NA na na na na......

Audio Flynn

I heard real near field music Thursday night. 8th grade big band jazz and then string ensemble. 3 pieces each.

Strings played Pink Panther. Too cool!

I have been fortunate to hear the "pups" play like this due to my 4 kids for the last 12 years very frequently.

When is the last time you heard real instruments?

Rick,

Both of our daughters played violin from 4th grade to the present. You are right, it is cool listening to live music. The real satisfaction I got was watching and hearing these same kids from 4th grade to 12th grade and seeing and hearing the improvment. Our girls were both blessed with the talent to play and they were both fortunate to play in orchastras that were competitive. [Y]

One hour ago actually. Just got back from the CSO:

dzinman.jpg

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Classics From The Big Screen

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
David Zinman, conductor

J. Strauss - On the Beautiful Blue Danube
Ligeti - Lontano
Ligeti - Atmospheres
R. Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra musicnote_red.gif

David Zinman leads the CSO in classics that have been featured in great films by directors Stanley Kubrick and Martin Scorsese, including Johann Strauss' On the Beautiful Blue Danube and Richard Strauss' Also sprach Zarathustra from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Laast weekend I saw Corey Haris at the Blues Alley, guitar, base guitar and drums. Very intimate setting.

Friday
night, Pace De Lucia, the worlds formost flemenco guitarist at the
Lisner Auditorium at George Washinton Unviersity. Also an
excellent venue with stellar acoustics. Guitars, female vocal,
electtric bass, mouth-organ,drums and soem keyboard action..

Friday night, Pace De Lucia, the worlds formost flemenco guitarist at the Lisner Auditorium at George Washinton Unviersity. Also an excellent venue with stellar acoustics. Guitars, female vocal, electtric bass, mouth-organ,drums and soem keyboard action..

Hey Thebes,

Is Pace related to Paco?... because he's pretty good too. [:P]

I hope things are going well for you my brother!

Mike

I see a live band at least once a month sometimes more depending on who is coming through town. The last band I saw that was really suprising was the unknown hinson. I expected just a fun band as the gimmick was King Of The Country Western Troupadors and he is supposed to be a vampire bringing rock and roll straight from hell. The Unknown Hinson was hilarious but he was one of the best guitar I have seen in years and there was nothing country about him.

If he comes to town again we are going to see him again.
Tour Dates for TN, GA, IN, NC, FL, KY, OH 

• Moderators

Right now Mardi Gras is going on so I hear them at every parade.

Jay

Also you can hear some very good street musicians in the French Quarter. We found out if you want to hear Jazz you have to get down there early, the last bunch of times we went down there we got there late and all that was left in the clubs were " house bands " mostly rock.

They really need to have more jazz clubs back in the Quarter, and less tee shirt and junk shops.

Also you can hear some very good street musicians in the French Quarter. We found out if you want to hear Jazz you have to get down there early, the last bunch of times we went down there we got there late and all that was left in the clubs were " house bands " mostly rock.

They really need to have more jazz clubs back in the Quarter, and less tee shirt and junk shops.

dtel you are so right about that, it will get there in time. The city is far from back on it's feet IMO.

Jay

I really like concert music live, and it keeps up my frame of reference for how instruments sound. That's how I judge speakers, and in fact all equipment. Last Thursday, we went to a great concert by the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, conducted by Ivan Fischer, the NSO Principal Guest Conductor. They played two works: Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 1, and the complete A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture and Incidental Music.

The symphony, which I'd thought of as a juvenile work, was a surprise and a delight. Well, it's actually outstanding, lots of momentum, astonishing variety, and innovation. We agreed it was ASTOUNDING that Mendelssohn was only 15 years old when he wrote it! Afterward, I spent an hour listening to many recording excerpts on Amazon.com. In contrast to Fischer's extremely good conducting, most lacked the spirit, sweep, and even interest of orchestras and conductors. I thought the best was by Bernard Haitink and the London PO on Phillips: Mendelssohn the Complete Symphonies, Vol. 1. I would recommend only this recording or one by the National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland on Naxos.

The Midsummer Night's Dream was beautifully conducted. but regrettably lacked the narrative excerpts from Shakespeare that Mendelssohn wrote into the score!! It sounded disorganized and patchy compared with my fave recording on an old RCA LP. The women's chorus, which came from the University of Maryland, was oddly scattered through the orchestra instead of being seated together. Srill, it was a magical performance of this magical work. This CD is probably quite satisfactory: http://www.amazon.com/Mendelssohn-Midsummer-complete-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B000001GM6/sr=1-2/qid=1171218265/ref=sr_1_2/105-9370109-6359608?ie=UTF8&s=music.

Larry