Scam Artist

nomad02rider

After filling my car up on the way to work today a couple of people in a van asked me if I was interested in a Home Theater system. I had just taken a new RX for the first time and not liking my reaction to it. Anyway I told them I knew this scam already. I was so irate my heartrate was sky high. I asked them if they wanted me to call 911. Then the guy on the passenger side told me not to start something I couldn't finish and calling me a bi**h. I was proud of myself for not confronting these people ( I probably would have ended up in trouble). But I was sooo mad I didn't even think to get their liscense plate number. I did call 911 and they left. I wish I could have done more so they don't rip anybody else off. This happened just off of I95 so I'm sure that some unsuspecting person is a few dollars lighter. This whole thing just infuriates me to no end. Sorry for the rant, but I think you guys knew how I felt.

Paul

I saw a scam this morning on the news where someone was selling flat screen televisions wrapped in bubble wrap at a huge discount. Only they weren't flat screen tv's wrapped in bubble wrap, they were oven doors. Now, to be fair, I'm not sure if they were overcharging for the doors or not. [;)]

i have had several people approach me in a parking lot asking me if i want a home theatre. i would never buy from someone in a parking lot--i'm far too suspicious. but, i'm wondering what is the scam? is the stuff stolen? is it broke? or just a piece of crap?

I could use a replacement oven door, seems too much of a pain to take it apart to clean the inside of the glass.....

This is a little known (but true) story... my wife has hand painted some of the fixtures in two of our bathrooms (tank lid, faucets & sink in 1 br and only the sink in the other br)

The little known part is... she has a SECOND toilet tank lid for one bathroom and a SECOND lavatory for the other. The second toilet tank lid is not painted and the second lavatory IS painted, just different than the first lavatory.

I think I am the only person in the world who might get to change out toilet tank lids on his wifes whim?

anyone else care to admit to having an extra tank lid and lavatory?

[*-)]

One of my friends is a younger guy and loves the LOUD BLAST from his twin 15" woofers in his trunk. A couple of guys in a van asked him if he wanted to buy a new $3000.00 car system for $300.00. He pulled out his wallet in an attemp to talk them down on the price and immediately got robbed. I guess there's more than one kind of scam.

Harry

I enjoyed this ebay story Jerohm, I noticed she was fined for 5k dollars... What a loser...

I am sure this kind of thing goes on daily... I can only imagine what her loser drywaller hubby is like...hahahahahahaha

For a while there, I was pretty sure Judge Judy might have made her work for it too.. hahahaha

And yes, I have called the 911 police over this scam too. They say, "We have a great deal on stolen merchandise." (because that is how it is worded.. they gave ius too many speakers at the loading doc.. their loss your gain.. so this 3000 system is yours for 300... ) Yeah right!!

I have asked them if it is proper, even ethical, as an employee to your employer to rip them off... I mean who is paying your paycheck?? (I get blank stares!!)

I sneek in something about "You know as a kid, I was taught, what was it? Thou shall not..." (then pause) then say, "What was that, your not supposed to do?"

The big problem is these guys are taught this is how you do business.. I ask em, "Really, do you steal from your mom or dad, your neighbor to make a living?"

One guy after I said, "No thank you!, looking in disgust at him as I got into my van right next to him.... had the balls to call me a loser, just because I said, "No" LOL.

I looked at him and said, "Excuse me? " He said," You don't know anything about audio.... I bet what we have right here in this truck blows away anything YOU have in a home theater.." blah blah blah...

Oh, if he only knew!!! hehehehehehe

Where's Judge Judy??

i have had several people approach me in a parking lot asking me if i want a home theatre. i would never buy from someone in a parking lot--i'm far too suspicious. but, i'm wondering what is the scam? is the stuff stolen? is it broke? or just a piece of crap?

This scam has been around for a long time and was even the subject on an investigative journalism TV program (60 Minutes, maybe, I forget) in the early 90s.

If it's the same group of people that were operating in the 90s, it's a Chicago-based operation that sells cheap speakers that are made to look expensive. The white van guys are actually given sales courses, so if you listen to their pitch, you'll notice they seem to be better salesmen than the average truck driver and helper. They pretend that they have an opportunity to steal the speakers, due to a mistake on the shipping order. They're willing to sell them to you at a bargain price (in 1990 dollars, it was typically $1500 speakers for $300) to make a few bucks before continuing on their delivery route.

Since the buyers think they're dealing with crooks and have no contact info, there are no warranty issues for the sellers and no need for (or expense of) a retail store.

The speakers, and now the HTiB sets, are not stolen, they're just really overpriced.

However, if someone buys what he believes are stolen goods and then whines that he was cheated, it's hard for me to have any sympathy.

If you buy something from a crook and he turns out to be dishonest, why are you surprised? What did you expect???

White Van sighting...sort of. Stopped at one of my favorite second hand stores on the way home. Spotted a pair of "Audiofile" speakers. Yea, spelled like that. One look and I thought, WHITE VAN. Sho'nuf a quick Google tonight turned up white van whitey scam speakers. I have seen lots of cheap speakers but these were pathetic knock-offs of contemporary designed slender tower cabinets. I am sure some studio lighting could make them look as good as any hi-end speakers out there, but these were jokes up close. THEN, on my way out, I see this guy buying them!! $99.99 for the pair. I wonder if his wife (assumed married) will be able to hear that these are J U N K. I thought about an intervention, but, well, he could use the lesson: Caveat Emptor.