from Battle Creek. I have a harder time with southern accents since there are so many variants. I've been here a year and a half and I don't hear it anymore; everybody has it so you go with what you decode and not the inflection so much.

I find southern accents comforting until the women strap on the boots before going into a bar, just in case they get into a fight. Don't see that much in Boston anymore [:P]

• Moderators

Dtel,

Obviously the accent software is not sophisticated enough to pick up on cajun speech.

Here's my result:

You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio

No I don't think " sophisticated enough software " is the problem, Probably the speech is not sophisticated enough to be considered human speech.