Tube CD Players......

SWL

I love my Jolida as well. I do think it's prettier than the Ah! and I've yet to see a pic of the Ah's remote, but the Jolida remote is off the hook cool. The buttons are really large ball bearings and the case.... well, it's just very unique and cool. Sounds fantastic! I bought mine used with the Underwood Level 1 mod that Carl mentions (Silver). There's some on Audiogon now both modded and stock.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another satisfied Jolida 100 owner here. Mine is the mini-mod from Hot Rod Audio and they call it the Jolida 100SR. Different tubes, soundproofing, Sorbothane feet, different output jacks. The remote is very substantial....don't drop it on bare feet.

Meagain, have you ever visited Saturday's Audio on Belmont? They have a Jolida, I'm gonna try to get down there this weekend to give it a listen. I've come across some "ok" deals there in the past on some amps. They also have my current Denon cd player as well so hopefully I can do some blind tests.

I've heard the Jolida up against the AH! on the same stereo. Peach with VRD's on Khorns with all ESN.

The Jolida wins easily with build quality, sturdy remote and appearance. If you walk up to the AH! and push the play button, the unit slides back. Very light. The Jolida is heavy like an amplifier. The remote on the Jolida is heavy too.

The AH! with upsampler wins on sound. It also comes close to beating out some real High end stuff. I'll save that discussion for another day.

I'm telling you, the AH! with upsampler is like a mistake.

jc

FYI - I am selling my Dynaco CDV-1 on eBay right now!  Search under seller tgibbsmi.  It is highly modified by myself with Cerafine B+ caps, Black Gate coupling caps, new Solen films and Amperex Globes ... they won HANDS DOWN in my tube rolling on this player.  Works 100%!  I hate to part with it, but my Marantz CD-63 has twice as mch money and sweat in it and it smokes the Dynaco.  Wife told me one has to go!  

Comparing the Jolida and the Ah, money aside, which is better? If the Ah has better sq would the Jolida with a tube upgrade win me over? Correct me if I'm wrong, seems like the Jolida is more attractive and built better but in the end sq must prevail.

Money aside - that's a good question. I guess that I'm biased (no pun intended), but my answer would be that there are a few of us in here that run modded Jolidas (mine is by Underwood - stage 1) and cannot imaging needing or wanting anything more. Then again, I've never heard an Ah! with an upsampler, so maybe I'm missing the cat's meow. I can just tell you that the modded JD100 is built like a tank and has all the top end that I'll ever need.

If memory serves, the only comments that I've read in here comparing the Ah!/upsampler to the Jolida were to the stock Jolida - and that's not really a fair fight. Then again, maybe someone will correct me.

Here's the underwood page - if you scroll down you'll see the level one and two mods for the Jolida JD100.

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/mod_jolida.html

I've seen modded units go for far less on the pre-owned market.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Carl.

Thanks for the site, Carl.

It's new, not used for $899. No mods. Sound fair? (The Jolida at Saturday's Audio).

Sounds about typical of what I've seen original units for new - maybe I"ve seen a little bit lower.

Here's one of the original reviews of the modded unit that first caught my eye.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jolida/jd100.html

Maybe the Ah/upsampling sounds better than a modded Jolida, and maybe someday I'll get the chance to A/B them.

All I know is that a modded JD100 sounds excellent on a Peach/VRD/Klipschorn combo with ES networks.

Carl.

Comparing the Jolida and the Ah, money aside, which is better? If the Ah has better sq would the Jolida with a tube upgrade win me over? Correct me if I'm wrong, seems like the Jolida is more attractive and built better but in the end sq must prevail.

Jolida sounds to be a heavier unit, which would give some the impression (and maybe it is) of being a solidly built unit, but I do not know from experience, because I do not own one. I have read quite a bit about them (2 years ago), as I came rather close to buying one. My decision came down to these final 2 tubed CD players.

I opted for the Ah! because all my cd's are red book, except for 1 that a good friend gave me, but most importantly, because of the SQ reviews. Please note, the Ah! is not a weighty or heavy unit, and as such, does not give the feel or impression of being a solidly built unit, but that's not to say it isn't well designed or constructed. It is an ugly black box, and the remote is even uglier, but the sound is clean pure and smooth. Sorry Dean, but that's how it sounds to me. And when you add the upsampler, well, you'll know why that ugly unit is loved by those who own them. I sure the Jolida will be another good choice. There are many here who love them. I suggest you start doing some extensive research before dropping over a grand on a tubed CD player.

The AH! is available from upscaleaudio.com.

Worth noting is the Heart CDP. It is another Dutch Marantz conversion which is based on a better/heavier CDP platform than the AH!. It sounds very good and is standard redbook, no upsampler available as with AH! The price is favorable compared to AH!

Also, interesting enough, Dick Olshner reviewed both the Heart and AH! Across the board (about 12 or 15 evaluation points) Olshner rates the Heart slightly ahead of the AH!. I've got hours of listening on both. don't know which is my favorite.

I would just say that when listening to the Heart after having the AH! in the system for a while, I'd expect to hear less, but don't think I'm missing anything.

Sounds fantastic! I bought mine used with the Underwood Level 1 mod that Carl mentions (Silver).

Aaaahhhh ....

You Did listen to me , ...Once ...[;)]

................and you upgraded to the EH 12AX7 Gold Pin tube I'm assuming? (level 2 mod) I checked them out and they're only $17.95 a tube. If that improved sq than how can you go wrong buying the stock JD100 and getting the tubes yourself instead of the $300+ mod? Hmmm........Someone please step in and spend/save me some $$.

Actually, I thought they were cheaper. I had a questionably working tube in it prior so IDK. I have Tung Sol Reissues I want to try also. Seriously, Audiogon has Jolidas now and I saw some Level 1 modded used for good prices. I didn't see any Ah! unless I spelled it wrong. I've called Jolida a total of 3 times now and each time they answered their phone immediately and were very helpful. I'm gleaning they have good cust. service.

Kaiser SET say said: "I have read a lot of good press on that little mini max, have you heard a Ah! in comparison?"

---------------------------------------------------------

I've not had an opportunity to hear the Ah. Actually, I've never heard of it! I do like the Eastern Electric Mini Max though. Wonderful sound stage and quality vocals with either tube gear or SS. I first auditioned one with Rotel and B&W. I have to say it was very impressive. I mated it with my McIntosh SS for a spell and that was even better (Cornwalls). Now I have it with the BAT gear and am very happy with the results.

BTW, you have a PM about the tennis!

Do you guys have your tube cd players hooked up to the analog or digital outputs? Is one better than the other, or just a personal preference? And as far as a cdp that has HD decoding, every HDCD that I have played with my current cdp really didn't impress me, in fact they lacked bass considerably. It could just be the type of music but anyway whatever tube cdp I end up purchasing I don't think I'm gonna be concerned with HD decoding (or should I) ?