blues recommendations

jrios212

i wanted to buy a couple of blues cds and wanted to know what you guys recommended.

what are your top 3 recommended cds for me to try out? i don't know much about blues music.

not sure if these count as blues but bands/singers i really enjoy are ray charles, etta james, the black keys.

thanks,

jacob

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what you've listed, I'll add a few: Muddy Waters, Bessie Smith, John Mooney, the Staples Singers (there are some spectacular reissues of some of their early work, hair-raising!), Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, Gatemouth Brown. That should provide a decent primer in various blues styles. I put the relatively obscure John Mooney in the mix not only because he's an amazing artist, but also because of his mix...he channels Son House to great effect (make sure you're sitting down!) and does a lot of New Orleans second-line/Professor Longhair type stuff as well.

Based on what you've listed, I'll add a few: Muddy Waters, Bessie Smith, John Mooney, the Staples Singers (there are some spectacular reissues of some of their early work, hair-raising!), Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, Gatemouth Brown. That should provide a decent primer in various blues styles. I put the relatively obscure John Mooney in the mix not only because he's an amazing artist, but also because of his mix...he channels Son House to great effect (make sure you're sitting down!) and does a lot of New Orleans second-line/Professor Longhair type stuff as well.

Woo Yeah Bessie!

The guys above have provided some darn good selections. For more contemporary Blues, you might also like listening to Johnny Lang (Lie To Me), and just about any Kenny Wayne Shepard CD are also good choices IMHO.

I'm particularly found of Stevie Ray, good ole Texas boy RIP.

You must be careful when purchasing blues albums, as some may have been recorded in the 50's or 60's and might not sound so good. I can recommend these as being pretty well recorded and some of my favorites.

John Lee hooker - Hooker & Heat (Live with Canned Heat),

- Alone

- Don't look back (produced by Van Morrison)

- The Healer (some tracks with guest artists)

Muddy "Mississippi" Waters - Live! (with Johnny Winter & Pinetop Perkins)

- Hard Again

- King Bee

- Muddy & The Wolf (half Muddy/ half Howlin Wolf)

You must be careful when purchasing blues albums, as some may have been recorded in the 50's or 60's and might not sound so good. I can recommend these as being pretty well recorded and some of my favorites.

thanks frank.

i definitely would like to buy CDs that are recorded well since, as we all know, Klipsch reveals both the good and bad.

jacob

The following four are Acoustic Blues Recordings and should have a real flesh and blood quality to them when reproduced on a good system.

Muddy Waters "folk singer"

Sonny Boy Williamson "Keep It To Ourselves" LABEL: Analogue Productions CAPR3036

Otis Span " Good Morning Mr Blues" LABEL: Analogue Productions CAPR3016

Buddy Guy "Blues Singer"

Some other favorites of mine:

Junior Wells "Come On In This House" Telarc CD-83395

Pinetop perkins "Back On Top" Telarc CD-83489

mike tn[:)]

Jacob,

I've got an enormous blues collection and have provided a list of what I believe to be the ultimate top 10 blues CDs. They are all good, but I've listed them in order of importance. Be careful! Once you get started on the blues, it's hard to stop. If you get past these and want more suggestions, let me know.

1. Muddy Waters- The Chess Box (pricey but well worth it)
2. Muddy Waters - Folk Singer (absolute classic acoustic Chicago blues)
3. Hound Dog Tayor & The Houserockers (incredible slide guitar)
4. Homesick James - Blues on the Southside (wild Chicago slide guitar blues)
5. Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues (another classic)
6. John Lee Hooker - The Ultimate Collection (Don't settle for just any JH compilation...a cheaper alternative is the new "Definitive Collection")
7. Lightnin Hopkins - The Blues Anthology (get the Master Classics version)
8. T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues (awesome electric jazz blues)
9. Earl Hooker - Simply the Best (excellent Chicago blues)
10. Otis Spann - Good Morning Mr. Blues (the only blues piano CD you need to own)