Best Bass Player?

kelA

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which part of his sound? He frequently uses envelope follower which opens a VCF as the ADSR opens on the note. i.e, the attack of the note has more than the normal amount of increasing HF harmonics vs standard bass playing- that 'bwooooowww' sound.

That explains a lot of it. I was referring to his overall "signature sound" and remember hearing of some physical mod involving a file. No one else really gets that sound he does.

In the same vein no one really got the sound like Howe's Rickenbacker either. Yes had a magical combination of sound. Edit: Oops, Howe did most of his work on a Gibson.

Brian Ritchie

Saw the Violent Femmes about a month ago in a small local bar / venue. Great show.

He uses Ernie Ball acoustic bass guitars as well as many other instruments. Amazing talent.

I saw them play 7 - 8 years ago and was completely amazed at how good they still were. There are tons of bands that just do not get better with age but even though the lead singer and bass player have restraining orders against each other they manage to pull off great shows. The bass player for the femmes is fantastic. Gotta love the Violent Femmes.

Michael, what did Squire do to his bass to get that sound? I understand he filed it down. Was it the frets or the neck? Just curious, thought you might know.

According to Wikipedia, Chris Squire bi-amped his bass, probably one of very few players to do that. In the video concert House of Yes, recorded at the House of Blues, Chris also played a 2- or 3-necked bass. Pretty innovative player. If you're a Yes fan, check out that video.

From Wikipedia:

Style

Squire's bass playing is noted for being aggressive, dynamic, and melodic. Squire's main instrument is a Rickenbacker bass (model RM1999, serial number DC127), which he has owned and played since 1965. The RM1999 was a budget, monophonic version of Rickebacker's 4001 stereo bass. This model was imported into the UK by Rose Morris Ltd (hence the RM prefix on the model number) and, according to Squire's official website, was only the fourth bass of its type to be imported into Britain from the United States. This instrument, with its warmth and distortion, is a significant part of Squire's unique sound. Squire obtains his distinctive tone using only the neck pickup of his bass. In fact, according to John Hall (Rickenbacker CEO), the treble pickup (bridge pickup) of Squire's RM1999 is completely disconnected from the bass's circuitry and has been for many years. Another major factor in Squire's sound is a technique known as 'bi-amping'. By splitting the signal from his bass into dual high and low frequency outputs and then sending the low frequency output to a conventional bass amplifier and the high-frequency output to a separate lead guitar amplifier, Squire produced a tonal 'sandwich' that added a growling, overdriven edge to the sound while retaining the Rickenbacker's powerful bass response. He also uses fresh strings for every show.

Squire (who is self-taught) was also one of the first rock bass players to successfully adapt electronic guitar effects such as tremolo, phasing and the wah-wah pedal to the instrument.

Squire's vocals are also key to Yes' music, providing important harmonisation with Jon Anderson's distinctive countertenor.

Not a Noel fan.

He was definitely the weakest link in the Experience...and evidently Jimi thought so too, specifying parts for him to play...

I only wish that Jimi had lived to be able to play with Stanley Clarke, someone capable of complimenting Jimi as he moved closer to a jazz influence.

Jimi never played with a great Bassist........Stanley would have been interesting, Jaco would have been better, even Jack Bruce, hell Jack played with some great one's....Eric, Robin Trower, Leslie West, Frank Zappa......again, it's hard to pick just one, there really isn't the one Best Player, there's many. Mr. Jamerson was a Funk Brother ...........................................

Jimi did invite Jack Casady to play live and in studio while both were in New York in 1968. But commitments prevented both from doing anything on an extended basis. A real shame!

And seeing God again last month at the Granada Theater, he continues to amaze.

I've seen Victor Wooten a number of times with the Flecktones and on his solo tours and he puts on an amazing show.

Last fall I saw Primus down in ATL and Les Claypool was certainly amazing, the whole band rocked .

Only real downside of the concert was trying to drive afterwards and realizing I had a second hand buzz from all the pot that was smoked.

Dave Larue is really good, I saw him playing with John Petrucci earlier this spring.

This thread makes me want to go dig out my jazz bass and fire up the GK and annoy the neighbors.

Anybody remember Dale Peters from James Gang? James Gang (Joe Walsh, Jim Fox and Dale Peters) played a few years ago on the Drew Carey Show as themselves. Joe had an occasional role as a friend of Drew's. Dale still sounds good on those old LPs.

Tony Levin is also great. I'm surprised no-one mentioned him. He's played with Peter Gabriel and many other big names.

Last fall I saw Primus down in ATL and Les Claypool was certainly amazing, the whole band rocked .

Only real downside of the concert was trying to drive afterwards and realizing I had a second hand buzz from all the pot that was smoked.

Yeah the drummer is underrated. Very good indeed.

Jimi did invite Jack Casady to play live and in studio while both were in New York in 1968. But commitments prevented both from doing anything on an extended basis. A real shame!

And seeing God again last month at the Granada Theater, he continues to amaze.

Had to miss that concert (damn!). Jack gets one of my votes.