Dean's at it Again!!!

meagain

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean, no problem. I was curious how you liked 'em too.

Shawn,

I heavily considered trying some metal diaphragmed mids and crossing steeply to try to achieve two-way w/ the Khorn bass bin. I'll be using the Ashly XR2001, which is 24dB/oct and has adjustable response at the crossover frequencies. Even steeper might be better, but the crux of it is I don't want to paint myself into a corner that willl prevent the use of first-order passives down the road. Also I don't want digital processing at least not at this point. As far as I can tell, these constraints pretty much mandate phenolic mids & three-way.

Right now the plan is Altec 203B w/ 290 and University 4402 tweeters (dual horn tweeters - split in half). May go ribbons up top - I've always loved ribbons and think I can get them to play well with the big vintage mids. It'd be nice to get that wide range mid along with response out to 30kHz.

" Have you ever heard a pair 2 foot apart??? Those speakers are designed to have some breathing room. Of course that means little in this case since the nut did the same thing with Khorns. I guess if the only criteria here is pinning your ears back then yea they should do nicely."

You know Craig, everybody had the same missconception of K-Horns in a small room until they were swayed in the small room at Hope last year[^o)]

Granted they need more than 2' but I would venture to say a pair of jubs in a 16 X 20 room would sound quite nice and of course anyone could crank the volume on up to solid distortion levels but why when a couple good watts would suffice very well[:o]

I know you LOVE Dean but give the man a chance as we'd all do the same for you[A]

16' X 20' is not a small room.

Dean's problem is not in over all room size its in room height and length. I'm not saying you can not get descent sound out of khorn's or a Jubilee's setup in a smaller room. I'm saying there is no way in hell they will ever sound even remotely as good as they could. I think if you heard them in a room where they could breath a bit you would be amazed. Dean was prodded into this endless path from just that type of room some 3 or 4 years back. I was there with him and previous to that day all Heritage were known as fire breathing mid range hell in Dean's opinion. He has been chasing that sound ever since and I'd venture to say he has not found it yet and never will until he moves into a much larger listening room. You don't need huge speakers for a dinky or very narrow room near field listening like Dean is doing in his room. Especially when your throwing a few grand out the window doing so. I'm being what is called a "true friend" and telling him like it is, the rest of you folks are just telling him what he wants to hear and enjoying the ride watching. I also told him the Khorns purchase was a huge mistake and judging by what has transpired with them I'd say I hit the nail on the head with that one. In fact if Dean is honest he will tell you flat out when he got his Khorn he thought the RF-7's he replaced sound a good measure better. Its pretty simple the dude is going back wards.

Craig

Dean,

I am behind your freedom of choice 100%. I hope that you ignore the pontifications of a certain browbeating poster here (initials N. O. S. V.)--he's just envious because all he has is La Scalas in his damp and smoky dungeon workroom. Don't worry about him beating your a$$ next time he sees you if you go ahead and buy Jubilees. He's gotta go through me first.

i find this talk of small room/med room/large room/men's room kinda of interesting. it seems that no one is taking into account the directivity of the system. and i don't mean just jubs; just directivity in general. a tightly controlled pattern greatly reduces involving the room. i have heard low directivity systems and high directivity systems in all kinds of room and those with high/controlled directivity are not as bothered with size of the room that much. now if you are talkling low end gain, small room can give excellent loading thus increasing how low the system will go, so again a small room can be an advantage. when i was playing with car stereo, in reg cab s-10 pickup, the bass loading started at around 200 hz, so with more air, that moves down. i think that dean is not taking a step backards.....i think he will doing a soft shoe jig!!

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Dean,

I am behind your freedom of choice 100%. I hope that you ignore the pontifications of a certain browbeating poster here (initials N. O. S. V.)--he's just envious because all he has is La Scalas in his damp and smoky dungeon workroom. Don't worry about him beating your a$$ next time he sees you if you go ahead and buy Jubilees. He's gotta go through me first.

Listen you little mealy worm-mouth Parrot I'll be just the one to tweak your beak...............it will be a joy plucking your feather to get to your winpy little freind Dean.

Craig

i find this talk of small room/med room/large room/men's room kinda of interesting. it seems that no one is taking into account the directivity of the system. and i don't mean just jubs; just directivity in general. a tightly controlled pattern greatly reduces involving the room. i have heard low directivity systems and high directivity systems in all kinds of room and those with high/controlled directivity are not as bothered with size of the room that much. now if you are talkling low end gain, small room can give excellent loading thus increasing how low the system will go, so again a small room can be an advantage. when i was playing with car stereo, in reg cab s-10 pickup, the bass loading started at around 200 hz, so with more air, that moves down. i think that dean is not taking a step backards.....i think he will doing a soft shoe jig!!

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

What the heck would you know you only work at Klipsch for pete's sake.... I'm talking in the real world not in your lab or is that a S-10 pickup truck..

Listen you little mealy worm-mouth Parrot I'll be just the one to tweak your beak...............it will be a joy plucking your feather to get to your winpy little freind Dean.

If you look at Meagain's avatar with the penguins, that is how we birds work. One day we're going to be walking in Antarctica, or even Michigan, and there's going to be a convenient hole in the ice, and . . . I'll say no more.

That reminds me, you know how to catch a polar bear? Cut a large hole in the ice, and line the hole with frozen peas.

Then, when the polar bear comes over to take a pea, you kick him in the ice hole.

Well Roy, I tried to explain to Craig that I was going to less speaker instead of more speaker because I'm dropping two drivers off my top sections, but he didn't buy it. I understand the directivity thing, I've gone over that issue in my mind quite a bit over the last few months. BTW, I hope you realize Craig's response to you was also somewhat tongue in cheek. He normally only abuses people he knows somewhat. He's not like Paul, who tends to abuse everyone whether he knows them or not.

Now Paul, I have to say in that post on the last page, Craig said a lot of things that I actually agree with. One thing is certainly true, I'll never get the vast and expansive soundstage in my room that you have in yours. OTOH, I'll never see the problem you have either -- the 40 foot female vocalist with a mouth the size of a two car garage.

Craig, what dimensions SHOULD a proper Khorn or Jubilee listening room be?

You work at Klipsch why don't you tell me??

I'm pretty sure by now that Michael has adopted the Cannon Principle: "A room is too small if you can't get the speaker through the door."

Now Paul, I have to say in that post on the last page, Craig said a lot of things that I actually agree with.

Of course you have to say this. N. O. S. V., or should I just say B. S. is browbeating you into submission. I notice he's extremely worried about you blowing $3000--that's because that's three grand that could be going to him instead!