I'm with you.

Interesting that there is very little feedback from the group regarding the jubilee experience. Last year at Hope......we slobbered all over the forum while we were there talking about the jubilee.

Maybe everyone is hungover or traveling.

jc

"What were the Pilgrims opinions of the Jub w/K510 vs the Jub W/K402? I am assuming the drivers were the same."

and was it a k-1132/33 or k-69-a

• Klipsch Employees

K-31-k woofer

k-402-k w/ k-69-k

k-510-k w/B&C 75 

We just could not get them to sound as they should in the small rooms we have at the office.
The took both pr to the mixer / dinner room at the Holiday Inn.
We use pro amps to drive them (k2) through an A/B/X switch. 

they were set up on the long wall which has 5 ft corners every 20 ft or so...The dividers for the room went into the space. this give us 4 corners on the long wall.

402  -   15ft ----    402  ------  opening  ---  510   ----  15 ft ---    510  ------ opening    --- 30 ft of wall -----back corner

the room was 40 X 75

It was not the best way to set up, but was the only way to set up fair. 

I got it loud from time to time, but for the most part we were 87 -  93 db.

The Picky report will probably come later on today.

Caroline and I left Rogers at 04:45 this morning and Glen, Verna, Justin, Seadog, and Roger were still playing in his HT. I could have stayed down there for days, its just amazing.

As far as the Jubs go I like them with the 402 horn better.

Steve

Picky and Verna just left here for Detroit. They should be home tonight but I don't know if you'll get a post. Apparently those at Rogers stayed up until almost dawn chatting.

Right now at my place it's Colter, Dtel, Dtel's wife, Buddy, Doc, Indy, Mr. Paint, Dean and Debbie. Doc and Michael just finished abusing my neighbors with doing ground plane testing with the TC Sounds TC3000, Dean swapped a CT125 into one of my Scalas and we've hooked up the comparator to give a listen. I could have figured that despite our exhaustion- with Dean and Doc in the house there would be some modification of something.

We're starved- 3 Some Guys pies are on the way!

More later,

Michael

Trey is underestimating the volume. The guy has no issues with cranking them up.

The 402 is the one I would pick. Sound is much livelier and in your face. The 510 is more subdued.

The lf cabinet comes alive at higher volumes and is stunning.

In a home, unless you are doing room treatments, you would be better off picking the 510 horn.

They are the next step up. I wanted to win them badly. I will now have to get a pair on my own.

Trey is underestimating the volume.  The guy has no issues with cranking them up.

The 402 is the one I would pick.  Sound is much livelier and in your face.  The 510 is more subdued.

The lf cabinet comes alive at higher volumes and is stunning.

In a home, unless you are doing room treatments, you would be better off picking the 510 horn.

They are the next step up.  I wanted to win them badly.  I will now have to get a pair on my own.

I was hoping to read something like this, how much of a diference do you think the drivers played?  The Jub bass bin and K510 is an option very appealing to me.  I heard the Jub bass bin /K402 mated to K69's in Hope last year.  As a single unit the sound just astounded me, my wife liked it too but she was, well lets just say less than accomodating to my suggestion to buy a set as we saw them.

I couldn't tell you how much of a part the driver played but conversations with those in the know pointed to the size of the horn as the differentiating factor. What I can tell you is when I listened (along with others) to the 510, the impression was it was a very good, very clean, very nice sounding horn. I really liked it and started thinking I could drop it on my Khorns. There is little chance a 510 would cause ear fatigue while a 402 at high levels, due to its forwardness, would likely be too "hot" for many and need to be tamed.

What were the Pilgrims opinions of the Jub w/K510 vs the Jub W/K402? I am assuming the drivers were the same.

R/Jim

At first I liked the larger 402 horn. But after listening a bit more, I liked the 510 better. The 402 had more detailed midrange, but I think the 510 sounded more ballanced. It had a much more seamless transition between the midrange and woofer. I enjoyed the low end much more with the 510. After listening to the 510, and went back to the 402, I thought the high end was almost overpowering.

That was my impressions in the noisy room Friday night.

JM

Some unordered thoughts:

When it comes to heritage that works right, I always get the impression that the highs are just easing up from the top of the cabinet, filling the blackness of the room. One might say the highs are reserved, a tad understated / under-represented. They're not coming at you, they're just leaving the speaker, filling the area. But it is certain that there is blackness behind them. On the other hand, like my RF-63, the highs come at you, you can hear them coming form the driver, they shine on you like a narrow beam maglite (to use a descriptor I heard from Jay about a different speaker). You can tell there is a tweeter in the room. There is not pure blackness behind the highs. Almost like theres a bias of hiss or something?

Anyway, my cornwalls have the highs that I describe above as heritage that works. I recognized it instantly on the 60th KHorns. They sounded so absolutely natural, organic, pure, balanced, clear, real. EVERYTHING worked with them in that room, for me and my ears at least.

Listening to the Jubilees, I found the 402s to be very open, huge soundstage, the horns just flung the sound out with such a low pressure, it just went where it needed to go. Its like my cornwalls on steroids as far as dispersion of sound. The sound was so dispersed that I could feel my ears trying to grab on to a reference sound to get oriented. Not that the super dispersion is bad, it just was beyond any loudspeaker I've heard. It almost felt like I was outside on a chicago street. Sound coming from all directions, swimming in sound, not necessarily being able to tell where individual parts are coming from. SOUND EVERYWHERE COMING FROM NOWHERE sums it up pretty good.

The 510s sounded less sprayed, more controled, more like my cornwalls. Not that that is better, it was just closer to what I'm used to. I'm intrigued by the 402s and would love to spend alot of quality time with both to figure out what the imaging placement is really like.

For me, there's width of sound, like soundstage where the sound just feels like its coming from the whole front wall, certainly not just the speaker points. Wide soundstage does not guarantee precise stereo instrument placement. They seem to be completely independent in my experience, at least I have not thought about it enough to find a pattern or correlation to a parameter.

width of soundstage
402 - gigantic, 510 - medium/large, 60th KHorns - very large
precision of source placement
couldn't evaluate with noise/ music played. 510 placed pretty well on one instance where I knew the material
tonal accuracy
don't have a tonal ear to judge like meagain's husband does
bandwidth flatness
402 - a bit much highs/mids for the bass output, 510 - pretty balanced, just a bit light on bass, 60th KHorns - sounded perfectly balanced/flat.

So, from what I have heard so far, the 60th KHorns are the best thing ever. I haven't heard standard KHorns to know if they are the same as the 60ths. I'd put my daily listening experience on my Cornwall II's with DD-12 Sub at 95% of the 60th KHorns, so as you can guess, I am ecstatic with my current setup! Putting a great sub with the jubilees for 20-30 Hz reinforcement could really make me love them.

After thinking about my experiences at the pilgirmage and all the things I heard, in order of impression:

A) the 60th KHorns made the most impression on me and topped my home sound (Nice demos Jim Hunter),
B) the RF-83 theatre showing Ice Age intro using the RC-64 made the next biggest impression (that thing was SOOO crispy) and topped my home theatre RF-63 sound (Thanks for cranking it Rod Hammer!),
C) then the bass output of the Jubilees when Trey played a bass track and nearly disentigrated the entire drop ceiling (Trey Rocks!)

There were so many other things that impressed me, but these 3 things are BIG.

I think both pair of Jubilees have a lot of potential. The room set up was very lacking and didn't give them a chance to show what they are capable of doing. I'd love to hear all the Jubilees in a good room with proper amplification to get a good idea of what they are and what they can do. It wasn't fair. Listening to any speaker in a room like they were set up in, and trying to "hear" a speaker with 50-60 people talking loudly just to hold a conversation isn't the way to audition a speaker.

As far as the loudness goes, your db meter may be lying to you. Many people walked out on the listening levels they were being played at. I even overheard the Rural Mail Carriers convention down the hall complaining it hurt their ears also. Careful not to cause hearing damage to the faithful. Louder doesn't always mean better.

Harry

Perhaps we should have explained that this was THE opportunity to hear these two mighty systems in the same room. We all thought it was a great opportunity, but in retrospect asking for some attention and quiet from conversation for a while might have been prudent. The noise level was very high in the room. Placement was as good as could be gotten.

We tried putting them in the room with the 60th Anniversary Khorns. It just didn't work- not enough corners, not enough space for listeners. A great deal of thought and work went into providing not just one but TWO pairs of Jubilees for the group to audition.

Michael

My apologies for coming off as being ungrateful. Nothing of the sort. You guys are super and your efforts haven't gone unnoticed. My utmost thanks go to Klipsch in doing this for us. Trey, Michael, all involved, I sincerely thank you for everything.

I just feel the Jubilees didn't get a fair chance to shine because of the room and dozens of people saying hello at the mixer.

Harry