Your favorite Cigar

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wet towel here...........  By definition a cigar is "tobacco wrapped in tobacco".  Many who partake of cigars feel they are less dangerous than cigarettes.  They are not usually inhaled and are not usually chain smoked.  Yet, a sizable cigar will contain as much toxin of the same ilk as an entire pack of cigarettes.  Worse is that as the cigar is smoked those toxins concentrate in the yet to be ignited tobacco in the stub of cigar.  Cigars get really toxic as they get shorter.  And, of course cigars usually do not use any filters at all so what is burned is fully transferred into the oral, nasal pharynx.  It is true that cigars smokers do not suffer the same rate of lung disease as do cigarette smokers.  This is because they don't inhale.  But the saliva during a good stogy becomes a seriously toxic brew of ugly toxins.  Cigar smokers suffer higher rates of mouth, laryngeal and nasal cancers than do cigarette smokers.  We also know that tobacco companies have worked very hard to engineer cigarettes to make them more addictive.  Few know that they did this also with cigars.  Nicotine, the addictive component in tobacco does not transfer across the thick oral membranes as fast as it does in the lungs.  The tobacco companies researched that problem and found ways to enhance the ability of cigar vectored nicotine to cross into the blood thus rendering cigar habits more chemically addictive.  Second hand smoke with cigars is much worse than with cigarettes.  This makes sense when you consider how much tobacco is burning at one time and a cigar burns hotter.  Cigars are a chosen vice but the choice should be made after all the facts are understood.  You are not given those facts in the cigar advertisements, just all the happiness and testosterone targeted hoopla.  Do yourselves a big favor and stop being used.  You'll thank yourself in the future a thousand times over.

Wet towel here........... By definition a cigar is "tobacco wrapped in tobacco". Many who partake of cigars feel they are less dangerous than cigarettes. They are not usually inhaled and are not usually chain smoked. Yet, a sizable cigar will contain as much toxin of the same ilk as an entire pack of cigarettes. Worse is that as the cigar is smoked those toxins concentrate in the yet to be ignited tobacco in the stub of cigar. Cigars get really toxic as they get shorter. And, of course cigars usually do not use any filters at all so what is burned is fully transferred into the oral, nasal pharynx. It is true that cigars smokers do not suffer the same rate of lung disease as do cigarette smokers. This is because they don't inhale. But the saliva during a good stogy becomes a seriously toxic brew of ugly toxins. Cigar smokers suffer higher rates of mouth, laryngeal and nasal cancers than do cigarette smokers. We also know that tobacco companies have worked very hard to engineer cigarettes to make them more addictive. Few know that they did this also with cigars. Nicotine, the addictive component in tobacco does not transfer across the thick oral membranes as fast as it does in the lungs. The tobacco companies researched that problem and found ways to enhance the ability of cigar vectored nicotine to cross into the blood thus rendering cigar habits more chemically addictive. Second hand smoke with cigars is much worse than with cigarettes. This makes sense when you consider how much tobacco is burning at one time and a cigar burns hotter. Cigars are a chosen vice but the choice should be made after all the facts are understood. You are not given those facts in the cigar advertisements, just all the happiness and testosterone targeted hoopla. Do yourselves a big favor and stop being used. You'll thank yourself in the future a thousand times over.

Jezz, lighten up would you! There's nothing wrong with indulging in a nice cigar every now and then. To inflict the catastrophic illnesses you described you would have to smoke em by the truck load. Give me a break.

Wet towel here...........  By definition a cigar is "tobacco wrapped in tobacco".  Many who partake of cigars feel they are less dangerous than cigarettes.  They are not usually inhaled and are not usually chain smoked.  Yet, a sizable cigar will contain as much toxin of the same ilk as an entire pack of cigarettes.  Worse is that as the cigar is smoked those toxins concentrate in the yet to be ignited tobacco in the stub of cigar.  Cigars get really toxic as they get shorter.  And, of course cigars usually do not use any filters at all so what is burned is fully transferred into the oral, nasal pharynx.  It is true that cigars smokers do not suffer the same rate of lung disease as do cigarette smokers.  This is because they don't inhale.  But the saliva during a good stogy becomes a seriously toxic brew of ugly toxins.  Cigar smokers suffer higher rates of mouth, laryngeal and nasal cancers than do cigarette smokers.  We also know that tobacco companies have worked very hard to engineer cigarettes to make them more addictive.  Few know that they did this also with cigars.  Nicotine, the addictive component in tobacco does not transfer across the thick oral membranes as fast as it does in the lungs.  The tobacco companies researched that problem and found ways to enhance the ability of cigar vectored nicotine to cross into the blood thus rendering cigar habits more chemically addictive.  Second hand smoke with cigars is much worse than with cigarettes.  This makes sense when you consider how much tobacco is burning at one time and a cigar burns hotter.  Cigars are a chosen vice but the choice should be made after all the facts are understood.  You are not given those facts in the cigar advertisements, just all the happiness and testosterone targeted hoopla.  Do yourselves a big favor and stop being used.  You'll thank yourself in the future a thousand times over.

Jezz, lighten up would you! There's nothing wrong with indulging in a nice cigar every now and then. To inflict the catastrophic illnesses you described you would have to smoke em by the truck load. Give me a break.

I'm sorry.  But I'm not being too heavy on the subject.  I've not described any tumors or defacing surgical procedures, etc....  The things I mentioned are just plain facts and no more.  I'll repeat just one for you.  A single cigar can be like smoking an entire pack of cigarettes in one episode.  So, sadly, even a single cigar periodically can have dire consequences because of this level of concentrated exposure.  Yes, some people can smoke 50 cigars a day and have no problems while some can just be around other smokers and suffer the worst result.  I would feel remiss if I did not advise what I know.  Consider this.  If it were balanced and you were exposed to the health consequences of cigar smoking every time you were exposed to the idealized presentation of the habit would you still look favorably on it?  No, the little messages on the cigar packages do not count.  I mean if you saw a picture of a friable lip tumor as you went to purchase your smokes would it make you think twice?  

Who has seen the movie "The Island"? Not a great film, but if you have you will understand the reference of "No bacon for you". Well you know what I and Oscar have in common? We both will be dead at some point. I am not saying don't take care of yourself, exercise is important but I mean if you enjoy cigar once and a while well then sh!t. I am more likley to die commuting to work, What? I should not go to work to pay my health insurance?

oscarsear is right, but if a person wants to smoke a cigar from time to time, what the hey, go for it !!!! We are all "going to go someday", and I bet it won't be a Cigars fault.........I am against cigarette smoking as much as anyone on here, but a Cigar, a cocktail, a pause for the cause, if you will, I think most will survive it.......... Oscar's message should be heeded, but it won't.........So fire 'em up Boys.......

As I said the habit is a choice and choices should be made when all the facts are clear about the decision.  The bugaboo about tobacco is that is it also addictive, very addictive.  So , if someone chooses to start using tobacco without a fully informed decision then they are likely to be held to the habit by the addiction rather than by choice.  Now, I have informed and I do fully accept the people can decide on their own how to proceed.  I am not criticizing anyone for smoking.  I'm merely advising what is known about the product so people can decide with a more complete data base.

Wet towel here........... By definition a cigar is "tobacco wrapped in tobacco". Many who partake of cigars feel they are less dangerous than cigarettes. They are not usually inhaled and are not usually chain smoked. Yet, a sizable cigar will contain as much toxin of the same ilk as an entire pack of cigarettes. Worse is that as the cigar is smoked those toxins concentrate in the yet to be ignited tobacco in the stub of cigar. Cigars get really toxic as they get shorter. And, of course cigars usually do not use any filters at all so what is burned is fully transferred into the oral, nasal pharynx. It is true that cigars smokers do not suffer the same rate of lung disease as do cigarette smokers. This is because they don't inhale. But the saliva during a good stogy becomes a seriously toxic brew of ugly toxins. Cigar smokers suffer higher rates of mouth, laryngeal and nasal cancers than do cigarette smokers. We also know that tobacco companies have worked very hard to engineer cigarettes to make them more addictive. Few know that they did this also with cigars. Nicotine, the addictive component in tobacco does not transfer across the thick oral membranes as fast as it does in the lungs. The tobacco companies researched that problem and found ways to enhance the ability of cigar vectored nicotine to cross into the blood thus rendering cigar habits more chemically addictive. Second hand smoke with cigars is much worse than with cigarettes. This makes sense when you consider how much tobacco is burning at one time and a cigar burns hotter. Cigars are a chosen vice but the choice should be made after all the facts are understood. You are not given those facts in the cigar advertisements, just all the happiness and testosterone targeted hoopla. Do yourselves a big favor and stop being used. You'll thank yourself in the future a thousand times over.

[Tom ponders oscarears post as he wanders out to the garage with his Arturo Fuentes in one hand and his torch ligher in the other. Tom is perplexed by the notion of his seemingly benign cigar being "bad" for him. He pauses to consider the consequences of lighting up his stogy and enjoying it whilst sipping on his Dewars straight up on the rocks. As Tom looks across the garage he wonders if it really has come down to this. That he must now make a choice of how to end his life. Will it be via his cigar or should his motorcycle be the cuprit. <sigh> Decisions, decisions.......] [;)]

Tom

Michael...I did not make the humidor, but thanks for inadvertently implying that my craftsmanship skills are in that league[;)].

The humidor is called "Aristocrat" and is made by a fine gentleman in Texas by the name of Bob Staebell. He is an absolute artisan. It is quite a beautiful piece, pictures do not do it justice. Anyway, the slide out drawer on top has movable dividers and room for about 200-300 loose. The storage area below has room for 30-40 boxes(depending on size of course). It has a one quart distilled water reservoir with fan which is controlled by a digital controller with battery backup. It has low and high temerature alarms and low and high humidity alarms. I get about 6 weeks out of my reservoir at 70-72 percent humidity.

I can relate with oscarsear, since my mom died at 64 thanks to a cigarette habit. (it wasn't cancer either, but emphysema). As long as you do stupid things to your body with intervals that are few and far between, I don't think any long term effects will surface. Do anything too much for too long, and problems will rear their ugly head.

Yes, we should drop all our bad habits.  That might give us another 10 quality years being waited on hand, foot and diaper in the Alzheimer's section of the nursing home.

I can relate with oscarsear, since my mom died at 64 thanks to a cigarette habit. (it wasn't cancer either, but emphysema). As long as you do stupid things to your body with intervals that are few and far between, I don't think any long term effects will surface. Do anything too much for too long, and problems will rear their ugly head.

yup, 2-3 packs a day got Dad at 46, Mom at 59. I'm on borrowed time, eh?

I try to lay off the poison, but have a few from time to time.

T'is true that we all must some day expire.  Ideally we hope to go to bed healthy and not see another dawn.  Throwing tobacco into the equation adds to the list of death scenarios some the most unsavory ways to leave this life imaginable.  If you have ever witnessed these, as have I, you'd stay light years away from the stuff.  Worse is that many become protracted and they bankrupt families very quickly.  So they do seriously impact more than just the user.  When I dealt with these cases people were ungodly angry with the tobacco industry because they were snookered into their predicaments.  It is much less that way today.  People are generally aware that there is a very dark side to tobacco.  But, many do not grasp how genuinely ugly it can be.  So if you wants to choose your poison and takes your chances please don't complain if the ship goes sideways.  I just wish that our country would eliminate tobacco related disease processes from federal and state supported health services because those of us who have not used tobacco pay a ton of tax money to care for those who have..... and now that habit is a real choice.  Choose wisely.

About Alzheimers.....They say that the best part about the disease is that you get to meet new people every day.