OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

Where are my grill buds.......check in. Anything on the grill this weekend? Boiled 2 lbs. of shrimp in beer and old bay seasoning. I guess thats for dinner. Just went out and bought a $5 powerball ticket so midnight tonight I may be ready to party. I definitely will let you know if I win. Having a couple of Absoluts and tonic and listening to a very good tape from Wardsweb. Yes the reel to reel tape exchange is still going. Good grilling to all.

Chuck

I had four chickens on the cooker yesterday along with some Johnsonville Brats. Turned out pretty well.

Have been working on turning out meat the looks good, it's easy to get too dark. The ideal amount of smoke coming out of the cooker is just a
whispy light smoke. Thick smoke is bad for the long haul.

Hey Dee.....those brats are great smoked. I may do beer can chicken sunday and spray them with apple cider as Mark suggested. A friend from California is coming over and I think he wants some of my wifes chuck roast so we may do that as well. Maybe some mashed potatoes with chives and grilled asparagus. My only other plans for sunday is the Sopranos finale at 9:00pm.

Took Kate the black lab to a neat dog wash today. Walk up tub, spray attachment, towels, and mink oil for the coat. What a big improvement......her first bath in a year! She is 14 and her hips are too bad for much vigorous scrubbing. She smells much better.....I asked her if she wanted to go see Ranger and Rider the male yellow labs two houses down......date night[&]

Tarheel.

When you smoke brat do you get a nice smokering? It's been a few years since I've smoked brat until the last couple of weeks. They really are good. One thing I've been wondering is how to improve the smoke ring. I get a nice pink meat from the smoke about two thirds the way through the brat. That leaves a little brown bit in the middle, and to the uninitiated, it looks a little odd. I'm wondering If there is a way I can get that color through and through the brat. For serving guests, I'd like that.

The brats I have smoked were done indirectly on the Weber grill so there was probably more heat than doing it in a smoker. Soaked hickory chunks and turn the baffles way down. I am certainly not an expert on brats so maybe someone else with more experience can add something about good smoke rings.

Chuck

Seti,

Are you smokin' yet?

This weekend:

Baby back ribs-rubbed, put up for three days, smoked with pecan wood and slathered with Sauce Goddess "Spicy Grill Glaze" during the last forty-five minutes

Whole boneless pork loin- rubbed with rosemary and garlic, injected with Cajun Injector Hickory BBQ marinade,put up for three days, cut into 2" slices and butterflied, smoked (opened), then stuffed with mushrooms and apricots, and smoked and smoked (and spritzed with balsamic and Shiraz) and smoked

Brummet's (homemade) link sausage

SSH

Seti,

Are you smokin' yet?

This weekend:

Baby back ribs-rubbed, put up for three days, smoked with pecan wood and slathered with Sauce Goddess "Spicy Grill Glaze" during the last forty-five minutes

Whole boneless pork loin- rubbed with rosemary and garlic, injected with Cajun Injector Hickory BBQ marinade,put up for three days, cut into 2" slices and butterflied, smoked (opened), then stuffed with mushrooms and apricots, and smoked and smoked (and spritzed with balsamic and Shiraz) and smoked

Brummet's (homemade) link sausage

SSH 

SSH,

I think I am going to look at the Brinkman on Saturday. I have been so busy and haven't had time for grilling : ( Hopefully I can evolve to smoke'n!

I have my gameplan for the next batch 1)apple cider/beer salt brine 3 hours 2)Secret BBQ rub mixed with Dad homemade pepper sauce set up for a day 3) not sure what kind of wood but a good long smoke : )

Still haven't been to the Sim's down Arch St but I am wanting to go soon....in the daylight ;)

The injector method is superb! Although I must admit I haven't injected and let it set as it usually goes straight to the grill. I may have to try that sounds like a great method you got there....

BTW The timing couldn't be worse.... I am way overweight so I put myself on a diet and won't be grilling ribs as often as I am accustomed. Once I get the bulk off regular weekend grillings will be back on the agenda. Also smoking food is a great way to add flavor without adding fat :) So I'll be smokinmg lots of lean meat and birds. 

Steve,

Whoa, planning ahead. Those baby backs are gonna make you say "mercy!"

The pork loin. .... drool.

BTW, how long do you cook a whole pork loin? Those things always cook quicker than I expect and are easy to end up with something too dry.

I worked directly across the street from this place from 1979 though 1982. I still make sure to stop in EVERY SINGLE TIME I am in the Bay Area. Best Bar B Que I've ever had in California: When I worked in this neighgorhood it was a burnt out slum with hookers and dope dealers on every corner--now it's gone "up scale," but Doug Abides!! He doesn't have goat every day any longer--only once in a while--but if you've never had bar-b-qued goat you simply have not lived!!

I heard recently that Doug passed away and the place is for sale. As far as I know it's still open, but maybe not for long. . . What a bummer . . .

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/sanfrancisco/restaurants/dougs-bar-b-q/v-101084475

The north gave up on anyhope of good BBQ in exchange for indoor plumbing and dentistry. If givin the choice again, I would take a out house inorder to gum some good BBQ.

What I think is really funny is that, to a Southerner, BBQ means just that and only that; it involves BBQ sauce and usually pork, although Texans do love their BBQ'd beef brisket.

Grilling a steak on the grill in NOT BBQing, it's grilling. [:D]

I still make sure to stop in EVERY SINGLE TIME I am in the Bay Area.

Hey, Allan, you're in LA, right?

One of my favorite eating experiences there is "Versailles" for Cuban. That chicken is just insanely good. I love the way you smell when you leave that place. [:P]

Dee,

Try spritzing the meat to keep it moist.

SSH

Must keep the lotion on its skin..... Hehehe sorry couldn't resist a little Silence of the Lambs quote. I don't cook chicken or pork without a thermometer as I hate dry pork or chicken but beef I can tell without. 

The north gave up on anyhope of good BBQ in exchange for indoor plumbing and dentistry.  If givin the choice again, I would take a out house inorder to gum some good BBQ.

Now that is funny!

My dream is perhaps the internet will evolve to the point where it will add the other senses to the internet experience. Smell and taste would be a good although scary at times.

I bought a smoker not the one I planned on but for starters I thought I would go with the trusty brinkman.

1258_t.jpg

I like the versatility of this one. Tomorrow is an early trip to the grocery store should be fun.

Congrats. Tell you what, my dad and I smoked alot of meat one one just like this.

Enjoy!

p.s. one thing, if you can find lump charcoal, not briquettes, lump works better especially when more charcoal is needed to extend the life of the fire. Don't really know why, except Smoky Hale says so. Something to do with not needing to burn down like most briquettes. It can be added right to the fire without undue poor effects on the meat.

We ought to make a road trip to Yellville to pick up some Ozark Oak from the factory. It's pretty cool to watch them make it too. This charcoal sells for $8.95 plus shipping for 10 lbs. It's $3.10 at the factory. That kind of margin makes me wonder how it might sell on Ebay.

Congrats. Tell you what, my dad and I smoked alot of meat one one just like this.

Enjoy!

p.s. one thing, if you can find lump charcoal, not briquettes, lump works better especially when more charcoal is needed to extend the life of the fire. Don't really know why, except Smoky Hale says so. Something to do with not needing to burn down like most briquettes. It can be added right to the fire without undue poor effects on the meat.

We ought to make a road trip to Yellville to pick up some Ozark Oak from the factory. It's pretty cool to watch them make it too. This charcoal sells for $8.95 plus shipping for 10 lbs. It's $3.10 at the factory. That kind of margin makes me wonder how it might sell on Ebay. 

Ok so I won't be doing Ribs for a couple months as I am on a *insert explitive here* diet. If I keep loosing weight like I am now it shouldn't be long before I can do ribs. This is my first time using the smoker. Dee I did pick up some of the Ozark Oak but mixed it with the regular charcoal because it gets so hot. 

I am smoking a large chicken stuffed with garlic and injected with lemon and oil. I also have 4 pork tenderloins two are covered in a great Jaimacan Jerk Rub and the other two soaked in homemade pepper sauce, Lemon, Lime, garlic and minced Jalepenos. The tenderloins are right over the water pan and the chicken on top. The water pan has garlic jalepenos and the ends of the lemons and limes that I used. The wood for smoking is apple wood that I started soaking last night so it would last longer. 

If anyone reads this soon how long should I smoke the tender loin? Don't want to open the lid too frequently if I can help it.

I do like the fact that once you put it on you just wait for it to finish no turning moving. I like low maintenance.