Female vocals ?

Coytee

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AN said, I nominate NOSValves' spelling "Crawl" as the Klipsch forum misspelling of the month. I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you. I'm not sure why, but that just hit my funny bone in a particular way<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lets assume that Craig spelled it that way intentionally. Just because one is spelling challenged doesnt mean that one cant express an opinion through a play on words. Craig has a sense of humor.

Yes he does[:)] And a damn good one! And FWIW, I'm the last one to play "spelling cop"......it's just sometimes hard to know intent in print.....either way, I'm still chuckling.......

Back to the subject of female vocalists, I second Tracy Chapman, whose releases get lots of critical listening here. Female vocals are most difficult to get right in an audio system........when those are correctly replicated, odds are good that things are right in many other areas of system performance. I find myself using female vocals quite a bit when doing critical listening tests.

I bought Diana Krall after hearing about her here--I have to admit I am not a fan. She may be talented, but not my cup of tea. I can't believe after 3 pages there is no mention of Sarah Maclaughlin! [:o] Her "Afterglow" concert DVD is as close to sublime as any Male vocalist I have in my collection. The song Building a Mystery always brings a tear to my eye.[A]

Here's a few you might want to check out:

Rickie Lee Jones, especially the self-titled album

Holly Cole

Patricia Barber

Kate Bush, especially her earlier stuff (Aerial is not that interesting)

Ofra Haza (different but good)

Lee Aaron (jazz or rock (she was the Metal Queen))

Shirley Manson (with Garbage)

Gwen Stefani (with No Doubt or without)

Dolly Parton is also really good

A couple of "must haves" in any collection of female artists are:

Carol King "Tapestry" .She is a songwriter extraordinaries and many of the songs on this album have become huge hits by other singers.

Linda Ronstadt "Heart like a Wheel". This was her real breakaway album from the Stone Ponies. She put more heart into this album than into anything she has done since IMO.

mdeneen - You're spot on about Diana Krall.

dtel's wife - Joan Osborne is amazing in Standing in the Shadows of Motown, the story of The Funk Brothers. I'd neither seen nor heard her before seeing that documentary on DVD. I recommend it to one and all.

This is way OT, but, since I'm offering unsolicited testimonials about DVDs, check out The World's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro. My lovely wife initially thought she wanted no part of a movie about a motorcycle, now it's one of her favorites.

Yeah, i never heard of Eva Cassidy until Thebes let me borrow one of her cd's. I definately enjoyed it.

Norah Jones is a top listen for me to show of my system with vocals.

My mom loves Barbra Streisand. I like her, but she's not quite my type of singer. She does have a excellent voice though.

Charlotte Church definately has a heck of a voice but can get to be too much over time, but still phenomenal.

• Moderators

mdeneen - You're spot on about Diana Krall.

dtel's wife - Joan Osborne is amazing in Standing in the Shadows of Motown, the story of The Funk Brothers. I'd never seen nor heard her before seeing that documentary on DVD. I recommend it to one and all.

This is way OT, but, since I'm offering unsolicited testimonials about DVDs, check out The World's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro. My lovely wife initially thought she wanted no part of a movie about a motorcycle, now it's one of her favorites.

I had never heard of her before either, but dtel and I were both impressed with her vocals. She is really really good and hardly even strains! Emotional, without whining, I like that. BTW, we had consider purchasing some of her other music, but weren't sure if we would like it or not.

Even for non-Motown fans Standing in the Shadows of Motown is an excellent buy. Although, how someone could not like Motown is beyond me. Even Colter thought the music was great. Not bad for a rock and roll fan.

I nominate NOSValves' spelling "Crawl" as the Klipsch forum misspelling of the month. I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you. I'm not sure why, but that just hit my funny bone in a particular way[:D]

Well I'm glad someone is laughing with me since that one was on purpose[:)] Crawl out of the room is exactly what I want to do I'm so sick of folks making a big deal out of her. It's nice to see someone is paying attention .......... If she was ugly she would be a waitress in the greasy spoon restaurant.

Check out Eva Cassidy. Not much out there by her because she was taken from us much too soon.

Beat me to this suggestion,.. Amazing on Klipsch!! CRANK HER UP>>>>>>

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yW97ydJo1zo

Cry at this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUwTdqPkluY&mode=related&search=

Roger

Eva is quite amazing. TOo bad she has left this world.

Rondstadt was amazing in the early and mid 70s pre coke addiction.

Annie Lenox can crank like few others of this generation.

For a mix of nice ladies some with Celtic background try the "Songbirds" compilations there are 2 different 2 CD sets.