Why haven't you upgraded to Klipschorns?

wpines

I'm curious. If Klipschorns are the ultimate Klipsch speaker, what are some of the reasons that Klipsch owners haven't taken the plunge and went with Klipschorns. Price, size, WAF, no corners, hard to find, never had an opportunity to hear them, etc.

I'm curious. If Klipschorns are the ultimate Klipsch speaker, what are some of the reasons that Klipsch owners haven't taken the plunge and went with Klipschorns. Price, size, WAF, no corners, hard to find, never had an opportunity to hear them, etc.

Price, no corners, size....catching good sound with RF-7.

Although they are clearly imposing in their size I still suggest that if anyone has corners to use, the Khorn will use LESS net "floor space" than almost any other speaker because of its utilizing the corner.

IMHO, there are many many other MUCH smaller speakers that intrude into the room space a lot more than Khorns do. So in other words, I personally discount size as an issue.

In the only room they would work there is only one good corner. The other corner has windows on both sides and to build a false corner would partially cover two windows and the wife would not go for that. If we ever move, finding a house with corners will be a priority (FOR ME) but I will have to make sure that is not a known priority.

Although they are clearly imposing in their size I still suggest that if anyone has corners to use, the Khorn will use LESS net "floor space" than almost any other speaker because of its utilizing the corner.

IMHO, there are many many other MUCH smaller speakers that intrude into the room space a lot more than Khorns do. So in other words, I personally discount size as an issue.

That's true, but when you have Klipschorns, your wife has two fewer places to send you when you've been naughty.

The klipschorns are really efficient when it comes to use of space. How many speakers can you tuck right into the corner like that? They really don't take up as much floor space compared to a belle or a la scala or some other floor standing speakers which would stick our quite a bit. I'll have a pair of model B khorns some day....

klipschorn2.jpg

From an engineering standpoint, I think the khorn is by far one of the

coolest speakers ever built. I could go on about this, but I think

everyone has the same appreciation for the design.

However, from a listening standpoint I haven't been completely sold.

I learned about the khorn through the forum and have since made it a

goal to hear them in as many situations as possible. People on the forum are really cool in that regard

and I've had the opportunity to travel around to hear khorns in all

sorts of listening environments. The first listening session was in a

dedicated acoustically treated listening room. The experience was both

awesome and disappointing. I have since heard more khorns than I can

remember and there have only been a few situations where I would

consider the khorn implementation to be better than the simple Chorus

II setup I currently own. And there is no shortage of cornwall systems

that have sounded better too, so it's not just because I'm biased (what

purpose would that serve anyway?)

Anyways, I've heard khorns sound like crap more often than they have

sounded good. To be fair, my "Khorn Journey" has also revealed flaws in

a lot of the recordings I used to enjoy. It's annoying really because I

prefer to enjoy good music, but a good sound system is going to make

bad recordings sound like crap...I guess it's the whole music-phile

meets audiophile conundrum. One of these days I would like to go back and listen to some of the earlier systems knowing what I know now.

For what it's worth, I've noted a trend that the more recent versions

of the khorn tend to sound better. Especially the latest crossover

version (AK-4, AK-5? I forget) which has finally introduced some EQ to

take out some of the crazy peaks in the bassbin. But if you were

considering the purchase of a new khorn, then you might as well

consider purchasing a Jubilee...

I know it's blasphemy to "not like" the grand daddy of Klipsch

speakers, but to claim that they are always the end all, be all in

music reproduction is a bit far-fetched too. They are very room

dependant and it would be misleading to claim that they will work the

best in any environment. Would I go with khorns in the most ideal everything situation? Probably not.

wpines,

I think you named all the reasons people haven't upgraded to Khorns. There are lots of reasons.

In my sojourn with Klipsch speakers, I started out with LaScalas then migrated to Khorns. I was amazed that they have a smaller footpring than Lascalas and really do disappear in the corners once tucked in. I found a pair of lovely oiled walnut 73 Khorns within three hours of my home and paid $1303 for the pair.

Last year I moved into a much smaller place and sold the Khorns AND LaScalas. I'm tickled to be listening to Heresy and thinking the sound is so good I'm not really missing anything worth worrying about. I simply didn't have the space anymore, but the space friendly alternatives are darn good, IMO.

I am going to agree with DrWho on this one. I have owned several sets of Klipschorns, Belles, and LaScalas. They always end getting sold or traded in the end. However, my Chorus, Chorus II, Forte', Forte' II, and Cornwalls tend to stick around.

I feel almost obligated to own Klipschorns as a long time enthusiast, but the only place the Klipschorn, Belle, LaScalas seem to have the magic is in a honest to goodness theater, and I have heard them in that application many times as a technician for United Artists.

The modified versions can sound very good, but the tonal balance seems more spot on with the Chorus, and Forte' line with the original Forte' having the best presentation of the Klipsch line.