JamFest JubeFest LaScalaFest in TN??

Coytee

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, these are taking from atop the hill. My understanding is this hill is the highest or second highest in the county. (cell phone guys were BEGGING father in law to let them put a tower up)

The home of my best friend back in Massachusetts sat on the highest hill in Stow ... and in an uncovered cell area. The telcos were after him as well and they finally parcelled off an itty-bitty piece of land, stuck it in a family trust, and watched it make $100K per year in revenue. It doesn't look bad at all. Looks like a flagpole without a flag.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was in your in-law's position ... Put in the tower, funnel the money into trust for all the grandkids' college educations. No brainer [:P]

Of course, I don't need to tell YOU that ... financial whiz that you are!

Chris

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Chris, good to see you back. Seems been a while since youve posted? (or maybe Ive just missed it) Ironically, I was just last night, looking at the pics I took at your place and once again, drooling over your Khorns.

Richard, thanks ... Nice to be back. I've been really busy finishing the remodel of this place, it's been nuts. We're finally done, just have to paint a bedroom, three bathrooms, the home theater ... Maybe another week?

I'm browsing back threads I've missed over recent months. I caught up with GaryMD last month while he was vacationing locally, but other than that, I've been MIA [:'(] I'll try to fix that!

I would like to make your Klipsch Jubeboree. How far do you live from Clarksville Tenn? That is where my sister and her husband lives. I would like to meet some of my forum friends.

I believe Clarksville is in West TN and I'm in East TN, just outside of Knoxville.

perhaps a 7 hour drive?

• Moderators

I would like to make your Klipsch Jubeboree. How far do you live from Clarksville Tenn? That is where my sister and her husband lives. I would like to meet some of my forum friends.

I believe Clarksville is in West TN and I'm in East TN, just outside of Knoxville.

perhaps a 7 hour drive?

Very cool, we are back on the topic of JubeFest in TN. I did not have time to pick up where the diversion took place, did you set a date yet? How far are you from Memphis?

Travis

perhaps a 7 hour drive?

Very cool, we are back on the topic of JubeFest in TN. I did not have time to pick up where the diversion took place, did you set a date yet? How far are you from Memphis?

Travis

Memphis is the opposite end of the state from where Richard is located. Clarksville is northeast of Nashville (40miles).

If you need some high powered amps, I can probably bring my Moondogs.

Bruce

I've not set a date as that was one thing I was hoping some consensus might bring about. We've got the date in Indy to contend with as an absolute issue. Another absolute issue is getting power out to the woods. I'd rather have it out in the woods as not only do I think that might bring a more interesting atmosphere about it but my wifes uncle and father are the 2 houses next to me and they would probably appreciate the 'noise' being further away. Though, now that I think about it some...I'm not REALLY sure they'd hear much as her uncle is near deaf and her father lives on the other side of him.

hmmm.....

Regardless... power supply IS an issue as best I can tell. Until there is some comfortable resolution to that shortcoming it might just stay an interesting idea.

Would a vehicle's 12 volt battery be sufficient to power one of those AC adapters and in turn, use that as a source? (we could have 20 cars lined up?? surely one of you electrical engineers could make it work!! [6])

I've not set a date as that was one thing I was hoping some consensus might bring about. We've got the date in Indy to contend with as an absolute issue. Another absolute issue is getting power out to the woods. I'd rather have it out in the woods as not only do I think that might bring a more interesting atmosphere about it but my wifes uncle and father are the 2 houses next to me and they would probably appreciate the 'noise' being further away. Though, now that I think about it some...I'm not REALLY sure they'd hear much as her uncle is near deaf and her father lives on the other side of him.

hmmm.....

Regardless... power supply IS an issue as best I can tell. Until there is some comfortable resolution to that shortcoming it might just stay an interesting idea.

Would a vehicle's 12 volt battery be sufficient to power one of those AC adapters and in turn, use that as a source? (we could have 20 cars lined up?? surely one of you electrical engineers could make it work!! [6])

I can see it now. Twenty cars all lined up with dead batteries as we overtax the current output....

Coytee - don't you live on a river? Maybe someone can rig a small water generator....

Or maybe everybody could bring their UPS box for their computer, a decent one might provide a half hour or so of power.

Maybe connect a bank of bicycles or treadmills connected to generators and everyone could take their turn providing power.

I've always thought of generators as LOUD, VERY LOUD...so not sure one could soundproof even a small generator well enough to be satisfactory as it probably would have to be fairly close and the power would be pretty crappy.

Taking a page from the La Scala's in the desert, maybe y'all could figure out a way to power things using small battery powered amps? t...

I still think the cabin in the back 40 for you're man cave, complete with electrical service is a cool idea....

Maybe someone would have enough electrical cable to run power from your house? May not be possible for several hundred or a couple of thousand feet but I'm sure somebody'll think of something. I think somebody suggested running a 220v line... maybe that'd be doable for the weekend.

Using the car batteries might not be such a bad idea.... they do seem to run a lot quieter than generators. Maybe everybody could bring their portable jump start batteries.

I don't think a generator will be that much of a distraction .............. some hay bales stacked safely away from unit would cut the noise ..... there are many tricks that could be used ........ take a look at sub zero lead cords .......... It could be worked out ........ all the SMART guys on this forum would figure it out .........

• Moderators

I do have that generator, if one of the smart guys could make/bring something that could clean the power up after it leaves the generator, whatever that would be ? Wouldn't want to be responsible for any electronics damaged.

I also have a 50' and 100' 12 gauge extension cord, it would be to much if put together but could be used separately.

• Moderators

In the next couple of days I could take the generator out of the workshop and out in the open in the back yard. I could measure the db's from say 50' with the exhaust pointing in the other direction to get an idea how loud it is.

I think the hay bails would also be a good idea, make a little wall between the generator and the speakers, just enough to kill off some of the noise.

Back in the day... late 60s, I went to a small weekend bash out in the woods somewhere up in Wisconsin. A few bands were playing. They had a couple of generators stuck off in the woods. With the music playing, you couldn't hear them at all. I don't remember hearing them anyway... but it was a pretty trippy weekend. A few bales would certainly work to block the noise.

Back in the day... late 60s, I went to a small weekend bash out in the woods somewhere up in Wisconsin....I don't remember hearing them anyway... but it was a pretty trippy weekend...... A few bales would certainly work to block the noise.

I TRUST you mean bales of HAY?? [:^)] [:^)] [:^)]

Sounds like some fond memories you have going there!

An easier solution would be to bypass the power section in the amp and just tap a bank of batteries onto the output of the rectifier....or just use "car" amps. Digital amps would work well too. We do this for "Quad Day" every year and can run a 200W amp all day long with a single battery and still be able to start the car afterwards.

The problem with DC to AC converters is that it's going to be expensive if you want to draw a lot of power. A lot of them output really nasty signals too, so some signal conditioning would be necessary.