Holy crap, everybody turn on the news about Virginia Tech...

ibanezhater

Horrible, I live about 90 miles from there and lived there for several years as a youngster while my father finished his engineering degree from Tech. I know people who have kids who go there and I have not been able to find out if everyone in our immediate circle is safe yet.

It was said well in an earlier post, just off yourself. There is a very special place in hell for this a$$hole!

God be with the families!

As far as I know, the shooter's identity has not been confirmed yet.

What a terrible waste...all those innocent students snuffed out for no reason whatsoever! I really feel for the families who lost loved ones today in this senseless act.

I fear many lawsuites will be filed against both the university and the local police dept. for not locking down the school after the first shootings took place. Possibly many lives could have been spared afterwards if the students were alerted to remain in their dorms and classrooms early on...but it was a hard call to make when they assumed the first series of shootings were over.

$hit like this really pisses me off!

Policy is typically a reactionary outcome from a past action. Fortunantly, nothing like this, at least in this manner, has happened before with such a lag in between incidents. Had I had to make a call like that I'm not so sure I would not have assumed the shooter had fled as well.

It really is a loose/loose situation, and the worst that could have happened, happened.

I'll never understand mean people. I can better understand mentally ill people, but cruel and evil people, I'll never understand.

Bad times, bad times...

Are there more bad people these days, or just more people?

Communication
can be a difficult tool. Some years ago, a jewelry store was robbed a
few blocks away from my house. After I came home from work and
showered for a night out, I left my house on foot without ever having
heard the news. The smell of flares was in the air, and I saw SWAT
mobile command units parked down the street. I was curious, but when
lights were trained on me, it wasn't until I saw the news cameras
pointed AT me that I realized I was inside the area that was cordoned
off! I didn't fit the profile of the thief (still in hiding), and was
quickly ushered to the "outside".

Tonight, my thoughts are with all of us. For we, as a global society, have suffered another loss.

Apparently, the guy went in looking for his girlfriend.

You know, if life is that bad, be a man and just off yourself. Don't go dragging innocent people who like living down with you. Just my opinion.

Keep all of those families in your prayers.

Paul

Amen. The crimes I hate hearing about the most is people killing other people and then themself. I don't agree with suicide as a way out, but don't put an end to other people's lives while doing such a cowardly act.

• Moderators

Really sad, and really sad that it's going to come down to schools and businesses are going to have to be " locked down " to try and be safe.

Like it's been said here already, if you must do something crazy, take yourself out not innocent people, what's the point ?

Really sad, and really sad that it's going to come down to schools and businesses are going to have to be " locked down " to try and be safe.

I am sorry dtel but that sounds like putting the cart before the horse.

This is definitely a tragic event among many tragic events and posthumously chastising the disturbed shooter isn't going to keep the next emotionally disturbed shooter from getting his hands on a gun. It is going to be interesting to find where this individual got his firearms. [^o)]

FWIW, It is good to read if any of you develop mental problems you have the foresight to do the right thing. [:S]

Hey DTEL,

Very sad indeed. I doubt locking down anything will do any good at all. An individual like this will find any means necessary to complete his act. Whether it be home made bombs, poisons, lethal gas, guns, or a kitchen knife. These "disturbed individuals" are akin to the homocide bombers terrorizing the mid-east. It is hard to stop someone with an intense focus on destruction. I don't think the general thinking processes of civilization can properly prepare for acts like this. The means to perpetrate these acts will be found. Subways, businesses, restaurants, post offices, schools, government buildings are areas of easy defensless targets. Predators on prey.

I'm teary eyed watching the news and seeing the faces on those involved. My heartfelt prayers are with the family and friends.

God bless all and protect us from evil. In any form

HarryO

Very sad indeed. I doubt locking down anything will do any good at all. An individual like this will find any means necessary to complete his act. Whether it be home made bombs, poisons, lethal gas, guns, or a kitchen knife. These "disturbed individuals" are akin to the homocide bombers terrorizing the mid-east.

I agree with you Harry however the crime we are talking about today didn't involve the things you mentioned. Just like military planners in a War Zone, we need to recognize the enemy (or the situation) and adapt. If we don't want this to happen again we need to address the problem.

I hate hearing the stories, but I guess I have become too hardened to the reality. I don't feel sad, as much as I wonder what is going to be learned from yet another shooting incident. Are we going to put more money into Mental Health Care? Are we going to, or are we enforcing the existing Gun Laws? If so, are we going to make more gun laws? Are we going to promote all of our citizens "pack" to keep survival among the most well armed? If so, what kind of OK Corral shootouts are we going to have? I am not advocating either side but doing nothing doesn't seem to be working. [:|]

I realize this is a speaker forum, but finding consensus on a solution to address these tragedies seems like something citizens of the United States could do.

BTW, I hate to hear the solution being, "We have to lock up the schools." Isn't that what the Virginia Tech Killer actually did? [^o)]

My 2 cents.

• Moderators

Hey DTEL,

Very sad indeed. I doubt locking down anything will do any good at all. An individual like this will find any means necessary to complete his act. Whether it be home made bombs, poisons, lethal gas, guns, or a kitchen knife. These "disturbed individuals" are akin to the homocide bombers terrorizing the mid-east. It is hard to stop someone with an intense focus on destruction. I don't think the general thinking processes of civilization can properly prepare for acts like this. The means to perpetrate these acts will be found. Subways, businesses, restaurants, post offices, schools, government buildings are areas of easy defensless targets. Predators on prey.

I'm teary eyed watching the news and seeing the faces on those involved. My heartfelt prayers are with the family and friends.

God bless all and protect us from evil. In any form

HarryO

I agree 100 % but it seems like the first thing you hear when something like this happens .