Dean's at it Again!!!

meagain

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Richard, maybe you should haul your Jubilees to Indy this summer and we'll race for pink slips. Whoever still has people sitting in their chairs after a half of hour of listening -- wins. No, I'm not convinced that Jubilees sound better then what I'm running. They may sound better than Klipschorns -- but so do mine!

Unlimited SPL??? to boot??? or are you goign to handicap me to keeping it under 130 db's??

[6]

As a serious comment... if you're not sure Jubilees sound better than what you got... why on earth would you sell what you have, spend more money and not gain in sound??

So...with that...why don't you whip on down here some Saturday for a listen??? might be money/time well spent?

If you LOVE the sound, then carry on...if you feel it's no better, than stay where you are.

??

Serious invitation... but if you do it, I might request you bring me a box of Graeters (I'll buy, you carry...cheaper than UPS). Come to think of it...I might ask you bring me a Chesters too...from Hamilton. It'll make a great lunch for us IF you can keep your cotten picking hands off of it on the way.

[:D]

As I mentioned earlier on other thread, I am sure you are under estimating the value of your super-charged Khorns. My lesser 2002 stock Khrons went for $3700 locally via Audiogon.

I am shocked someone from this fourm hadn't jumped all over it ... knowing the speakers... If you would take them back to its original shape and reduce your asking price few hundred bucks, it will go fast, IMO. $1400....Did you keep your old frames, tweeters, and AK-4s?

If I only had two more coners... salivating uncontrollably in Seattle.

Now you know why I stipulated that the winner is the one that still has people sitting in their chairs after a half hour of listening.:)

You SERIOUSLY underestimate my ability to cheat!!! I have some grade 100 alloy chain that my full sized industrial backhoe can't even seem to break!!!

Our volunteers will have more chain wrapped around them than a Mafia victom 'jumping' from a bridge...

Richard, LOL -- it might be easier to hire Brennen to stand behind one of my speakers and run a sazaw while they're playing. You asked the same thing Craig asked, why go from a known to an unknown. Well, most of this ride from the beginning has been kind of like that. I didn't hear any of my drivers or a lot of the gear I've purchased in the past until I actually put it in the system. I mean, that's part of the fun, and part of the motivation is the curiosity. Finally, the Jubilee bottoms are a means to an end. You can't really play with the large format drivers with the Klipschorn because the bass bin doesn't go high enough. I may never end up with a sound that I think is subjectively better then I have now, but that isn't the only factor here. It's a hobby, and I like to play -- and it's not likely that I will end up with a sound that's worse.

Ki, I know longer have the original parts, but I know where they all are. Speakerfritz bought my motorboards and horns, and he's already emailed me graciously offering to sell them back to me. Joe Auwen has my drivers and networks stuffed in a closet somewhere. I think I sold Joe those parts for $1100. I think Fritz spent $250 or so on the motorboards/grills -- that's where I came up with the $1400 figure to revert them back. I suppose I'd do it someone asked me too, but I think it's a step backwards.

Shawn, ain't that the truth.

Am I correct that you've not heard Jubilees before and you're going to sell your speakers on the assumption you'll love them?

If true - maybe Craig is right.

Craig might be right... but we have Ralph (in London) who bought a pair sight AND sound unseen and then had them shipped halfway across the world. We also have Bob in Seattle who as we sit here, has an order in (Feb build date I think?) and he has never seen nor heard them.

We then have Bill (I think it was) in Colorado who's never heard them, thinking about them for his business and last, Rich in Texas who I think has never heard even a LaScala (nor Cornwall nor Belle nor Khorn) and he's thinking about a pair.

Sooooooooo, Dean might be in good company OR maybe Mike & I are the only sane ones here given we at least had a 3 minute audition??

[*-)]

"...I might know someone that can make some extreme slope passives for them..."

Ha! He'd make me build them. I've seen the one's JC built. Too many parts, I'd just get all confused trying to build them. I've been collaborating with BEC on a Jubilee network. So far we're up to a board, cap, coil, and autoformer. Bob wants to get rid of the board.:)

Just caught the bit about the invitation Richard. Man, that's a long drive.:(

Dean,

"Finally, the Jubilee bottoms are a means to an end. You can't really play with the large format drivers with the Klipschorn because the bass bin doesn't go high enough. I may never end up with a sound that I think is subjectively better then I have now, but that isn't the only factor here. It's a hobby, and I like to play -- and it's not likely that I will end up with a sound that's worse."

It will be considered Heresy by some (hahh....) but the other route to opening up your choices to experiment is going with LaScala's or Belle's. Both can go higher then the K'horn.

On the flip side they of course can't go as low as the K'Horn/Jubilee but that just gives you new avenues to explore pairing them up with *good* subs. Done right and you would end up with a system that goes lower then the K'Horn/Jubilee.

Shawn

Dean,

As you know I am very interested in these and should be in a position to get them the end of February. Unfortunately, I live in central Florida and the gas alone on my truck would probably run me $350 round trip. Anybody traveling from Ohio to Disneyland anytime in the next 3 months?

If I were to get them I would want the false corners as I only have 1 corner at the moment. I'll look at the threads posted above and do some reading.

Mike