Is your sound system destoying your house or contents?

skeg1967

I've heard of some finer systems destroying checking and savings accounts...

90dB 8 hours

93db 4 hours

96dB 2 hours

99dB 1 hour

102dB 30 minutes

105dB 15 minutes

108dB 7 minutes 30 seconds

111dB 4 minutes 15 seconds

114dB 1 minute 52 seconds

117dB 56 seconds

120dB 28 seconds

123dB 14 seconds

126dB 7 seconds

129dB 3.5 seconds

132dB 1.8 seconds

I've heard of some finer systems destroying checking and savings accounts...

90dB 8 hours

93db 4 hours

96dB 2 hours

99dB 1 hour

102dB 30 minutes

105dB 15 minutes

108dB 7 minutes 30 seconds

111dB 4 minutes 15 seconds

114dB 1 minute 52 seconds

117dB 56 seconds

120dB 28 seconds

123dB 14 seconds

126dB 7 seconds

129dB 3.5 seconds

132dB 1.8 seconds

Judging by the chart , I should be legaly deaf .

What damage has your sound system done to your house and contents?

Regards Skeg.

Other than reduced my ability to pay for my house?

- Jim

[Y]

It's an insidious disease Kev. I'm worried that DCFS may drop by my house because I'm raising my kids to be Cubs fans.

In the words of Jack Brickhouse "Anyone can have a bad century".

- Jim

I noticed a weird phenomenon a while back where a very small pile of dirt would form on the floor just below one of the windows in the room directly above my stereo. I concluded that my subwoofer must be shaking loose some stuff from the windows and walls. I moved my subwoofer and don't have the problem anymore.

I do have a few misaligned pictures on the wall in my bar area due to excessive SPLs.

Got a bad habit of using the stacked THX subs as a CD/DVD table. Knocked a pile off last night showing off the system to HarryO. It was kind of cool the way the stack started this funny rotation/dance before tumbling to the floor.

I have my great-grandmothers oak china cabinet in my HT room and it's full of dishes, old glasses, teacups- you know- old lady stuff.

When it starts vibrating I turn it down.

Don't want to break a teacup,

or my ears.

M

• Moderators

All of the wall hangings in our master bedroom keep time to the music, but I think it's because the sub is just on the other side of the wall.[:P] It's pretty cool the way everything kinds of bounces and shakes with the beat of the music.

Oh yes, and our windows sometimes rattle when dtel and the rest of the gang watch a movie, okay the windows rattle most of the time when they watch a movie. Okay...I'll be totally honest....the whole house rattles when they watch a movie.

Speaking of Sub-woofers, even though I was only hitting 145.0 db in the car w/dual 10"s and 600W,   I always used hearing protection.  AND YES TO ANSWER THE PRIOR QUESTION........seen many cars loosened up due to subwoofer output (generally 150+ db levels).  Takes time,  but it will happen even to the best of them.  LMAO.......every time I reach the 144.8 db level,  my rearview mirror falls too.  

I know exactly what you mean and see examples of this almost everyday. I live in the hood in downtown little rock. When a car cruises by with bass that shakes everything around the cars sound like they could fall apart at any moment tons of rattling.... I am really waiting for this to happen just once. 

Every once in a while, it's time for the "Wall of Voodoo".... After about an hour, several things happen: WAF results in a slap across the back of my head; dogs, cats, horses and the neighbor's dogs run for cover; but every once in a while, the soul demands such spl's. Does one good, and if but for a few minutes..., "The memories of an old man are deeds of a man in his prime" - Pink Floyd

• Like 1

my god, are those all yours? by the way, the only time i ever actually drove my kids out of the house was playing pink floyd (the culprit not being the content but the volume...). my daughter gave me hell but i'm trying to help her with developing her cultural sense... necesary life skills must contain some classic rock at ear splitting levels!

pete

Hey Marshall that looks like a bed in the foreground so is this a bedroom system that you cobbled together? Do you have it set to an alarm clock?

By the way what's that color strip doing in the upper right hand corner. You're not going to paint all the speakers pink are you?

Every once in a while, it's time for the "Wall of Voodoo".... After about an hour, several things happen: WAF results in a slap across the back of my head; dogs, cats, horses and the neighbor's dogs run for cover; but every once in a while, the soul demands such spl's. Does one good, and if but for a few minutes..., "The memories of an old man are deeds of a man in his prime" - Pink Floyd

Posted Image

You are not well. Seriously... seek help.

I hope to be just like you when I grow up!

Hey Marshall that looks like a bed in the foreground so is this a bedroom system that you cobbled together? Do you have it set to an alarm clock?

By the way what's that color strip doing in the upper right hand corner. You're not going to paint all the speakers pink are you?

It "turns on" with the timer and the TASCAM tuner unit to NPR and the Heresy's at 5:30 AM. Gotta get the kids up, fed and on the school bus.

Let's just not go there with the bed thing....[6] But...., applying my simple multi-tasking skills..., the bed is on a 24" tall enclosed wooden frame with a subwoofer at the headboard end. Inside the frame is a "split" plywood "horn" that opens at both "foot" ends on the sides. Gives a new meaning to the phrase "tactile transducer" under circumstances we dare not mention..... [<:o)]

The birch stain color reference strip is the WAF temperature gauge that depends on volume.....[:D]