refinished lascalas

shepjk01

Well I got lucky and snagged a pair of beat up 1977 lascalas at a garage sale over the weekend and just finished veneering them in cherry and putting a couple coats of wipe on poly on them.Luckily I was on vacation this week as I have worked the last four days for about 11 hours and up a day on them since Sunday. I will post more picks when they are completely finished. I already had all the refinishing supplies as I was planning on purchasing a pair of lascalas. I have to thank Greg for the inspiration as he is my idol when it comes to refinishing anything.

post-25964-1381933954485_thumb.jpg

Here is another pic. I still have a few more coats of poly and have to finish up the grills. I forgot to take before pics, but the outsides were in bad shape and one of the woofers was shot, but I did purchased them from the orginal owner who said they had spend all of there lives in his basement.

post-25964-13819339548738_thumb.jpg

Wow very nice work, is this your first veneering project if so you did very well? How about some details on how you veneered them. Did you use raw veneer or paperbacked, did you use contact cement or the new heatlock glue and iron on method? And yes Greg is a lifesaver gave me some tips by email, a great forum member to have aboard.

Thanks for the compliments. This is my fourth veneering project. The first was a custom rf7 center, then a a pair of 81 cornwalls, a custom vertical cornwall center, and then these. I used 20 mil paper backed veneer with contact cement on these. It is impossible to get the iron inside the back of the bass bin! All the veneer I use I get from oak wood veneer in Michigan. The goal of the redo was to make them look modern as when I got them my wife though they where ugly. That was why I chose the black accent on the bottom. It contrasts the natural cherry very well. I love the look of cherry with just a clear finish on it . If I did it over I probably would have just painted the whole inside of the bass bin black as it is a serous pain to veneer, definetly not for the faint of heart. All the cuts have to be right on as there is no room to trim after the pieces have been attached. Also getting the two pieces of veneer to meet up and look right on the curved front edge of the bass bin took the most time. The trim on the top for the grill frame is quarter round all cherry hardwood trim.

Great work, Shep

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You La Scala guys are really inspiring me to want to find a pair to refinish maybe someday! Since you already have the other cherry pieces, I'm sure that you already know how natural cherry changes color over time it becomes even prettier! Of course, to be sure that the color-shifts (piece to piece, panel to panel) stay relatively uniform, be sure to avoid direct sunlight.

Again, congratulations on a job very, very well done!

Rob

I should have a few more pictures of them here in a few hours. I just got them home and I'm working on putting them back together and and finishing the speaker grills. It took every bit of 2, 4x8 sheets of cherry to finish the lascalas. As for already having them done, most people go someone where on their vacation, I stay in my dads workshop for 10+ hours per day. If it wasn't for my vacation it would have took a few months to finish the project working a little here and there.