Listening to other forum members systems

MacKlipsch

Jobman,

I guess it's just us two in the NorCal area. BTW, what happened with the setup help with my 1975 Belles? :> ) Anyway, if you've been in the Forum, you know I had them shipped in from PA, hooked them up and immediately began looking for ways to make them sound better, thus the Bi-wiring Belles post where you can get up to date on that 2 channel, music only system. My HT setup has KLF-20's, RS3-II's, KSW-15, KSW-12, KLF-C7 and sometime I add KG-4.2's to fill in the blanks. I'm pretty tied up until the ice hockey season is over, but we should definitely hook up. I'll forever want KHorns and would love to hear yours. Drop me an email so we can stay in touch to hook it up sometime in the spring. The same goes for anyone else who hit's the "Delta" in northern CA.

Klipsch out.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about 35 miles South of Calgary and would welcome the opportunity to listen to some good Klipsch systems and If any of you would like to hear mine just send me an Email -(check my profile).

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

Anyone who wants to listen to my "beginner system" is more than welcome!! I would love to have some people over to hear it!

Yamaha HTR 5460 ----110 x 5 RMS

Klipsch RF-3 II Main Speakers

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

And more Klipsch to come......

------------------

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings.....-Pink Floyd, Learning To Fly

• 4 weeks later...

I'm home at night and most of the time on the weekends.

Mid-state North Carolina,but do it within the next month,might be movin out of statecwm35.gif

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 15" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

106"16:9 screen w/NEC LT150 front projector

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

Guess I missed this post the first time out. Thanks for bringing it topside!

Jobman, Jazman, you're not quite alone. I'm just the other side of Sacto. A couple hour drive for you but if your 'in the hood', drop me a 'head's up' and come over. Naturally goes for anyone else interested.

HT Setup is pre '55 Khorns (LF, RF), '74 Belle (center) and '83 Cornwalls (RR, LR).

------------------

Ed

Lynnm, I occasionaly get out to Calgary, May try to drop you a line next time I'm heading that way.

I moved back to Sask. Last Summer and brought my Klipsches with me.... :D

If you ever head towards Regina Give me a Call.

For Our American Friends...

Look for the little dot on the Map, Just NORTH of Montana ... :D

------------------

Gear: Klipsch La Scala ;THX home cinema: KT-LCR, KT-SW15

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Panasonic RP91 DVD

NAD 7140 Stereo receiver powering LaScalas

Count me in if someone would like to hear both new & vintage Heritage speakers (1974 K-horns, KB-RO) and (Heresy II) located in the NYC - Long Island area.

Have a variety of custom-made triode monoblocks to play with... 2A3 SET's, 2A3 push-pulls, 300B or 50 or 10 SET monoblocks. Front ends are either SACD or Redbook CD. Preamp is a custom transformer coupled Western Electric 437A. Tuner with antenna is a Mac MR-78.

cwm35.gif

To anybody down here in "Red Stick", I'd be more than happy for you to drop by and enjoy my legend 30's. Just pm or e-mail me and we'll set up a time.

Da' Hog--

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

anyone coming down to the 'big easy' for MARDI GRAS should pm me, i'll be glad to demo my new ht room-btw-klipsch speakers at high volume make great hairdryers Smile.gif avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

and chiming in from Yakutat, AK.

Running 1982 KHorns( AK original crossover) powered by Assemblage SET tube amp (love it!) and Heresy speakers powered by Adcom GFA545II, both fed by Adcom GFP565 preamp , upline Adcom GCD750 or JVC QLY5F turntable, depending on source material. All this in a dedicated stereo room..all two channel, no surround, no phone, no video. Anyone visiting Yakutat is welcome to audition, email me or pm me...no fish guiding tho! That's up to you!!

Steve

------------------

Happiness is coming

This message has been edited by steve on 02-06-2002 at 04:01 AM

mdeneen,

My Upstate NY friends (Dr. Arthur Loesch designed / built by John Wiesner) built this line stage pre-amp consisting of a 5AR4 (GZ34) rectifier with two, Western Electric 437A indirectly heated triodes.

The link below has a similar looking pre-amp except mine is transformer choke loaded (instead of so much cap filtering) on top of the chassis. Also, mine has engraved gold plates over the L/R volume controls and 4 position input. Also has 4 sets of outputs in rear (for quad amping! ha!)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tubelust/euridice.jpg

Here's a description of the pre-amp from the EnjoytheMusic website;

Seen here is the Euridice which is a line stage preamplifier that, uniquely, uses an output transformer! The wickedly expensive yet very good WE-437A triode is employed as is 6CJ3 damper diodes in the power supply. Paper in oil caps, Black Gate capacitors, and other exotica are all housed in a gorgeous birds-eye maple cabinet. The output transformers are the Mega-Hertz TL-311 for those who were wondering. Looks really cool with the front-mounted meter too!

The line stage has a ton of gain and produces a very quick sounding (w/slam & authority) soundstage while maintaining the magical midrange of my 2A3 SET amps. Also, the system is extremely quiet (dead) at idle. Very important to me when using 104 dB sensitive K-horns.

Pete

437_2.jpg

When the little Western Electric 437A came out, a number of people attempted to employ the little beast in designs. It is surely NOT CHEAP!! I have yet to hear one of these designs but am looking forward to it. I have found that I dont need as much gain, however.

What 2A3 amps are you running? Are these home brew?

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-07-2002 at 09:46 AM

Mobile,

I really don't need that much gain also but it's nice to have the "headroom" when listening to dynamic, classical pieces, especially SACD recordings. On the pre-amp, normal listening levels at 9 o'clock. Extremely loud at 12 o'clock. When my audiophile (audiophool) buddies come over to listen, I usually play (blues, R&R, jazz, classical) at 11 o-clock. The dynamics & inner details blow them away. They can't believe that "old (1974)" speakers can sound soooo good.

Hopefully, attached, is a picture, of one of my 2A3 / 45 SET convertible amps built by my buddy, John Wiesner. Utilizes a great power supply (choke loaded filters with a large, NOS UTC power transformer), Mullard GZ34 (with the 2A3), 6SL7 WGT driver with Tango OPT's. Pretty magical sounding and extremely quiet. Of the 100's of amps John W has built, he told me this was his quietest. Also cool, is that with a flip of a switch (& changing the rectifier to a 5V4), I can use a 45 output tube, similar to Gordon Rankin's Wavelength design.

Very neat looking amp! Ole John likes his nameplate, doesnt he!?! heh... Looks like in interesting design. Gordon's convertable 2A3/45 "Gemini" is now out in Parafeed form and is supposed to be even a bit quieter than the normal MQ iron version - it's also a grand more so I hope it's something!

Have you tried rolling in various NOS 2A3 and 6SL7? After having tried all sorts of 2A3, I have come to love my '44 RCA JAN CRC VT95 2A3 Black Plates. So far, nothing I have had in my system compares to the sonics of this tube... I actually feel my entire body just go "limp" when I power them up! I simply have heard no modern 2A3 counterpart deliever this much soul. The Sovtek 2A3 is a great deal and people love it. I dont think it compares in the subtlty department. The Sovtek might be slightly more powerful, but sounds coarse next to the RCA. Gordon hates biplates but I dont see where he is coming from. I have yet to hear the AVVT Meshplates, however. The KR were a total disappointment...and I really didnt prefer the TJ Full Music globe Meshplate 300b/2.5v either. It sounded rather thick and slow..but was very rich sounding. I thought it too ponderous...a bit murky as well.

I got HUGE sonic dividends from rolling out my 6SN7 as well. Hope you have tried various 6SL7. Waiting to hear a good 45 amp. My Cornwalls wound not really do it justice although I wouldnt mind trying!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-07-2002 at 11:35 AM