Chicago Bears 21 - Indianapolis Colts 28

Corvette6769

Let me preference by saying that I sure hope that "Chicago Bears 21 - Indianapolis Colts 28" is NOT the headline Monday and that I have been a loyal Bears fan for over 40 years since back in the Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers days (even the years when they couldn't seem to beat a high school football team).

While I rooted for the 49ers during the Joe Montana years, Terry Bradshaw's Steelers, and Dallas during the Tom Landry years, it was only after the Bears had hopelessly screwed up another season (or if the Bears were playing against San Francisco or Dallas).

Unfortunately, and good as they are, the 2006 Bears defense is not Buddy Ryan's 1985 Bears defense and unless DA BEARS can get a couple turnovers, I fear that the Colts will win the Super Bowl 28 to 21.

Indianapolis would be no match for a Walter Payton, Jim McMahon, Willie Gault, Dennis Gentry, & Kevin Butler offence coupled with a Mike Singletary, Dan Hampton, Richard Dent, Steve McMichael, and William Perry defense, but that was then and this is now.

I sure will miss seeing a Chicago #34 on the field Sunday as much as I will miss the #3 at the Daytona 500 again this year.

I still can not help hopping the Bears can win the Super Bowl on February 4th, my daughter's 16th birthday (I have a picture of her at 2 years wearing her Bears sweatshirt and standing with Mike Ditka on the sideline beside her on our big-screen TV).

Either way, I live 2 hours from the Super Bowl winner this year (and 20 minutes from the Bears original home in Decatur and 15 from their 2002 home in Champaign) for the second time in 40 years and I have never seen so many Colts & Bears fans walking the streets here before....where have they been all these years?

GO BEARS!

Just a comment about what Corvette said.............NASCAR will never be the same for me with Ol' Number 3 gone.........I still miss the Man in Black and always will............He made me watch NASCAR...............R.I.P. DALE..........now with Ol' B.P. gone too, what's left? Benny Parsons was great in the booth...................

Defense Wins Championships. The Colts are the worst statistical defense to ever play in a Super Bowl.

The winning formula for the Bears in this game lies in the same gameplan the Giants used to beat the Bills in Super Bowl XXV - RUN, RUN, then RUN some more.....and eat up that clock. As soon as the Colts "D" cheats up to stop the run - BOOM - go deep against one on one coverage. The Bears will be able to push the Colts "D"around, as long as the Bears don't get pass happy and play to the Colts strength. If it's close at the start of the 4th, this plays into the Bears hands. Key Matchup: John Tait vs. Dwight Freeney.

Defensively, the Bears are better than you think: They keep the action in front of them, they strip the ball, and they are FAST. Urlacher is a FREAK. No human should be THAT big and THAT fast. Watch as Urlacher covers those tight ends/H backs like a safety. He lined up against Reggie Bush last week - the Bears aren't afraid to move him around and give different "looks", and with his skills gives Rivera LOTS of possibilities in concocting a defense that will keep Manning guessing. I think the Bears can win if Grossman has an "average" game statwise. Just don't give it up. But I think Manning will need to have a very good-excellent game for the Colts to win. For the Colts, it's all about how well Manning plays. Key Matchup: Bears DL vs. Colts OL.

Bears 30

Colts 24

Oh, and the pic was provided by a very cool Bear fan on a fan forum.....summed up my thoughts totally....[:D]

post-7846-13819321845252_thumb.jpg

I've been a Bears fan since the late 50's early 60's. Watching Willie Gallimore in the Championship game (pre Super Bowl days) did it for me. After Papa Bear departed and Ditka was let go (broke my heart) the days of the old black and blue type football was gone forever to me. Wannstadt made me sick. I didn't have a favorite team then. Over the last 6 or 7 years I've slowly become a Colts fan. The last 3 years I've been bleeding Blue. The Colts have put together a Class act any city can be proud of. Quality product. Winning with Class. Losing with class. Let the Colts class be an example for all sports.

New Bears playing like "Da Bears" has made them my second favorite team. I'm lucky this year to watch my 2 favorite teams play in THE GAME.

I think the Bears have a fast hard hitting team on both sides of the ball. Bears have a good chance to win this one. Don't count out Archies kid just yet though. Don't think the Colts "D" is going to lay down.Colts have played tough nosed football this year. They found the heart to pound on both sides of the DMZ.

I WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A 4 X 4 PIECE OF PLEXIGLASS TO COVER MY SCREEN IN CASE I END UP THROWING SOMETHING BECAUSE OF A STUPID CALL OR BONEHEAD PLAY ON EITHER SIDE OF THE BALL. I JUST WANT TO SEE A "GREAT" GAME.

COLTS 34 - BEARS 27 IS MY GUESS. I MISSED THE BEARS VS SAINTS. I WOULDN'T PAY MUCH ATTENTION TO MY PICS. IF IT GOES BAD THERE IS ALWAYS ROCK AND ROLL!!

Officiating was quite atrocious during the year too (IMHO). I've got it recorded, I can come up with a single play where Bengals had the (thin) lead, defender not only goes in and tackles quarterback, he also causes fumble & bengals recover. Only minute or two left on clock. Bengals ball...run clock out and they win right? (this win would have been enough in hindsight to put them into playoffs)

but nooooooooooooooooooo, the ref says the defender roughed the quarterback (huh??? isn't he supposed to TACKLE the qb??)

Replay shows (IMHO) it to be a garden variety tackle and not roughing.

Net result?

Ball stays with (forget team), 15 yards, new set of downs...followed by game winning touchdown (or was it a fieldgoal??)

Was a real crap call. It really had the appearance (to me) that the ref simply had it out for the Bengals and used that as an opportunity to give the other team a chance.

I hope Chicago & Indy is a close game.

The call was roughing the passer-illegal hands to the head -- and they will call that every time. If the arm(s) are stretched or stretching out and contact is made with any part of the helmet you're going to see a flag. It doesn't matter if it's a feather touch. It's a bogus rule, but it was the right call. Now, I will say that any DB that does it in a critical situation should be castrated for being an idiot.

do I root for the Bears because they're in the NFC?

do I root for the Bears because they're in the Central Division?

do I root against the Bears because we in Wisconsin hate the Bears?

do I do nothing and not give a sh!t?

I don't watch much pro football. For me it's just not the same game anymore but I will say this. The Bears running back, (I don't even know his name) is one hard runnin' slick back and I figure he'll be the difference in this game.

Wait a minute! Rex Grossman plays for the Bears.

Go Colts!

Of course, those of us in St. Louis cannot root for a Chicago team to win it all. Plus, at times, offense can win a championship, and our town has its sole SB win because of offense.

Time for Manning to avoid the Marino curse and finally get his. And this Bears defense, while very, very good, is not as dominant as some might think (I'll take the '85 Bears defense or the '00 Ravens defense instead).

Oh, and its also time for Dungy to finally get a ring.

Colts win.

Carl.