Another Jubilee Build in Progress

rigma

Richard,

I hope to have them up and running this weekend. I still have to paint the top and bottom access panels, edge band, install & wire woofers, install grill cloth on bass bins, & final assemble and hook up.

JC,

Initially I will use and active crossover (Crown IQ USM 810) with Roy's settings. A Crown D-150A II will power woofers and my home built WE-91 300B SETs for the 402s. The pre amp is a home built Berman 76 tube with 6SL7 phono section and Lundle step up trans for the Denon 103 cart. The turntable is a VPI Aries II and CD is Jolida 100 tube. I have all the parts to build Roy's passives, except I will be using all air core inductors. You ought to see the size of that 10 ga 6 mh inductor! I hope to have the passive done in a couple weeks.

My past experience with active vs passive tells me that the passive will sound better with acoustic Jazz and Blues with SET amps, which is mainly what we listen to. The tone just sounds more pure IMHO.

Oh, got them up stairs without a scratch.

Thanks for all the compliments from the forum members.

rigma

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice. Those electronics are foriegn to me. I also have never heard SET. I would love to hear that kind of sound.

I like your vote on the passive.

Curious...what is the DCR on a 6mHy Air core inductor? I was always concerned with the air core DCR once you got above 3mHy.

jc

Nice. Those electronics are foriegn to me. I also have never heard SET. I would love to hear that kind of sound.

I like your vote on the passive.

Curious...what is the DCR on a 6mHy Air core inductor? I was always concerned with the air core DCR once you got above 3mHy.

jc

JC,

I edited the above post the 6 mh inductor is 10 ga Litz wire not 12 ga, The DCR is .47

Hey it is big 6" dia X 1-3/4" thick.

rigma

I'm curious... not necessarily directed to you Rigma, but it could apply to you...

Bob in Washington state got his Jubilees & said the bass sucked until the drivers were broken in.

For anyone who's building and installing 'new' woofers... is there any merit to having said woofers plugged in (free air) for a while prior to installation to allow them to break in or is using them in that capacity, different than having them work inside an enclosure?

in other words, coudln't you plug them into a radio, listen to crap for a while BUT get the break in, out of the way sooner??

you have 31's right? i do sine wave so i would do 20 hz, at 10 volts for 20 minutes in free air (don't get none of that paid air). that out to do it......

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Roy,

Yes, I have K-31. Thanks for the info, I will do that.

rigma

that's what i do in the lab....

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Dang...and all this time I thought you got paid the BIG BUCKS for doing some high faluting pencil pusher work...

So, let me see if I get this correctly... Roy (with his hair slicked back like Elvis) is sitting in his chair, feet up on his desk, reading a magazine (PG rated of course, probably got a picture of a fish or a blueberry in the centerfold section). Around the corner, comes his boss.

"Working hard today Roy?" asks the boss as he notices Roy's near prone look

"yuppppppppppppppp" says Roy, as he nods over to the K-31 attached to a battery. "I'm breaking that driver in right now...outta be done in about 2 more casts of my fly rod" (daydreaming at work) "last one got away ya know"

"ok... good job Roy and keep up the good work...oh, and here's your Christmas bonus. By the way, I bought you some new batteries so you can test more drivers for us. I got a bigger one though, so you can test more drivers at once. This way you won't have to get up and change the leads over. I think it will give you a lot more time to dream about your centerfold fish there"

"thanks Boss..."

"you're welcome Roy"

Rigma...

I can't believe that I've allowed ten pages of compliments on your fantastic project bedfore I joined in! Your work is simply superb... I truly appreciate your fine craftsmanship and remarkable attention to detail. Surely, you will enjoy your Jubilees for years and years both for their sonic qualities and in the knowledge that they are the product of your very own talents.

Wow!

All the best to you (well, you probably already got that!)

Rob

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and encouragement. The plan is to have them playing tunes this weekend. Maybe we can have a conference call so everyone can hear them.[;)] Maybe Coytee can set that up.[8-)] Sorry Richard I couldn't help it.

rigma

I would say your pretty wife I am sure inspires you for excellence.. Good model for the speakers! hahahahaha

Those are just outstanding! I want to know what you feel, too, now that this dream has become a reality too. You should make those on the side for the rest of the forum.. VERY NICE!!

Awesome Rigma and the photoshop pic on page seven is just how I have envisioned a home model with the 402 of course I have to agree with Roy on the beveled corners and I think for balance (visual) the top strip on the bass bin should be the same width as the 402 frame. When Bill first posted the photoshoped 402 and 510 versions I set out making mock drawings with a 2" trim around the 402 and 1" around the 510 but on the 510 to balance it out visually I think the 510 needs to be mounted to a motorboard and centered on this motorboard that is about 2/3's the size of the 402 perimeter. Can't wait to see your final frameout on that 402 as I'm sure it will be just as nice as your bass bin[:D]

Just out of curiosity did photoshop block the grill cloth in the photo? I never noticed the block effect on the photoshoped pics Bill put out there[^o)]

Rigma,

This was addressed to Roy, but I just had to say that I am impressed (again)!

Although I do not know all the specifics are your measurement set up, those are very impressive numbers. Some of the details are obscured due to the 1/3 octave averaging (which is standard practice anyway), but it seems your room is certainly not messing up things in terms of producing prominent standing waves (again the averaging "helps").

Congratulations again,

-Tom