FS Jensen Capped AAs

joshnich

I think I only built about a dozen pair with the Jensens, but only four pair were built like these. I started out with an emphasis on asthetics, and a pair like this took me almost a week to build. Both sides of the cedar boards were sanded down, three coats of lacquer were applied, and then rubbed out with .0000 steel wool. The autoformers and low pass inductors were taken down to the base metal, and after polishing them smooth with 400 paper and steel wool, would get taped off and sprayed with several coats of clear enamel. The wiring is two strands of twisted seven nine silver, which includes the common connections on the barrier strip. All of the connections on the back side of the barrier strip are soldered directly to the barrier strip. This was done by replacing the screws with solderable eyelets, and after pushing the leads down into the holes, I would punch down the eyelets and then solder. I quit building them like this because I finally realized I was only making about $6 an hour and that only a handful were willing to pay for this level of asthetics or attention to detail. I was getting the caps directly from Jensen in Denmark, who was rolling the 13uF and 2uF as custom values for me. If someone decided to build a pair of these, the parts alone would run close to $500, and you'd still have to build them. $400 is an outstanding deal for these.

Josh finally went with Trachorns and a set of Bob's tweeters. I built him a set of 400/4500 first order networks with V-caps, and dropped the output of the K-55 3dB to compensate for the elevated output of the Trachorn (compared to the K-400/K-401).

post-3205-13819339385482_thumb.jpg

I have auditioned this very pair of networks......and if Josh had offered them for sale at that time, I would have bought them. As that wasn't an option at that time, I had Dean build me a set of V-Cap OIMP AAs. I would be happy as hello with either set. Which is to say that for those who prefer the simpler, old-school network formulas, these are highly recommended.

The one's up for sale don't appear to have the zener diodes in the circuit. The one you have photographed looks like the one that you made me for my La Scala center and then traded back to you for an Auricapped special hot rod version of the DHA2 network with zener's. I think it's time for another new network in my center speaker.

At a quick glance I do not see anything immediately obvious wrong with the Dean posted network.

"The woodgrain is not book-matched."

Too funny. I'm not sure what "book-matched" means, but I would get the box of cedar boards from Bob, and then lay them all out on the floor and match them up. I guess they're "floor-matched".:)

"If you were going for aesthetics then why did you mount the caps upside down?"

LOL, O.K., so who wants to take a stab at why the writing on the caps are upside down? It's something I still do, but it's really nonsensical for crossover applications.

"The one's up for sale don't appear to have the zener diodes in the circuit."

Nope, they sure don't, I eventually quit using them. Early on, I decided whether to use them or not based on what I knew about the listening habits of the purchaser. Actually, the ones under discussion technically don't have zeners either, and you all can consider that a hint.

"Not sure what the extra part is but this is different. I also don't see the other round inductor, but I am guessing it is just the camera angle that blocks the inductor."

The little air core is in there, and like you guessed, it's the camera angle. It looks like you're pointing to one of the zeners, which belongs -- but you're close. There are actually two extra parts, and neither of them belong.

Well, I did say I built with an emphasis on asthetics.:) Really, the guy calls me up and says, "I really dig the way the zeners look, but I don't want my amp to short out.":)

Careful with that tape measure, using it like that can cause hearing damage.[:P]

"If you were going for aesthetics then why did you mount the caps upside down?"

LOL, O.K., so who wants to take a stab at why the writing on the caps are upside down? It's something I still do, but it's really nonsensical for crossover applications.

I was thinking you tried to maintain polarization......even though as you mention it shouldn't matter with those type of caps....and in a speaker crossover. Yes?

Well, I did say I built with an emphasis on asthetics.:) Really, the guy calls me up and says, "I really dig the way the zeners look, but I don't want my amp to short out.":)

Careful with that tape measure, using it like that can cause hearing damage.[:P]

Here we go with the zener comments again...I see a trip with the old man to the woodshed in your future....

I was thinking you tried to maintain polarization......even though as you mention it shouldn't matter with those type of caps....and in a speaker crossover. Yes?

Right. I should be more concerned with making sure people can read the writing on the caps.:)

"Here we go with the zener comments again...I see a trip with the old man to the woodshed in your future..."

I had a feeling you probably saw that thread.:) No, I don't believe they can short an amp.

Anyone see anything wrong with the networks I just posted a picture of (Bob's not allowed to answer). [:P]

They look fine to me.

The write up is super....