The Ultimate KHorn Amplifier .... Is there one?

3Fates

Hi folks, I am a newbie with Klipschorns (1982 stock) and currently run an old McIntosh MC-240 tube amplifier. So far its the only amplifier I have tried with the KHorns. The question I ask is whether there is one ultimate amplifier for these speakers? I would like to hear from all sides on this .. not just the vintage tube crowd. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(I've got the popcorn popping)

I've had solid state, Jolida tube amp, McIntosh MC-30's, Wright 2A3's, Transcendent SE-OTL's on my Khorns (when I had them)

They ALL sounded "good". Someone might have preferred one over the other and someone else might have made a different choice. All up to your ears.

I'll let others take the bait on this question.

I agree with Coytee, the K-Horns always sounded good to me (yes, they can sound different, especially in the bottom octaves, but never bad). Perhaps I have not scrapped the bottom of the barrel with some really bad amps, although once I did hook up a Dynaco 120 to the K-Horns and that combination did not sound good.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I'd say you are already in the top drawer of amps.

If your crossovers are original, you would likely be able to hear an appreciable difference (improvement) with fresh caps. This project, IMO, doesn't require expensive caps, but simply to restore to factory spec (or as near as possible) yields excellent sound without alot of bucks shelled out.

3-Fates...

To expand on something else I've recently "discovered"

Many will tell you that your crossovers might (or might not) need 'refreshing'. I don't know.

What I DO know is I have heard my Jubilees on a 24 db slope crossover and then (I believe) a 48 db slope crossover that helped isolate the drivers from each other more than the 24 db slope.

I'd suggest to you that the steeper sloped network was a MORE singular improvement on the sound than any amp swap might have been. Now, before anyone skewers me, I'll qualify my statement that "to my ears", the most signifinant qualitative difference I heard was when the vocals were right at my crossover point (500 hz). With the steeper crossover, it finally put some meaning to it when people say "it sounded like a veil was lifted from the vocals". It really DID!!

Now... when simply instrumental music was playing, I could NOT ascertain ANY difference with the steeper slope. Maybe someone else can/could but not me.

Point being... Keep your McIntosh, make sure it's up to spec and if you DO look into changing your crossover, I'd suggest a steeper slope "extreme slope" over the standard.

This of course, presumes you've got a good sounding room and have no issues in there either.

[:D]

I'm sure Al K can fill you in on his ES networks (http://alkeng.com/) and I'm sure that MAS can fill you in on any room issues [:#]

I think I have a 'correct' room although a small room. A few weeks ago I started a thread 'KHorns in a Tiny Room' and came to the realization my room was fine after placing the KHorns in the corners on the long wall. The room is 16x10. I am sitting against the opposite wall with the horns pointing at my ears.

So far I have not made any plans to modify/replace the crossover. Is replacing the caps simply a matter of going to Radio Shack and purchasing equivalent value caps in its place? Is this a worthwhile effort? The KHorns date back to 1982. I started peaking at ALK crossover options but they are rather pricey. If the upgrade was a night and day difference I would consider doing the Extreme-slope option. Otherwise I will tip-toe for now.

The only thing I don't like regarding the McIntosh MC-240 amp is the lack of an ON/OFF switch. I am plugging/unplugging into the hospital grade outlet (dedicated amp circuit) each time I listen. I honestly don't like power conditioners and try to avoid them if I can.

• Moderators

(I've got the popcorn popping)

I've had solid state, Jolida tube amp, McIntosh MC-30's, Wright 2A3's, Transcendent SE-OTL's on my Khorns (when I had them)

They ALL sounded "good". Someone might have preferred one over the other and someone else might have made a different choice. All up to your ears.

Popcorn? Coyotee-o are you T Coytee O now? I was grabbing an extra lounge chair for you and I have my famous cooler full to watch the fireworks, but if you want popcorn . . .

The Answers is: The Ultimate Amplifier is the one that sounds best to you. I had NOS Valves VRD's on mine when I had them and loved them. I have heard them on 300b SET's and they are incredible. The only thing they don't sound good on is Crown SS Amps (I'm just kidding). If you are happy with the 240, which is a great amp in my opinion, then my advice would be to leave well enough alone. However, the fact that you even posed the question means that you are an audioholic like the rest of us and can't leave well enought alone--and no matter what we tell you-- you will still have to make a few more purchases just to satisfy your own mind. [:)]

One real piece of advice, don't sell that MC 240 until you have had a chance to listen to a lot of stuff, you don't want to be sorry later on. I know more then a couple of folks that deeply regreated selling their MC 240, MC-30's, 275's, etc, etc.

Is your Mac up to date, and to specs? If not, I wouuld go that route first before trying new amps.

Travis

• Moderators

How do I get rid of that dopey cowboy next to my posts?

Could be worse, could be a photo of your stupid cat in a toilet bowl[:)]

Actually, to to the top and find where is says, signed in as "your name" and click on that, That takes you to your page and there should be an option for Avatar, it will let you select from other stupid looking characters (I started with the cowboy and had it for about a year, it is by far the least stupid of those available) and it will also allow you to upload a custom one or photo.

Hope that helps.

Travis

Simply minimizing passband 'overlap' is not the solution.

Minimizing the overlap of adjacent passbands minimizes the destructive superposition of the signals, but it does not correct the problem which is the lack of signal synchronization.

In fact, if the signals were synchronized in time, the overlap would ONLY effect the amplitude of the passband and nothing else, and this could be easily equalized. (And in this regards, the only limitation remaining would be the geometry of the driver separation as the drivers are not coincident in space).

The fundamental problem is the lack of signal synchronization in the time domain, and a passive crossover, no matter how extreme the slope, will not provide the necessary synchronization - regardless of the price...and the passives being mentioned are expensive! In fact they are much more expensive than many active crossovers that do much more.

Thus the purpose of an active crossover allowing for the selection of slopes and also affording appropriate signal delay allowing for the alignment of the two passbands in time.

The only thing I don't like regarding the McIntosh MC-240 amp is the lack of an ON/OFF switch. I am plugging/unplugging into the hospital grade outlet (dedicated amp circuit) each time I listen. I honestly don't like power conditioners and try to avoid them if I can.

I didn't like it either but after talking to Terry DeWick he said not to worry. I plugged mine into a power strip and used the on/off switch on the strip. There have been many early MC amps that people have added on/off switchs so that could be an option for you. It wouldn't cost that much and Terry DeWick would be the man to contact.

Hi folks, I am a newbie with Klipschorns (1982 stock) and currently run an old McIntosh MC-240 tube amplifier. So far its the only amplifier I have tried with the KHorns. The question I ask is whether there is one ultimate amplifier for these speakers?NO I would like to hear from all sides on this .. not just the vintage tube crowd. Thanks in advance.

Off the cuff opinion:

I would get myself a suitable low cost backup amp like a NAD CREEK LUXMAN HK or NAIM and then send the MAC amp to NOS Valves for an upgrade.

Then get new caps for the networks.

WHo knows if it is the ultimate but why chase amps when you have good equipment that maybe just needs a little updating.

Oh ... the McIntosh MC-240 has been updated a couple of years ago and NOS tubes have been added. Still have the original RCA's somewhere here also. Just to note, I am not making any complaints regarding the MC-240. I would like to know how others feel about amplifiers for the KHorns.

Oh ... the McIntosh MC-240 has been updated a couple of years ago and NOS tubes have been added. Still have the original RCA's somewhere here also. Just to note, I am not making any complaints regarding the MC-240. I would like to know how others feel about amplifiers for the KHorns.

I like the high efficiency heritage line because it is one of the most inclusive speakers when it comes to amplification. I have heard from 8 watt 300b to 200 watt crowns and thought they both sounded good. I have my preference but you decide what sounds best to you. Discover what it is you like about your system and go from there. If you have a nice MC-240 with a good source and preamp then you are set imo. Enjoy The Music.