Krauss and Plant....'Raising Sand'

UFObuster

.....brand new....Allison K. and Robert P......you gottit.......blue-grass meets Led Zep. This is one incredible album...just released in the last week or so. Check it out...title is "Raising Sand":

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Robert-Plant-Alison-Krauss/dp/B000UMQDHC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8862669-7290219?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1194139322&sr=1-1

Rumor has it that the much hyped Led Zep' reunion was delayed by Plant's involvement in this project and not because of Jimmy Pages' broken finger:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/03/arts/music/03zepp.html

Seriously, you won't want to miss this CD....produced by T. Bone Burnett.....excellent reproduction....sweet. Enjoy!

I hate to be a wet blanket here but...I bought the CD last night and by the time we got home from dinner and an unplanned shopping stop by the wife I only got to listen to it once. The jury is still out on it for me. The recording is good, Plant and Krauss' voices do make a nice duet, but the whole album seems dark and unmoving to me. Almost like someone said, be sure you don't show much emotion in your interpretation of the songs. There are a couple of tracks that are very good but I was not wowed by any track. Maybe just not quite what I was expecting. Need a couple more listenings today on the two channel rig rather than the car to get a better take on it. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I pre-ordered the cd from Amazon on Oct. 20, and it still hasn't SHIPPED! Grrrr...

I think it's seriously back-ordered now; I had pre-ordered from Amazon in the first week of October and it arrived about the 25th or so. I had recorded several cuts as they streamed from XM so I was able to get a good idea of what was on the CD.

Great CD, but I'm also thinking of looking into a vinyl copy. The CD is almost "over recorded", or "hot" on the gain, and I tend to like vinyl so I can record those tracks I like to a CD with a little less gain.

Anybody recommend a good i-net/ mail source for vinyl. Where I'm located, it's a 150 mile round trip to the nearest "big city" (West Palm Beach). Thanks for any assistance.

I hate to be a wet blanket here but...I bought the CD last night and by the time we got home from dinner and an unplanned shopping stop by the wife I only got to listen to it once. The jury is still out on it for me. The recording is good, Plant and Krauss' voices do make a nice duet, but the whole album seems dark and unmoving to me. Almost like someone said, be sure you don't show much emotion in your interpretation of the songs. There are a couple of tracks that are very good but I was not wowed by any track. Maybe just not quite what I was expecting. Need a couple more listenings today on the two channel rig rather than the car to get a better take on it. Just my opinion.

GRB......My opinion as well. Must say I was a little dissappointed. I think I would use the same words "dark and unmoving". I bought all the cds mentioned in the thread "Best releases for 2007" and frankly haven't heard anything that has overwhelmed me. Springsteen's Magical, two by Eva Cassidy, Raising Sand and Fogerty's Revival. Fogerty's offering was my favorite and Eva's voice is special but nothing seemed inspired. I may just be in one of those moods where nothing satisfies. "nothing satisfies" was that a Stones tune?

I do agree with the comments about Amazon. Why does it take so long to mail a cd?

FWIW, the "genre" issue is probably a key to whether one likes a given recording or not. Example, while I love Hendrix.... some of the stuff released after his death was just not interesting. Sort of a been there, done that thing. Probably the same principle at work here. While I really like the Krauss/Plant CD, I can say that there are a few tracks on that CD that just don't get me all excited.

Krauss & Plant (especially Plant for us old folks who grew up on Zeppelin), Fogerty of CCR fame, etc. will always attract us because we have a reasonable expectation of "good stuff". But we are already "familiar" with what they were/ are famous for. We're already "convinced", to some degree, that whatever the "vintage" folks are doing must perforce, be just like the "good ole' days". So as often as not, when we tell others that "this is really great stuff", and they are not familiar as we are, they can often be disappointed.

Some genre just has to grow on you. Up until a few years ago, I did not like bluegrass. But it's popular 'round these here parts', and over time and "experience" listening to the various artists, I grew to like it (to some degree and of course with some limitations). That's where I fell for Alison Krauss. The more I hear her voice, the higher on the "I like that" scale. By the same token, however, I have never been able to really appreciate opera. For the most part, it just drives me crazy (or crazier...[:|])

Music, of course, is not the only category for this phenomenon.

http://www.robertplantalisonkrauss.com/site.php?content=store

Check out Track 2 and tell me that isn't the most tender you've ever heard Percy in a long time.

Dark, what's wrong with dark? I think of it as T-bone keeping all the instruments in the lower registers, keeping the vocal frequencies complete 'clean' for his two stars. The dirge-like tempos are tentative and precocious, just what this duet needs. Sometimes it's tough to tell exactly where the vocal track will enter and where it will lead you. I think of it as mysterious, not dark.

It's East-meets-West at its finest.

And doesn't Robert look stunning with the LZ III beard again? Listen to those tracks from Bron-yr-aur, the cottage in South Snowdonia, Plant has been down this path once before, but it was a lifetime ago. I always enjoyed the blues/country feel to some of Pagey's compositions and the stripped down feel of Page/Plant. This recording seems like a natural progression.

Anybody recommend a good i-net/ mail source for vinyl. Where I'm located, it's a 150 mile round trip to the nearest "big city" (West Palm Beach). Thanks for any assistance.

Here are the sites I use for audiophile vinyl:

www.acousticsounds.com

www.elusivedisc.com

www.musicdirect.com

Mike

FYI, I'm on back order at Music Direct right now. I'm in no hurry. Thought it would be an interesting album. My "sleeper" favorite of the year so far was 70 year old Ian Hun

Here are the sites I use for audiophile vinyl:

www.acousticsounds.com

www.elusivedisc.com

www.musicdirect.com

Mike

FYI, I'm on back order at Music Direct right now. I'm in no hurry. Thought it would be an interesting album. My "sleeper" favorite of the year so far was 70 year old Ian Hunter's new record, Shrunken Heads. CD only but that guy can still roll.

Okay.....I have had my third listening this afternoon and it is growing on me. Its just that I have heard other unusal pairings that I liked immediately and this one is taking some warming up to. John Lee Hooker and Bonnie Raitt and Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle come to mind. Nothing wrong with this cd at all...just not what I anticipated....

Check out Track 2 and tell me that isn't the most tender you've ever heard Percy in a long time.

Dark, what's wrong with dark? I think of it as T-bone keeping all the instruments in the lower registers, keeping the vocal frequencies complete 'clean' for his two stars. The dirge-like tempos are tentative and precocious, just what this duet needs. Sometimes it's tough to tell exactly where the vocal track will enter and where it will lead you. I think of it as mysterious, not dark.

It's East-meets-West at its finest.

And doesn't Robert look stunning with the LZ III beard again? Listen to those tracks from Bron-yr-aur, the cottage in South Snowdonia, Plant has been down this path once before, but it was a lifetime ago. I always enjoyed the blues/country feel to some of Pagey's compositions and the stripped down feel of Page/Plant. This recording seems like a natural progression.

Killing the Blues, by Rowland Salley - one of my favorite songs of all time! I am pretty familiar with the recordings of John Prine (Pink Cadillac) and Chris Smithers (Live As I'll Ever Be - excellent version). But then... it reminded me of Bonnie Raitt's Angel From Montgomery... your are pretty sure she has lived every one of her songs.

Not saying this is the case, but...........Did you ever notice, some new music you get, and play the heck out of it, and 6 months later, it doesn't get played anymore, or the other extreme, you get it, play it, don't like it right away, and 6 months later, it's one of your favorites ?? Happens all the time to me ............... Sorta' like Plant-Page Unledded .........didn't like it at first, but after a few listens, wow, that's good ............ could be the same with Krauss-Plant.....just thinkin' outloud !!!!!!!!

I got it last week and have listened to it a bunch.

Has anyone else noticed excessive amounts of HISS is the recordings ?????  I fund it unbearable at times.

Running La Scalas and Bottlehead 300b Paramounts.  The hiss goes silent between tracks, then come right back up during the next song.  It is not my rig ... all of my "normal" really silent recordings ... are still silent.

Anyone else notice this ????