jubilee

bodcaw boy

"Isn't that what "the live sound" is all about?:) Trust me, the Jubilee
top section is very well behaved, and it likes crappy pro amps almost
as much as it likes nice tube gear."

----------------

That doesn't even begin to make sense. If the top unit sounds the same with DJ or Karaoke amps as it does with quality audio amps that wouldn't even make it to the RF or RB class let alone Heritage. What source are you using, WiFi radio? Smile

Still not a single configuration listed here. Where'd all those Jubilee guys go?

I infer along Mark's line of question. Jub has at least a few undefined design variants in the matrix of horn and networks. A DIY project without the sawdust so to speak.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey...since this is a Jubilee thread...can I ask a Jubilee question

What finishes are available? black and black.

Can I get a RAW birch one

if you put in a special request order form.

or are these made of MDF?

3/4", birch veneer, furniture grade, 7 ply plywood

Wasn't there a marine plywood deal going?

yep. all done and shipped and sitting in an outside portion of a restaurant in colorado.

Just figured since ugly keeps coming up...what happening in that area?

nothing. we work hard to get it that ugly.

I personally think a metal trimed one with handles would be cool.

ugly is as ugly does.

Mike would probally want to add one to his collection if these things had handles.

How about a mini one with a sub.

when i get some time.

How about an auto version for the back of my SUV.

jubs ride in the front seat only!!

hey some questions!!

in Christ, because of God's grace,

roy

Roy,

Perhaps you've done this already and I missed it. If so, I apologize in advance.

Would you please give us a comparison between the 402 and 510 drivers?

What sonic differences might one expect to hear between the two?

Thanks.

no apology necessary. the 510 and 402 use the same driver. now the difference between the horns is pretty simple. the 510 controls the horizontal about 90 degrees to about 500 Hz and the vertical to about 2k Hz at 60 degrees. the 402 controls the horizontal about 90 degrees to about 300 Hz and the vertical at 60 degrees to about 500 hz. they are both modified tractrix horns. because the 510 loses control at a higher freq in the vertical and the polar pattern becomes wide below 2k Hz, more energy is directed at the floor and ceiling there by creating more opportunities for reflections that can interfere with the direct sound. what you would hear is more "reverb" kinda sound. more splashy......this tends to smear the soundstage and make blurr details. and because there is more acoustic energy being "released" into the room between crossover (i think it is about 600 Hz for your system) and 2k, it could tend to sound very forward/midrangy depending on your room. hope this helps.

in Christ, because of God's grace,

roy

Roy, I think Bob has the B&C driver (presuming I've got the right brand). He doesn't have the K-69. Don't know if that makes a differece in your comments or not. If it's not "B&C", he has what I belive to be the 'other brand' you had in Indy, what ever it is.

"Isn't that what "the live sound" is all about?:) Trust me, the Jubilee
top section is very well behaved, and it likes crappy pro amps almost
as much as it likes nice tube gear."

----------------

That doesn't even begin to make sense. If the top unit sounds the same with DJ or Karaoke amps as it does with quality audio amps that wouldn't even make it to the RF or RB class let alone Heritage. What source are you using, WiFi radio? Smile

Still not a single configuration listed here. Where'd all those Jubilee guys go?

As listed in my profile;

Jubilee Clones, VPI Aries & Denon DL-103. Scratch built 76 based
tube Pre Amp and Angela 300B Mono blocks for music. McIntosh MX-135 HT
only. Jolida 100 Tube CD

rigma

I infer along Mark's line of question. Jub has at least a few undefined design variants in the matrix of horn and networks. A DIY project without the sawdust so to speak.

What kind of Jubilee do you have? (fill in the blanks)

1. Which bass bin - homebrew or Klipsch? Original Klipsch for me

2. Which top end and horn? K-402

3. Which crossovers? Active, EV, Dx-38

4. Which amplifier? Crown K2 on bass bins, McIntosh Mc-2102 (tubed, 2x100) on top horns OR a dbx BX-3, configurable 4-way amp and it too, sounds great.

5. What primary source components? Sony dvd player, Sony CD player (don't know/care models, both are 5-changers) and a Peach

Oh, I forgot to add, I'm also using that Art Cleanbox to jump out of the Peach and convert to XLR inputs on the Dx-38.

5. What primary source components? Sony dvd player, Sony CD player (don't know/care models, both are 5-changers)

Almost 15,000 dollars worth of gear and your using a 100-200 dollar source. Please say it isnt so. Or am I mistaken and its the ES/SACD line?

Seriously though, do you find the source makes little difference?

Almost 15,000 dollars worth of gear and your using a 100-200 dollar source. Please say it isnt so. Or am I mistaken and its the ES/SACD line?

Fraid it's so [:o]

Pfffft!!! I think I paid $250 plus tax... [;)]

It's not any of the fancy lines...well.. maybe not true... my cd changer DOES play SACD's now that I think about it. Other than that, I've kept them simply because I have them and hate buying something different if they work fine (then PLEASE explain why the heck I replaced my perfectly good working Khorns for some plug uglies??)

I'll get to changing them one day... after all, I'm missing the remote for my dvd player and have to do a make shift job on it to make it work...I've just never felt the desire to dig into that part of the food chain yet. Besides, although I hear some nice things about some of the tube cd players, I REALLY get more function out of a changer for how I listen. I never get to sit in the sweet spot & listen intently. Indeed, my "sweet spot" is occupied by a table that I'm not allowed to move [:(] My actual and typical listening position is my couch which is on the side of the room.

Actually, I bought them before I was really aware of what I was getting into. But they are still fun. Everyone who sees them makes fun of me.

Not after they hear it, eh, Mark? I don't have 402's yet, but LaScalas make nice MidBass/Midrange units in the meantime. When everything is on, including the VMPS subs, I get 22Hz-20Khz +/- 4.6 db in the sweet spot. Arumph, tiz, boom, bang, great for music with extreme bass detail and yeah, Master and Commander canons are no sweat at all.

post-22904-1381935412953_thumb.jpg

As listed in my profile;

Jubilee Clones, VPI Aries & Denon DL-103. Scratch built 76 based
tube Pre Amp and Angela 300B Mono blocks for music. McIntosh MX-135 HT
only. Jolida 100 Tube CD

rigma

-----------

Now that sounds like a music system I'd be interested to hear.

Mark,

If you ever want to visit Nashville you are more than welcome to come visit us.

rigma

There is pleanty of juice in the Peach LoZ mode to do this job, but the final output and plumbing need to be changed. I honestly cringe thinking of a dimestore musician's Kludgebox hanging off the back of a Peach when I could make a mod that would solve the problem and retain the sonic characteristics. It's not a dirt cheap thing, but certainly reasonable. I'd say around $300. If you or anyone with a Peach has interest let me know. (Won't work on a BlueBerry though, only a Peach.)

Mark, this is something I am interested in. Thanks. However, I need to first do some testing when my second Crown amp arrives and figure out if this is necessary or not. The Peach has difficulties driving my active crossover as I mentioned. The Crowns have the DSP functions in them and I can remove the active crossover. The question is whether or not the Peach can drive the Crowns. I won't know about that, or my satisfaction concerning it until this weekend.

I am sure others would be interested in the same mod. Can you explain what the mod is, and what it accomplishes? Thanks again..

Wow, I'm even more interested now. I know someone else who will be too. I didn't think you were rushing me at all Mark. That would be a VERY nice setup for the direction I have taken. It would also be a solid reason to put off going to a digital front end for the time being. I have really been very happy with my Peach.

Mark... (D), interesting turn of events here regarding retrofitting the Peach!!

I, as I'm sure others, will be very interested to see how this unfolds. Maybe once you get all your thoughts down, you can make a post about the potential change (upgrade?) [Y]

Soooo, what are the chances of you ALSO converting the Peach to a DUAL stereo AND 5.1 setup at the same time ? [6]

[;)]

Roy, I think Bob has the B&C driver (presuming I've got the right brand). He doesn't have the K-69. Don't know if that makes a differece in your comments or not. If it's not "B&C", he has what I belive to be the 'other brand' you had in Indy, what ever it is.

Richard,

You've got a good memory.

I checked and they are indeed B&C KPT904's.

I have no idea how they compare to K-69's, but I can tell you this: They sound DARN GOOD! [:D]

Bob

Jub has at least a few undefined design variants in the matrix of horn and networks. A DIY project without the sawdust so to speak.

I'm not sure I would describe it that way. Active crossovers are common devices and can certainly be switched out, but the actual programming of the active crossover "will" (should) be the same for every unit. It's really no different than being able to choose your own amplifier to drive your speakers with.

In other words, it's a fully engineered solution. The only thing that might possibly be construed as "DIY" about it is the fact that if you don't like black, you'll need to pretty it up yourself.

Essentially, it is revising the LoZ output stage to drive a very high quality balanced output transformer

If that's what you're going to do, then these guys could just purchase their own balanced output transformer and let it sit outside the box and not have to worry about any modifications or reversability issues to the Peach.

Heck, make a little box for the transformers and add a few fancy connectors.

One of the pitfalls to transformer based solutions is the low or high frequency roll off. I'm pretty sure Mark is aware of these issues, but I bring it up because you can't just go with any arbitrary transformer. For example, the cheap things from Radio Shack.

Another advantage to a transformer based solution is that you can provide ground isolation too, which will eliminate ground loops too.

Is this the transformer you were thinking of using Mark?
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/10k611m.pdf

For those not using the Peach, I could whip y'all up a fancy box like this. I'm not a big fan of transformer based solutions since they're so expensive, but it certainly is a very valid approach. I know tube diehards wouldn't be huge fans of solid state circuits, but it would be a whole heck of a lot cheaper and smaller to just go with an opamp based solution. I don't see much sense in avoiding opamps when the pro amps being used are full of them...

That jensen transformer looks fine.

Aside from the OPAMP solution.....there are tube PCB's that can be used such as the attached which will accept an XLR or RCA input and drive an XLR output in a pure balanced mode using a dedicated tube triode for each phase of the XLR signal.

post-22082-13819354144874_thumb.jpg

....there are tube PCB's that can be used such as the attached which will accept an XLR or RCA input and drive an XLR output in a pure balanced mode using a dedicated tube triode for each phase of the XLR signal.

[:|]

You guys have FAR too much time on your hands if this much effort is being used to figure out how to convert from unbalanced to balanced!

....especially when you consider that the opamp option is presented for the purpose of adjustable level matching and is not required to simply convert the topologies.

Bill Whitlock has beaten this proverbial horse to death with all of the information one ever needs.

Geesh, some can manufacture a connundrum out of anything.