So I was telling someone about my upcoming trip...

Marvel

and said I was visiting my GF, who is working in China again this year. They asked me to bring them back a souvenir.. and I said "Why don't you just go over to Wal Mart?

But really, I leave early Friday morning and can hardly wait. I am flying into Hong Kong, where I'll meet up with the GF, take a hydrofoil ferry across to Macau and spend a couple of days. Macau was a Portuguese colony, and still has a large number of buildings from the 1700-1800 period in Spanish/Portuguese architecture. We will then travel back to the city where she is teaching English (Nanchang). She only has a week off, but we still plan on having a good time.

I am addicted to this forum enough that I will still probably check in a couple of times... maybe every day.... or...

Bruce

• Moderators

Sounds nice, have fun, while your there check out their souvenir places and look on the bottom of some of the junk, may say made in USA !

Take plenty of pic's and try plenty of the local food, should be great.

Have fun !

My GF wanted me to bring her a good can opener, and I have always liked the Swing Away. Works extremely well and lasts forever. Can't remember the last time I had to buy one. I scouted around and found some hanging on a rack in a store, but they are now made in....China. Sheeesh! I went ahead an got it, and even though it isn't an exact match, it looks to be ok. She might not be able to find them there.

I had asked her if the Wal-Mart there sold stuff made in China. She got quite a laugh out of it.

Bruce

and said I was visiting my GF, who is working in China again this year. They asked me to bring them back a souvenir.. and I said "Why don't you just go over to Wal Mart?

You're not kidding about that! When my Chinese friends prepare to return home, they find it very frustrating that all the souvenirs of Canada are made in China. Other than the maple syrup, perhaps.

Philippinos LOVE chocolate,,,, Hint hint

I have almost two pounds of Hershey's Kisses in my suitcase. I just hope it's still there when I arrive. The two of us have a question for you too, but I'll send you a PM about it.

Gary - I have a long list of things to go in my checked baggage. I am hoping it will all fit. [*-)]

I'm actually traveling pretty light, especially for a two week trip. I hate the idea of hauling bags around with me wherever I go.

Bruce,

Have a good time in HK. Keep an open mind and you will love it. The people are very humble and quite interested in learning English.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I have been traveling to that region for more than 10 years. When you buy things also remember that you can negotiate most items down 30-40% in price. If you are stalled on negotiations just walk away and they will lower their prices. This is normal practice and they expect dickering on price.

Don't forget your medicine bag, especially Ce pro so you can recover quickly if you eat something funny. Also drink as much water on the 15 hour flight which will help you with the first several days of jet lag.