Dean's at it Again!!!

meagain

I would like...... Craig, Dean, Parrot describe their impressions of each others' systems. :)

One thing neat about Craig's system is you can actually see the sound waves because they disrupt the cigarette smoke.

Just back from 5 day business trip and I get "treated" to this thread; maybe "mistreated". LMAO!!!

Rick

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul, you heard my Khorns when I first got them, I don't even think I had them pushed into the corners -- pulled back out and waiting for me to find the time to do something with them. Besides, they're a completely different speaker now anyways-- they sound almost as good as the RF-7's.:) BTW, I never really noticed this before, but you squeal like a downed parakeet when you're on the receiving end of things.

True, I heard your Klipschorns when they sounded good, before you bastardized them with aftermarket drivers. Of course initially we had SET amps hooked up to them, so they sounded like overcooked spaghetti.

Then after we put in real amps, I was mostly worried about the high SPLs vibrating your handguns so much that one of us would get shot.

So how did it sound before the said khorn was bastardized? :)

Your turn Craig

So - Do Craig's LaScalas sound better than Dean's khorns? Or does Craig think so?

I am the only one on earth who has heard my system in my home, Craig's system in Craig's home, AND Dean's system in Dean's home. That means I am the only one of us three who knows what he's talking about; the other two are speculating.

I only have 2 out of three covered.

I believe this thread has grown 2 pages since I started reading it!!

I would also like to hear each others description of the others systems, since they all have such fire in the belly when they discuss their own, or other, systems.

Back to someones comment about what is the correct size room for Jubes', one of my favorite talk show guys went off today on the Winterfest Carnival they hold for a couple weeks in MPLS/St. Paul. Seems last year on todays date, they cancelled some activity, possibly outdoor shuffleboard or who knows what, because it too warm for optimum play. Today, they cancelled this years outdoor softball tournament because it was supposed to be 10 below. It's winter. It's Minnesota. Do they expect to only have activities when it's between 18 and 26 degrees? A lot of people called in commenting that "back in the day" the cold was part of the thrill, everyone knew, but no one admitted, that there was Schnapps being consumed during the game, no one ever froze, and we all are better for it. PC sucks. Go outside, yeah it's cold, IT'S WINTER IN MINNESOTA!!! Don't like it, Texas is calling, but don't wreck it for the rest of us nuts.

Oh yeah... I'm not sure there would be an optimum size room for the Jubes. Wouldn't that depend on each particular listener and what their hearing capability was, and what they preferred to hear, be it low bass, sub bass, mid bass, lower mids, mids, upper mids, lower highs, etc... There may be a room configuration that allows the Jubes' to produce the flattest response to pink/white noise, but would anyone want to listen to music in there?

The sound over here is so clean and articulate that you can carry on a normal conversation without raising your voice while the speakers are playing at a 100dB steady state -- and the sound transcends both time and space -- it sounds as good in the bathroom down in the basement as it does in the chair in front of the system. With their systems, listeners need to resort to lip reading and signing even at the lowest volumes because of the distortion. I'm sure in Paul's case it's because he's not using networks built by me. In Craig's case, I'm sure it's the Crites tweeter -- and not the networks built by me.

It certainly does have legs!

Hey Dean, you happen to know a Bob McKinley in Kettering? He was my best friend in high school in Lima, went to Shawnee, also best man in my wedding 20+ years ago, we've lost touch, but when I saw the location on your sig, it reminded me that's where I last knew of him residing.

Also, this reply page has a completly different look than I'm used to. Are we going through some more site updates as I type? Time will tell.

Sorry, I don't know him -- Kettering's not really a small town.

you gonna get the sticking jubs or not?

Your guess is as good as mine -- I'm trying. Something somewhere says the prayers of a righteous man availeth much. I could use some help, so get busy.:)

So - Do Craig's LaScalas sound better than Dean's khorns? Or does Craig think so?

I am the only one on earth who has heard my system in my home, Craig's system in Craig's home, AND Dean's system in Dean's home. That means I am the only one of us three who knows what he's talking about; the other two are speculating.

I only have 2 out of three covered.

Better than a poke in the eye. Close enough to holding the secrets of the universe. But will we ever know??

Oh yeah... I'm not sure there would be an optimum size room for the Jubes. Wouldn't that depend on each particular listener and what their hearing capability was, and what they preferred to hear, be it low bass, sub bass, mid bass, lower mids, mids, upper mids, lower highs, etc... There may be a room configuration that allows the Jubes' to produce the flattest response to pink/white noise, but would anyone want to listen to music in there?

People people people.... it's really easy... the optimum size room for a pair of Jubilees, is any room you care to put them in.

[8-|]

Well, we sure didn't fool anyone did we? Ain't like the old days where the three us of could slap each other around and the rest of the forum would come in and try to save us from each other.

I thought the back and forth between you and Roy was a riot though -- I about died when you put up the Designer's Cookbook.:)

"you can carry on a normal conversation without raising your voice while the speakers are playing at a 100dB steady state"

This is sitting in front of the speakers in the normal listening position?

What size is your room?

We listen at levels that don't come close to that and still have to raise our voices a bit to carry on a conversation. I know, I know.....it's because of the amps I use. ;) Actually this is even the case with the Teacs, which have the cleanest output I've heard.

I'm asking because I don't think this is something I will ever experience.

Erik

Erik, I was just kidding, it wasn't intended to be serious. I don't think there much in the last three or four pages that was meant in a serious way. Trust me, even as good I think it sounds over here -- when I do jack the volume, no one's getting through to me unless they pass me a note.

I want to see some blood letting. Like on 'Rome'. I guess we'll never know who's system kicks the most or least a**. Unless of course someone wants to PM me! (insert big smile devil icon thingy here).

Dean - Why don't you build some jubilees and keep the khorns (stock version) for crossover listening. And sell the Trachs to me.... cheap. Then you'd have everything.