OT: Do you have an accent?

Amy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard."

Bingo born and raised in Northeast PA.

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine. (or bodcaw [:D])!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? that explains alot of things; main one being on why i always feel the need to vote for ted kennedy.......

boy!!

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Bingo. And yes I do say "pop".

- Jim

That's how it pegged me! Then again, I am originally from Wisconsin (Beloit). And yes, I've actually had people ask me if I am from Wisconsin. And yes, I also call carbonated beverages "pop", despite the fact that everybody here in Virginia calls it "soda".

In fact, while skiing, I was riding up the lift with one guy and as soon as I spoke, he immediatly could tell that I was from Wisconsin, but he also detected a bit of "pittsburghese" type accent, since I did live in Northwestern PA for 12 years (including going to college there), so I probably picked up some of that type of accent (although I never said "yinz" for "you guys" or called a vacuum cleaner a "sweeper").

It doesn't work on me...was born in Poughkeepsie, New York and lived in various country towns along the Hudson River, then on to northern New Jersey, then to Tampa, Florida, then over to central Connecticut, then back down to Jacksonville, Florida. Then I joined the Army and was stationed in New Jersey, Colorado, Texas, and finally Germany for three years! After the service, moved back to Texas, and then back to Florida where I've been ever since.

If asked what type of accent I have, I tell them it's not an accent...it's a speech impediment!

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Yikes. Even got the Minnesota part right! [:o]

I have lived in New York State since Dec. 1963, moved there from Boston, Mass. To this very day, there are certain words, and short prhases that I STILL display a BOSTON ACCENT, and if and when I sometimes get in a heated discussion the ACCENT will rear it's ugly head.............................After 40+ years..............Wicked good.....EH!!!!!!!

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: The Midland

"You

have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an

accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern

Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for

all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big

southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV

and radio.

The South
The Inland North
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The West
Boston
North Central

Thats scary because I have been an Indiana kid all my life, but in Indianapolis....my parents are from Logotae(sp?) and Bedford.....

I live 'bout a 'hunert miles or so from Larry the Cable Guy (for real!!).... An evera' time I head up north (past Daytona...), I git a ration 'bout my "cracker boy" accent. Best "southern" accent I ever heard, though, was a long time ago from a girl from Charleston, SC. Mellow, smooth, had that husky "Klipsch Quality" smoky bass that made me smile just hearin' it. [;)]

Inland Northern

Kinda funny since I am 4th generation Charlestonian . People are allways asking where's my accent , sometimes I tell them "I left it in my truck ."

Like Colter , alot of people tell me I have a voice for radio . I guess thats better than having a face for radio [:|].

it's true. Willy you sound like a younger Bruce Williams.