jubilee

bodcaw boy

So is the bickering in this thread officially screwed up enough now that I can lock it, or am I going to get a hundred emails accusing me of being an intolerant Nazi?

Just curious.

So they bicker....Big deal!

Personally I find little of substance anywhere in this thread. And even less to be upset about.** So the answer is not to read it. Not to over-react with much ado over nothing!

What is more significant is that anyone should feel the need to lock a thread because people might disagree or "bicker", for whatever reason!

I think I am beginning to understand why the other thread was deleted: a simple emptional over-reaction that exceeded anything that was posted in the thread... Especially as no one who was posting was in any way upset.!

Geesh....

Let me know when the folks who have not heard the Jubilees figure out what they think of them based upon heresay. Like it matters..

**What can demonstrate the total lack of substance better than references to such things as "crappy pro amps and nice tube gear". I mean, some folks need the distortion imparted by tubes. Distortion is a good thing. After all, it allows them to puff out their chest and talk of "tube watts".Hey, and that really is something! After all, then their 6W amps can actually generate at least 13W of heat in a pinch! [That can come in handy on a cold winter's night! [:P] [:D]

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Think of it as Klipschorn meets KLF-30."

Yuck, those earbleeders? I think the top is clean and open like the RF-7 but with the huge soundstage.

"...however, blaring AC/DC at 100+ db's using SS equipment is not enjoyable and is in fact painful - to my ears."

Those short burst were almost 120dB. That kind of loud is painful no matter what the speaker sounds like.

Dean, you will note I specifically referred to the bottom section when I mentioned KLF-30's. I have yet to hear a bottom section which could be referred to as earbleeders. You take exception when there is none to take over a comparison I did not make.

I believe they probably were close to 120 dbs. The loudness didn't bother me - the screeching guitar and his voice however bored their way through my skull. And yes, you can achieve the same kind of aural toothdrilling with other speakers. I think I said as much - they can surpass all else and they can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

You mentioned "clean & open." I suggest certain music should not be played on such a system at high volumes unless you want to test your pain thresholds. I believe the same music played on the 510 would have been less offensive at the same volume.

As I said, I would buy the 402. I just wouldn't play AC/DC at those volumes without first wearing ear plugs.

A question for any of the Jub owners. How much does the bass cabinet weigh by itself, without the 402 on top?

Mark,

I think the majority of the Jub owners here are owners of the real thing, and not home made offspring. Rigma made his own, and Bob won his at the pilgrimage in June. Most have owned the other hertiage models. They are making a reasonably fair comparison. I would certainly expect that the Jubs would outperform the other models, not based on cost, but based on greater engineering experience and technology. They certainly weren't purchased for their looks, and they must sound pretty good for the wives to put up with them. [:#]

I would love a pair, but the cost would be too prohibitive... I would need to extend my living room to have enough space for them and still be comfortable.

"Isn't that what "the live sound" is all about?:) Trust me, the Jubilee top section is very well behaved, and it likes crappy pro amps almost as much as it likes nice tube gear."

----------------

That doesn't even begin to make sense. If the top unit sounds the same with DJ or Karaoke amps as it does with quality audio amps that wouldn't even make it to the RF or RB class let alone Heritage. What source are you using, WiFi radio? Smile

Still not a single configuration listed here. Where'd all those Jubilee guys go?

What I was trying to say is that I don't think the Jubilee is as picky as to what's driving it as the Heritage stuff is. That, or the DJ and Karaoke amps are just sounding a lot better than they used to. Beats me. I've got a Crown XTi 1000 in here right now and I really don't want to like it but I do.

Mine were built by Klipsch. I have the big 402 horn and I'm still running the passive filters I built until the second amp shows up on Friday -- when I will be fully active. My passives have just been sold to groomslakearea51 (Marshall). I've been listening with my SI Super-T and Sony 9000ES at modest volumes.

Mine were built by Klipsch. I have the big 402 horn and I'm still running the passive filters I built until the second amp shows up on Friday -- when I will be fully active. My passives have just been sold to groomslakearea51 (Marshall). I've been listening with my SI Super-T and Sony 9000ES at modest volumes.

Dean, wait until you hear the 402 with a Crown. You'll be very happy. The 402 can actually have punch. You will see.

Edit: Actually it is more like slam. Whatever a solid snare hit should be called. You will feel it.

Dean, wait until you hear the 402 with a Crown. You'll be very happy.

I already have, that's why I'm buying the second one. After I got the first one I set one Jubilee up using the 48dB/octave LR alignment. After I heard the results I decided to order the second amp. I also just ordered the Aphex 124A. The solid snare hit is called THWACK. :)

"Isn't that what "the live sound" is all about?:) Trust me, the Jubilee top section is very well behaved, and it likes crappy pro amps almost as much as it likes nice tube gear."

----------------

That doesn't even begin to make sense. If the top unit sounds the same with DJ or Karaoke amps as it does with quality audio amps that wouldn't even make it to the RF or RB class let alone Heritage.

I for one am finding alot of enjoyment with a crappy old pro amp on a pair of Chorus II's. And I've been jammin for years with alot of different gear. I think they are closing the gap Mark. Then again I'm a metal head what do I know.[:|]

Dean,

The Alpha 124a is a good read. I hope it is cleaner (less hum) and more transparent than an Art Cleanbox. Reads like it is. What preamp are you using that requires a buffer box with the Crowns? You had a cleanbox, right? What happened to that? Can you let us know the difference in performance between the 2 buffer boxes.

I returned 1 cleanbox and kept my modded one. I'm hoping to ditch it completely when the second Crown arrives. If the Peach can not drive the Crowns directly.......I'm going to consider selling it and replacing it with a Benchmark DAC1. I would like to try an all digital front end with no preamp and see how that does.

• Moderators

What's wrong with bickering? Not much PK spirit around here if you don't let the 2x4's swing around a bit. What's the point in locking or deleting it, there will just be another, and another, etc. How about we give you a choice -- Jubilee threads or tube vs.solid state threads.:)

Because it turns into a boy's club fight between 2 or 3 people, and while some on the outside of the skirmish think it's funny and enjoy the same old arguments, there are new people who come to the forum, see a popular thread, read it, and think this kind of behavior is accepted and normal. They think one of three things:

1. "Cool forum, I can rip on people whenever I want. I think I'll join the fun."

2. "What a hostile place. I'll seek help elsewhere."

3. "Wow, how childish. I'll just ignore them."

Now, # 3 is perfectly acceptable, but the others are not. So put yourself in my shoes. Roy can play the good cop if he wants to, I don't mind being the bad cop. I'm used to it.

All that said, if you can talk about Jubilees without insulting each other, I don't have a problem with "bickering."

Thanks.

Mark,

What I have found in practice is that the Peach comes close to driving my active crossover and it is 10K input as well. I just am not satisfied because it just makes it. The LoZ does not have enough drive REALLY, and forget about HiZ. I found that I can not get really decent sound unless I use the buffer box (Art Cleanbox). I really like the sound of the Peach. I wish it was compatible with the Pro amps so I can use all its modes and not be pushing it so hard. Is it possible to make it just as compatible as with a home amp? By the way, thanks for jumping in on this.

I'm not using a preamp, which is why I'm using the Cleanbox -- which is going back to Parts Express when the Aphex shows up. I'm surprised you're using one since you have a preamp with individual gain controls. Mark would know if the Peach can drive the Crown, but it sure seems like it ought to. I tried the Crown direct with nothing in between, and even just one click on the gain controls was too loud for normal listening. I think the power is overkill in a major way, but the Crown is the most cost effective way to get power, EQ, and of course the filter. Cost is a big factor in my purchasing from this point out, and I'm happy to say the Crown is a great performer with a sound that's very easy to live with. It sure doesn't sound much like I remember solid state sounding like, and I'm at a loss on that one.