So much for warm winter

oldbuckster

Yep Ole' Buckster -2 right now and a high of 4 predicted not including any windchills. Winter is here! I am originally from South Texas but I am now acclimated to the cold it doesn't bother me. 40 degrees is car vacuuming and cleaning weather up here.

I was in Thule, Greenland for a year and during the winter it was -40F for 6 months. This necessitates the following precautions:

1......Do not stay outside too long with an open cut as it is the first thing to freeze.

2......All vehicles are 4 wheel drive with 20 wt oil in the rear end and differentials and engine heaters to plug in at night. All of the wheels have chains so that in the morning when you take off for work only two wheels rotate, one in front and one in the rear as the other two skid (grease is frozen) and they don't break loose until you drive 1/4 miles. The inside of the windows have plastic windows stuck on to prevent instant frost over and they work very well.

3....... Everyone wears foul weather gear with parkas with fur hood outside edge liners which close up so your eyes do not freeze during high winds. Wind chill factors can hit -70 to -110 F.

4........Vehicles are plugged in to motor electric heaters all night with the engines running at idle. The engines are never shut off during this cold weather else they will never turn over to start.

5........People still drive like down here and at 60mph on dirt roads the tire chains fail and go off like a hand grenade and usually destroy the truck fender.

6.......All utilities are above ground and steam traced by the power house.

7.......All of the buildings are built on permafrost and either have huge crawl space vents on the side of the building to keep the foundation frozen or air conditioning systems built into the floors to keep the cement frozen.

8.......I don't know what they add to the break fluid, power steering fluid, or radiator fluid. I have seen conventional anti-freeze frozen solid at -50 F.

9......It's usually about 20% humidity year round and you can draw foot long carpet sparks.

10.....Humans get really flakey up there over an extended period of time.

11.....All jet aircraft have to be hangared and oil warmed up before they can take off in -40F weather or they don't take off.

12.....The best and safest plane to be in is the small Canadian Twin Otter.

13.....I think (speculate) that this is where the pizza delivery stuff started (1960-1970) as you could order just about anything and they would deliver it for a fee of course.

14. ...A 1/4 mile walk in dress pants at this temperature will give you a pair of nice red mild frostbite burned legs. I know because I did it.

JJK

It was 20 here this morning in North Georgia, but up around 50 or higher in the afternoon. Nice outside in the sun.

On Wednesday I will be leaving for the Philippines for two weeks. Right now it is between 75 and 85 there. White sand beaches, palm trees....

I'll have plenty of pics to share on my return.

• Moderators

Got up to about 58 here today. Very cool by most standards for this time of year down here.

Expecting temps near 28 on Sunday night.

We had 10 straight days of rain, one dry day and rain forecast again tomorrow. When the forecast says 90% chance of rain it is almost inevitable.

I love cold weather, the colder the better. I can't figure out why we still live in the South when we love cold weather so much. It must be the people and the food.[:D]

• Moderators

Looks like more below 0 tonight............such is life in the North East..........I complain, but I love it here......

As most of you already know our only source of heat for our home is a wood burning stove, which burns us out of here. This little stove heats almost 2500 square feet upstairs and downstairs.

OB if we lived up North, I know we would have a wood burning stove, if not electricity and/or gas would probably send us to the poor house with temps like that.

hope today brought some warmer weather for you folks.

it was a very nice day in southern california. i'm actually laying sod on tuesday and was out today leveling the yard. wore a t-shirt and short pants and was very comfortable. maybe that's why we have to pay so much to live here?

It was down to -7 last night and the high today was only 10. Its 8 right now.

We usually keep the house at 60 at night but last night my wife went to bed and forgot to turn the thermostat down so the furnace was trying to keep the house at 68 all night while it was -7 out. That's always good for the old gas bill. [:(]