They're Russian now, but they still speak just the same

greg928gts

The "M" Khorns that I restored finally made it to my customer in Moscow Russia after two and a half months in shipping and being held in customs.

I had the biggest smile on my face while viewing the pictures of them unloading the 835 lb crate off an old Russian military truck half-way around the world. The crate was never opened during the journey and the speakers were in perfect condition when they unpacked them.

www.dcchomes.com/Mkhorn7.html

Greg

A job very well done Greg! Nothing but the best from our friend and great craftsman in Maine. It's amazing that they were never opened or checked. Nice packaging job but I'm a bit surprised as it looks like they were shipped totally assembled, is this correct. Looks like they found a home in a nice neighborhood too.

Thanks for keeping the PWK legacy alive!

Michael

• Moderators

Very nice job on the Khorns, the packaging and the crate, none of it could have been done better !

If anyone ask tell them your work is so good is World Wide and you can prove it !

They are pretty, and that was a nice thing to do sending the book and paper ! [Y]

Thanks guys. Yes, everything went very smoothly with this whole transaction.

I found though, that for every hour I spent working on the restoration, I spent an hour on the webpage, pictures, this forum, and correspondence with Serg and potential customers!

I was surprised the crate wasn't opened. I guess the current thinking is to just leave the crates sitting around long enough in a warehouse to see if they'll blow up. I suppose they have bomb-sniffing equipment, drug-sniffing dogs, etc...

Yup, I shipped them completely assembled. They were wrapped in plastic, put face to face with foam insulation between and held tight together with metal banding and wood on the inside. Then more foam insulation all around and the crate was built around the speakers very tightly and screwed with large torx screws and banded with metal banding.

Greg

Greg,

This story makes for a great read. The pics are great, too. Congratulations on this project ending the way it did-with an incredibly satisfied customer!

My favorite line in his e-mail: "...I upgraded my computer operating system to Vista, most of programs are not working now." [:D]

-David

Wow! What a story!

So, the final configuration is Bob's woofers, Al's ES networks, Trachorns and Beyma tweeters?

I'd
suggest you try Al's Universal networks, Bob's tweeters and K-55-Vs on
K-400 horns that have been wrapped in warmed up Dynamat (use the
original version of the Dynamat if you can get it). I believe
that will give you some of the smoothness you liked in the ES networks
without killing the "Alive" sound. Bob's tweeters are not quite
as hot and K-77s are, but go higher. Since there is not that much
"music" above 10k, it will take a special recording to show off that
capability, but the smoothness of Bob's tweeters should show.

I
find it interesting that you thought "Blue Rondo A La Turk" and "Take
Five" from the Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time out" is not that well
recorded. The recording technique is not sophisticated, but I
like it and find it sounds very much like I'm sitting in the room
watching. I do agree that "Back in the High Life Again" is a
superb recording and good for demos.

More superb work and a great story to boot! Fantatic looking restoration Greg.

So what kind of tube gear does that guy have? I have this re-occurring feeling that the Russians might have made some good tube gear, but I've been told that isn't true. I wonder if when you're emailing him if you could find out for me. I betcha it would be cheap and since I know someone who goes over there on a regular basis maybe I could have her haul back a brick or two.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words.

I always had a vision of Russia as being in black and white with gray mixed in. Very poor, crowded cities, socialized housing, bad food, etc... Obviously that's not the case.

I have had a great time corresponding with Sergei. Well over 100 emails. He owns his own manufacturing company that makes seals for machinery. It cracked me up when I got to call him a capitalist! I didn't get a response back from that one, so I didn't go any further with it. But he's sent me lots of pictures of his speed boat, camp, family, trips, etc... and it all looks very American to me. He's building a beautiful new home, and he spares no expense on his audio equipment. I think he has more money in wires than I have in my whole system.

A friend of mine suggested that maybe he's . . . you know . . . . involved with certain . . . . special businessmen. Yeah, businessmen, that's it. I don't think so, but who knows?

Here's an email midway through the project:

Dear Greg,

Thank You, Yes I'm watching Your site, The speakers are going to be super!!! Yhe wood is beatiful!!! Regarding dates, it is not a big problem, if they are finished a bit later. The quality and workmanship is I care about mostly. I have bought for Your speakers tube amp. Cary CAD 211AE - the flagship, one of 5 best amps. on the planet!!! I want Your unordinary speakers be powered by not an ordinary amp. http://www.caryaudio.com/products/classic/CAD211AE.html I bought the monoblocks from a place 100 miles away from London. I'm going to pick them up while I'm in England and carry with me to Moscow, but the weight is 90lbs. each!! I dont know how they will let me take them with me in aircraft . I'll find a way.. I will manage...

i will select photos of my house and send to You. Yesteday I shot about 300 snaps, taking a tour around our "village" with my wife. It was holyday in Russia yesterday.

O'K, be in touch with You.

Best regards,

Sergei

Holyday! He cracks me up.

John - I suppose "not well recorded" is not what I meant, but rather not very good fidelity. Maybe I'm playing it too loud!

Craig - He made all the arrangements for shipping, so it wasn't too nerve racking.

Picture below is of a piece of equipment he has signed by Jeff Rowland.

Greg

post-11090-13819349823914_thumb.jpg

I like the guys comment the he'd just upgraded his computer to Vista and most of it "wasn't working".  In this saga I think there's a screenplay in the offing.  Don't know what Sergi does but he must does it well to live like that in mother Russia.  Maybe we'll get a picture of Putin with these someday soon?  Marvelous work and marvelous crating.  How many rubles were they? 

I have travelled to Russia numerous times, one of our sons is adopted from Siberia.

Russia is a country of extremes.

Moscow has the 3rd highest number of billionaires in the world. NYC, Tokyo are 1 and 2.

Saw more Lamborgini's, Ferrari's, Rolls, Bentlys, etc than anyplace else.

And saw more homeless beggars, giving the border towns on the Texas border a run for their money.

Very few overall, though, live in houses like his.

Paul