What's Up with Neil Young ?

Have you Neil Young fans noticied the amount of Neil Young Product being sold on the marketplace now? Non-stop old concerts, interview materials, CD's................just a Glut all of a sudden.......What's up with that? Somebody just wake up and discovered Neil, or time to make some money? Not knocking Neil, at all, just alot of product available out of nowhere.....................

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least it's Neil selling himself rather than what most old classic rockers do.....sell their music to corporations for advertising. Like The Who's Pete Townsend, who has sold Who songs to just about every kind of corp and product. The most interesting occasion is the Tommy Overture playing over some ad for a prescription medication......remembering of course that this is the same band who sang about losing your mind by way of a handful of leapers on the 5:15........now that's hilarious!!!

I read where Pete was quoted as saying "They are my songs, I'll do what the $#!@ I want with them." He is correct. And AFAIC, so is Neil........but even better, because he is selling himself, and not pimping some other product in the process. I mean, seriousleh - hasn't The Who sold enough tickets at $250 each to avoid the need to hear thier music wafting over script ads???? Jeez......

Neil already did his pimpin'.............................. I personally wish Townsend and Roger would stop touring as the Who, With half the band Keith/John gone, I think it's time to stop. If Pete and Roger want to tour and perform music by the Who, that's fine, but retire the band name....back to Neil, just alot of new OLD material out or coming out shortly, they hold this stuff back for years......The boomer's have the cash.......Gee, didn't the Who sing about the old men and their money???????????????

You ask What's up with Neil Young?

The answer is that he's finally releasing his archives materials that he's been talking about for 20 years. Fillmore East and Massey Hall are the first two, being in the Performance Series, ie live concert material, this fall there will be an 8 CD boxed set released encompassing something like 1964-1972. Unreleased songs or alternate takes is what is expected in the box. I think there will be four volumes (boxes) in all. Its not clear how many of the single Performance Series there will be though.

For those of us who are seriously into his work, this is a great time.

Nothing Neil Young related happens at Warner Bros without the concurrence of Neil and his manager. All the releases are being mixed, designed and planned by Neils archivist crew.

It's not a tuma. Neil had a Brain Aneurysm that did not get the chance to burst. He had surgery to stuff it full of little springs that induced scar tissue to fill the aneurysm and render it not a problem. This was done by running a tool up a blood vessel from his leg eventually reaching his head and the aneurysm. Super amazing process.

If you have the opportunity to pick up the new release Fillmore East 1970 concert, I highly recommend the final track, Cowgirl in the Sand. That version has the most enticing Neil Young guitar playing I've heard on any of his work.

I suggest we have a presidential election coming in 2008 .. Marketing, yes, and perfect timing too. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So let's get in on that gravytrain of put em on stage.... they speak for us... Start!

This current summer it will begin and roll into 2008 too. Your going to see a LOT of your favorites come out of no where, trust me!

My point is, that they have held back all this material on purpose, and waited 25 years or more to release it...............Furture Marketing, I guess it's gonna' work...............the Boomers will pay for it......Even Neil Young is part of it............kinda' sad in a way........$$$$$$$$$$$ RULES............

But does he still have the whinny voice on all of these new releases. Loved some of his song writing but his voice is like fingernails on a blackboard. The only album that the vocals were good on was rust never sleeps. The style fit the voice on that one.

My point is, that they have held back all this material on purpose, and waited 25 years or more to release it...............Furture Marketing, I guess it's gonna' work...............the Boomers will pay for it......Even Neil Young is part of it............kinda' sad in a way........$$$$$$$$$$$ RULES............

Buckerster, you sure have a negative mindset, and a conniving train of thought............. kinda' sad in a way

Buckerster, you sure have a negative mindset, and a conniving train of thought............. kinda' sad in a way

Forgive Me, I don't get your point....what am I missing ??? Isn't it strange all this product shows up now, after what 25, 30 years ? Why now, why not 15 years ago? Fair question, I feel..................

The reason I am familiar with as to why Neil is releasing the archives now, is that Neil has been waiting for digital technology to get to a place that is better than redbook CD, as well as improvements in digital sampling and editing. As in, he's as satisfied as he can get with high res audio in the DVD-Audio format. Therefore, out comes his archives in high rez. If he wanted money, he would have released years ago at lower resolution. One of the easiest things one can find out about Neil Young is that he's not out for money, he's out to follow his creativity wherever it takes him, regardless of sales. His record contracts are such that he can still live comfortably while some records sell hardly anything.

I'm with Gilbert here, what is your motive buckster? Why the conniving train of thought, what are you getting at? what has you down? Can you entertain the possibility that the things I've posted in this thread are true and that Neil is not out for money?

Forgive Me, I don't get your point....what am I missing ??? Isn't it strange all this product shows up now, after what 25, 30 years ? Why now, why not 15 years ago? Fair question, I feel..................

There's nothing to forgive, it's your opinion. The question you just posted is certainly fair, but the silly insinuations are definitely wrong and unwarranted. Clearly showing how your mind set works.

Loud & Clear is obviously what I would call a true fan, where as I am only a fan of his older (70's stuff).

Based on a program I saw about Neil (last year), he is somewhat of a recluse, and carrys the burden of a death on his shoulders. Hence the song, The Needle and The Damage Done". He's certainly a strange man, but most brilliant minds are.

How does my mind set work? I feel Neil,and alot of others has held back material for years, on purpose to cash in at a later date which is now! Neil and the Boys know that the majority of TRUE FANS are 45 to 65 years old, and tend to have more money to spend on such things. Just watch your ads on TV, they for the most part are geared to Boomers, and that's the truth, and deep down you know it. I am not a BIG Neil Young fan, it just happens that his music came of age with my age group, he is a Rock n' Roll Legend, and I will not dispute that, but all of these guys cute marketing tactics get old after awhile............and that's how my mind set works. Just speakin' my mind, if that offends, I'm Sorry...............Let's see how much of the New Batch of Neil is Good, and how much is clear PRODUCT......................

Oldbuckster,

I'd rate the first archive release, Live at Fillmore East 1970 is a solid A- overall if you like the album Everybody Knows this is Nowhere. The concert was on the tour for that record. The final song on that record, Cowgirl in the Sand is my favorite Neil Young recording period. That should say something about the quality of this archival output.

The second archive release comes out Tues 3/13/2007 and is the 1/19/1971 Massey Hall show in Canada. All acoustic. I have a bootleg/tape traded version of this show and it is A+ if you like the 'whiney voice' acoustic stuff and like the 1970 record After the Goldrush.

These letter grades are relative to the level of work in the previously released material, so I feel that the first two releases have quality levels at least at the same level of the original releases.

Did you buy the Fillmore record? Are you going to buy the Massey record? If not, how do you plan on evaluating if the new stuff is good or clear product?

What are the cute marketing tactics of Neil Young that you mention above? (you said: all of these guys cute marketing tactics get old after awhile) Who else are you talking about along with Neil?

As I've said before, the live show releases I've described above are in the Archives Performance Series. The main Archives box sets are studio/rough draft material. That as a whole has a hard time competing with the previously released records. This stuff is not intended for everyone, its going to be bought by the thousands (not millions) of serious Neil fans who already have ALL the released records and are clamouring for more.

I'm just taking it a bit hard that you're claiming Neil's release of this material is based on greed and that you're lumping him in with other musicians who don't have the same history of artistic integrity (pronounced making the record he wants to without regard for sales).

Needless to say, we don't see this the same way. I'll continue to buy and listen to what I consider to be the best music from the best artist. As always, you are free to not buy it and buy other stuff. I'm sorry if Neil advertised this material and it offended you as a greedy ploy.

My comment bears Neil's name just because that's who we're talking about. I have no axe to grind with, or about Neil. Remember, in my opinion Old Ways is his most complete, and best album.................I asked the question if Neil knew about these releashes, you responded, he gives his approval, so he is part of the marketing..............Don't you get tired of Jimi Hendrix albums being releashed all the time, Don't you get tired of all the old music used to sell everything, the Allman Brothers releashing 30 + years old concerts they just found.....the fact that this material has been around so long and never releashed, I don't believe they just found it, I believe it was held back, on purpose, to be releashed at a later date....I call that long term marketing..................I am not offended at all............releash whatever they want.............I do have the final say, I can Buy It, or Not.!!!!!! I am just alittle surprised at Neil for being part of it........but Hey, a man's gotta' eat..........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really want to argue about it, this is just the way I see it, never said I was right, just curious at all the releashes he has coming out, almost flooding the market...........