Tubers: 6DJ8 for 6922

doctorcilantro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love this forum[;)] I also don't believe it's hard for any astute person to read any of the threads on these boards and see who for whatever reason must go on personal attacks vs. stating ones beliefs. I do know what I've been hearing and I know for a fact who's loosing more business day in and day out by putting their attitudes on the boards instead of contructive productivity. Of course the next statements will be I have all the business I need and that is a good thing for you[:P]

I know I have changed my mind and so have others I know regarless of how one has been rated in the past for their particular craftsmanship but there is a plethora of people and company's that do excellent work on vintage gear so it amazes me how people just shoot themselves in the foot basically over their own ego's[:(]

Pots calling the kettles black is for sure a [:'(] babies game and only hurts the ones that initiate such crap! What's a matter you don't KNOW what public means and how one should conduct themselves?

Listen to yourself in terms "I believe" because that is your right just as much as it is the person your speaking to to have their's also

Everybody believes something[:o]

You know it would show much more class to just come out and say who your talking about. But regardless what many do not understand about me and I have said this about 50 times before when approached with this reasoning. Some have even been offended when I just said sorry but that is one aspect of me I am not changing.

I was here long before I opened the doors of NOS Valves for Business and if it fails I will be here long after. I for one am not here with the primary purpose of promoting my business. I myself find someone that holds back or twists there posting to be "accepted by all" or "after every penny they can make" to turn my stomach. Much akin to a vulture used care salesman if you ask me. I want my customers to respect me for speaking my mind and to hopefully forgive me for my short comings. Above all I want them to praise me for my customer service and quality of work. To me that is how you succeed in business and sleep well at night. If I have to feel I'm being less then honest or deceitful in any way to make a living then its time to find some other method to make a living. I'll be the first to admit I'm far from perfect. I'm bull headed . I'm stubborn, I make mistakes and I misread some folks post. Been doing to for 5 years around here. I'm an old dog and have learned new methods and have improve in my communication skills by a huge margin in 5 years around here IMHO. But I will never bend what I say to please all people just to make a buck....... I will never not share my opinion or point of view in a straight forward manor.

Craig

Craig, simply observing a thread that has a bunch of the same stuff you say you don't have the time to deal with and I'm not singling out or pointing a finger at anyone in particular really as I've seen threads with Al K go the same way. I'm on the outside looking in and I know you are a good guy and well respected by many I only expect (with that said just who the heck am I) people to wear the shoe if it fits.

I support you on many threads but like the BS Clarence thread I'm only here to learn and be entertained as many others are. It's really hard to learn between the back and forth with Mark and with that said just like you feel I would rather read non biased opinions from all parties instead of having to sift through tet a tet's!

I have class and I'm no coward, if I did not like you I would tell you just like I did Clarence many moons back. After that point I never entered into thread exchanges with Clarence ever again because the boy has no respect obviously for himself and generates that same disrespect out to others. I'm glad that you are a bigger man than I in that you are willing (for whatever information you received about him to let him slide) although he has gone on his missions to degrade far to many times for me to accept he was just having a bad day.

I only spoke the truth of what i have been hearing and put it forth for what it's worth, I sure mean no disrespect to you and your work, dedication and sincerity as they preceed you here and I'm sure in/on several other forums.

Craig, simply observing a thread that has a bunch of the same stuff you say you don't have the time to deal with and I'm not singling out or pointing a finger at anyone in particular really as I've seen threads with Al K go the same way. I'm on the outside looking in and I know you are a good guy and well respected by many I only expect (with that said just who the heck am I) people to wear the shoe if it fits.

I support you on many threads but like the BS Clarence thread I'm only here to learn and be entertained as many others are. It's really hard to learn between the back and forth with Mark and with that said just like you feel I would rather read non biased opinions from all parties instead of having to sift through tet a tet's!

I have class and I'm no coward, if I did not like you I would tell you just like I did Clarence many moons back. After that point I never entered into thread exchanges with Clarence ever again because the boy has no respect obviously for himself and generates that same disrespect out to others. I'm glad that you are a bigger man than I in that you are willing (for whatever information you received about him to let him slide) although he has gone on his missions to degrade far to many times for me to accept he was just having a bad day.

I only spoke the truth of what i have been hearing and put it forth for what it's worth, I sure mean no disrespect to you and your work, dedication and sincerity as they precede you here and I'm sure in/on several other forums.

I have no problem with what your post said or its intension's maybe I should of included that. I also have no doubt that the end result is indeed just what you suggest. But I think my reply covers the whys and why not's. Making a living is very much secondary in my life and has been since my last profession ended in a hospital stay and 8 months in a neck brace. To be honest I'm about two steps from closing the doors to this business and full filling current obligations. This business is just not worth the headaches its causing me here and in life generally speaking. I can make a good bit more money and full benefits as a General foremen for a huge home improvement company has offered me some 10 times since I closed my construction business 4 1/2 years ago. I am a licensed Michigan home builder by the way (not like its some great accomplishment just a 6 week night course and multi choice test what a joke IMHO). My wife has been watching all this and seeing me work until 12:00 to 3:00 am at times and wishes I would also move back in to my old Field but the good wife that she is will get behind me in what ever I decide, as I do in her professional life.

I have no problem with you or what you said in any way. I did find it strange that you didn't just come out and say it was directed at me. But that is no big deal and a side issue.

I left this thread and closed the major dispute I was having in public because I knew where it was headed and it is indeed inappropriate for the open forum. I have refrained from adding fuel to the fire on that original subject.

Cheers Craig

When you couple a tube preamp to a tube power amp to Klipschorns and apply no signal, there will be some hiss due to the extreme efficiency of the horns. Tubes generate noise! That noise when amplified and applied to a high efficiency speaker will be reproduced by the speaker. However, the S/N ratio of the combination is no different than on any other speaker when you are playing music. 6DJ8s are beautiful preamp tubes in all respects and have only recently been surpassed by newer variants like the 6H30 or maybe which is now being used in all the world's best preamps. No one - is using 12AX7s for goodness sake. Comparing the noise of a 6DJ8 in a preamp to the noise of a 12AX7 in a power amp is a meaningless comparison.

I'm afraid that is more inaccurate information that McIntosh engineers would disagree with. Look at the recent C2200 preamp (retail $4500). Surely the McIntosh engineers were familiar with the 6DJ8, but they chose not to use it, instead opting to fill their preamp with 12AX7A and 12AT7A tubes. This preamp has garnered glowing reviews and won audio awards.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=18&cat=Audio+Control+Centers&prodid=1038&product=C2200

Here is a spec sheet from their online pdf file that lists the tubes used.

post-7941-13819317989546_thumb.jpg

Yet another even newer Mac preamp, that I saw

at AKFest last year, the C1000T at $9000, uses eight 12AX7 tubes. It's

part of an even more expensive system.

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/806mac/index2.html

If someone sits down and patiently explains all this to his 6DJ8 tube, will it be less noisy?

That was really funny!

One

of Mark's comments was improved lineraity of the 6dj8. Blueberry is

more flat sounding in a very positive sense than my old AMPEX 12AX7

preamp that I sold off earlier in the year. Scott 130 uses 12AX7 as I

remember and it is still a great sounding preamp after Craig works on

them. Although the Blueberry I think may more realistic reproduction; I

did not have the Scott 130 to listen to in a couple of years so the

memory of it as a reference is fading fast.Not that I am a great

historian but it seems the 12AX7 was the tube of the day when phono

curves were a great focus of audio engineering.

This topc is why Craig said he would whack me on the head if I got NUTZO about tube rolling.

I have very small noise in my phono right now but it is not anything to get too anal about.

If it sounds real and it sounds clean I just leave well enough alone.

I can get my hands on some used for 75$ a piece:

NOS Siemens Cca 1970s This is the highest rated 6922 type on the news groups. Outstanding performance, long life. Highly recommended! Limited Quantity Gold Pins NOS/NIB

Not NIB but tested strong and for low noise.

DC

Don't know about that vintage i.e., 1970's. Yes, I hear you on the price and I've seen on ebay with regularity. But what I was refering to are the 1950's and early 60's versions. Very hard to come buy. Telefunken white boxes and the old Blue & Yellow Siemens and Orange & Blue Valvos. Extremely quite and smooth beyond belief.

Agreed, Gilbert - my understanding has always been that its the 50s and early 60's versions that are most sought after. I'm not sure why that it the case, except that I've read rumours over the years that there were a number of '70s CCas floating around that were not nearly the build quality of the 50s and 60s models that you are referring to.

Ahhh - the Blue and Yellow Siemens boxes. Still have my two empty boxes in the closet. Yes, as Mark and Craig have been discussing, there are some POS NOS tubes out there. But, when you find the genuine thing........... Two early 60s Siemens CCas reside in the Superloz mode of my Peach. Expensive? Yes. Smooth and quiet? Yes. Worth it to me?? Yes.

Carl.

The Telefunken Cca that I got...

A rare find indeed! :)

That's what Brent said as well, but I wrote that off as typical sales talk. I had to wait nearly a year to get it. Sounds noticeably better than the orange globe I had in the slot previously. Special thanks to garymd for the recommendation.

I made the terrible mistake of selling a late 50's Seiman's Cca to a fellow forum member for $150 when I replaced it with a PW that eventually became microphonic. The Cca sounded great in the BBX and was dead quiet. Although I did get another thanks to Gilbert (BIG thanks), once you find one that's quiet in a Blueberry, hold on to it for dear life!! I have about 5 other very nice, strong testing tubes that should work in that slot but they all are noisy. I haven't owned very many tube preamps but every other one I've owned used 5 or 6 12AX7s. Easy to find nice, quiet tubes but they just didn't sound quite as good.