Another Jubilee Build in Progress

rigma

Rigma,

Although I also enjoy the fishing stories, I am quite interested in your project and hope that you will continue posting us about the progress of your project.

One question, I have not worked with fiberglass, but what sort of strength might be provided from that extra effort. Is it to seal any leaks, is it to prevent any shearing motion, is it to make the structure more rigid and prevent deflections from any vibration?

Good luck,

-Tom

Tom,

Actually it is all of the above and even in the order you listed. Of course maybe the only thing that matters is the air leak which was my main goal but I figured fiberglass would accomplish the other things you mentioned where RTV would not.

rigma

A bit of a time-lag here ....

Rigma,

The fiberglass you use: is this a 2 part mix (like epoxy) brushed over the "cloth". Are all formulations the same or there a special kind to buy? Can it be found at Home Depot or a Boating supply place?

Thanks,

-Tom

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rigma,

I was just browsing again your project pics. That is pretty cool to do a super looking job AND have it documented with pics.
It's been a while since I looked at them and you've completed the project since them.

One question, what is that tube amp in the wood case? That's a pretty cool piece. Did you build that, too?

Re: Tom's question about fibreglass..... You can use epoxy, but the mixing ratio has to be bang on, and also it takes longer to cure than traditional polyester resin. I would use polyester myself, as it's ease of use and quick cure time comes in handy. As for the cloth, you can use a woven cloth, but it is harder to get the air out ( air bubbles are white, and need to be rolled with a roller and poked ), here I would use a "mat" which is chopped fibres stuck together with a binder.

The styrene in the resin dissolves the binder and allows the mat to conform to contours that would not be possible with a woven cloth. Also, it is so much easier to "wet out" the mat than a cloth, and hardly ever you will get an air pocket.

Try your local auto store for a fibreglass repair kit, typically they have kits with resin, hardner, cloth, small trays, and an applciator for not much more than the resin and harder itself. You might want to pick up a small package of mat, as the kits typically contain a woven cloth. A few cheap disposable bristle brushes, some rubber / vinyl / latex gloves are a good investment as well.

PM for more specific info if needed.

Rigma,

Although I also enjoy the fishing stories, I am quite interested in your project and hope that you will continue posting us about the progress of your project.

One question, I have not worked with fiberglass, but what sort of strength might be provided from that extra effort. Is it to seal any leaks, is it to prevent any shearing motion, is it to make the structure more rigid and prevent deflections from any vibration?

Good luck,

-Tom

Tom,

Actually it is all of the above and even in the order you listed. Of course maybe the only thing that matters is the air leak which was my main goal but I figured fiberglass would accomplish the other things you mentioned where RTV would not.

rigma

A bit of a time-lag here ....

Rigma,

The fiberglass you use: is this a 2 part mix (like epoxy) brushed over the "cloth". Are all formulations the same or there a special kind to buy? Can it be found at Home Depot or a Boating supply place?

Thanks,

-Tom

Tom,

Here is what I used.

FIB-926 FIBERGLASS TAPE 8.7 OZ 3" X 25 YD PRE-CUT PKG

WSY-105A WEST 105A EPOXY RESIN, 1 QT

WSY-205A WEST 205A FAST HARDENER, 0.44 PINT

GER-030001 PLASTIC SPREADER, SINGLE EDGE 4-1/4 X 2-1/2

I bought this from:

www.jamestowndistributors.com

I stapled the tape then poured the epoxy over and spread it in with the scraper.

I also coated the entire back chamber with this epoxy, thinned with denatured alcohol, using a paint brush.

Hope this helps.

rigma

Rigma,

I was just browsing again your project pics. That is pretty cool to do a super looking job AND have it documented with pics.

It's been a while since I looked at them and you've completed the project since them.

One question, what is that tube amp in the wood case? That's a pretty cool piece. Did you build that, too?

Daddy Dee,

Thanks, the Jubs are finished and sound awesome. Yes, I built the amps in the pics. They are Angela 91 300B mono blocks, with beefed up power supply. The pre-amp is a Berman 76 I built from sound practice issue #13, not yet finished it's case.

rigma

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

" Now we need to build them like this guy."

wonder how the woofer sits...I'm assuming it faces rearward but there does not look like enough clearence in that forward area chamber.

• 1 year later...

He must also be able to buy mdf REALLY cheap.....wonder how many sheets were used for a pair of cabinets? An incredible amount of waste too.

Indeed. Unlike plywood, MDF on edge is no stronger than MDF face on. However, the structure does get extra rigidity from all that glue; still, not the way I would have done it.