Female vocals ?

Coytee

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess you missed all the posts that metioned Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Carmen McRae, Nina Simone, Helen Merrill, Chris Connor, Anita O'day . . . .

Diana Krall is OK. I have always liked her piano playing better than her singing, but she ALWAYS surrounds herself with absolutley first-rate sidemen . . .

What allan said.

Another reason that folks like Daina Krall is that her records are well produced. I admit that I enjoy listening to her but allan is right (not all the time but this time he is!) that she is a better pianists than she is a singer.

I happen to listen to a lot of female singers the ones that allan mentioned are all high on my play list. I think that Nina Simone might be the most played because "Little Girl Blue" is one of my wifes favs. In addition to the above singers you might also consider Emmy Lou Harris, Elenor McElvoy, Neko Case, Madeline Peyroux, Rosanne Cash, Rosemary Clooney, Joan Baez, KD Lang, Phoebe Snow, and many many more.

Josh

I think the reasons Diana Krall is Miss Popularity around here are:

a - The sultry, sexy voice;

b - Yes, she is a good lookin' blonde;

c - Excellent musicianship on her records;

d - Enough good tracks on her CD's to keep us interested;

e - For the most part, very high recording quality;

f - She married Elvis Costello, so we think there's hope for us![8-|]

Personally, I dig Diana, but I'm just cuckoo for Holly Cole.[:D]

Seems to me the most talked about female vocalist discussed here is Diana Krall? There are certainly a couple others but seems to me, she's the one most often referred to.

I don't have a lot of experience with lp's/cd's by female artists. Indeed, back in college, an old girlfriend was rooting through my two "Peaches Crates" FULL of LP's, and looking up said "Do you realize you do not have a SINGLE album by a female singer??"

Female vocalists, ah?

Ohhhh let me count the ways:

Tarja Tururen from Nightwish - to bad she is no longer with them, will be interesting to see who the get as a replacement

B0002ZYE1Y.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Simone Simons from Epica (who I've actually seen - oh my god is her voice beautiful on The Score album, not to mention she is certainly a looker)

B000B8WEB4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Liv Krull from Leaves, Eyes (another one that I've actually seen - hey, look there is another Krull)

B0009IFEN6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Claudia Uhle from Angelzoom (talk about a truly angelic sounding voice there)

B0002IVZ4U.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And who I am listening to right now - Doro

B000EMGHR4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V5701548

Also, surprised nobody mentioned Dolly Pardon! Say what you want about her, but I've always liked her voice.

As for Diana Krull, well I think Jdm56 summed it nicely there. Granted, I am not a big fan of her music, but no doubt she does sound good and she really is an excellent piano player. Although I don't have it, but I have watched that Live in Paris DVD, and did thoroughly enjoy it.

Some are in denial, but I think Coytee is right, I've noticed it also at this and other forums. Part of DK's popularity is that she's articulate, intelligent, and polished, too. I'll give her credit, she has left her mark. It will be interesting to see how long she can hold onto the spotlight, and be remembered 20 years from now as something other than another Maria Muldaur or Carly Simon . . I've noted that a couple of music outlets locally will NOT buy back her CDs.

recent interview below, she had twin boys earlier this month,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_a24fLalFY

A couple of female vocalists worth mentioning that don't get much print at this forum are carrying on the tradition of samba and bossa nova. They are Rosa Passos and Marisa Monte. Though not quite mainstream in North America yet, the qualities of their music are hard to fault,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssGQOz9L8Xg

If I have any input at all, there will be NO DIANA [|-)] KRALL at the next pilgrimage. Geesh, aren't you guys tired of her already? IMHO her muzak isn't much of a test of a speaker system anyway.

Preach it brother! [Y][Y][Y][+o(]

I don't think I've seen Loreena McKennitt mentioned yet. What a beautiful voice (yikes, did I say that?)

And who was the one chick from Dark Side of the Moon? Clare Tony? ("The Great Gig in the Sky").

And then there's Tracy Thorn who sang on two Massive Attack songs ("Protection" and "Better Things").

I think I'll stop there as nobody will recognize any of the other names [;)][:P]

And in the BAD CAREER MOVES department, this just in:

"Tarja Tururen from Nightwish - to bad she is no longer with them, will be interesting to see who the get as a replacement"

Ya, there was a lot of stir when that happened. I've gotta side with the band members who told Tarja's manager to piss off when money was essentially becoming more important than the music. Nightwish is probably my favorite band, but there is plenty of room for improvement with her vocals. Some songs were really good though (I can't imagine how hard some of that stuff would be to sing). And if you watch some of their DVD's, they talk about how she was pretty much in and out of the studio because she was so busy pursuing her opera career. The Once album is probably the best choice for anyone wanting to give her sound a try. Avoid the earlier albums until you get hooked on the Nightwish sound.

Colter -

Having an audio meet without Diana Krall playing through a system is like going to a Grateful Dead concert where no one is smoking weed[:D]

I nominate NOSValves' spelling "Crawl" as the Klipsch forum misspelling of the month. I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you. I'm not sure why, but that just hit my funny bone in a particular way[:D]

I almost bought a DK CD at BB yesterday, wasn't sure which one to grab......thought it would be good reference material, at ay rate - which one is the "must have"?

as in the statement about having something 'stuck in your crawl' ?

Ok, "The Look of Love" is a great one and "When I look into your Eyes" has many great standards on it. Both immaculately produced. I think less of her sound on the Paris DVD- too much whiskey and cigarettes voice for my tastes.

AN said, I nominate NOSValves' spelling "Crawl" as the Klipsch forum misspelling of the month. I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you. I'm not sure why, but that just hit my funny bone in a particular way<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lets assume that Craig spelled it that way intentionally. Just because one is spelling challenged doesnt mean that one cant express an opinion through a play on words. Craig has a sense of humor.