jubilee

bodcaw boy

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another time and shot of treatments tried. Notice home made Poly on the ceiling for the mirror reflection point of the KHorn.

Believe it or not the mirrors actually worked very well in the room. I could slide them out in a few minutes and compare the sound with and without them. What I really liked about them was they produced a visual depth to the room which made the illusion of images much more believable.

mike tn

post-14473-13819354696156_thumb.jpg

KHorn Shots of large POLYs and RPG QRD style diffusers I built way back then.

I really miss having this room which was excellent once some treatments were applied.

Again I did all this before ETF type programs were reasonably available and sure would like to have had that program back then.

mike tn[:)]

post-14473-13819354696696_thumb.jpg

i know.....i know.....let's put wiindows in the recording studios.........

roy

I have a picture here somewhere, of Laura Nyro's studio control room. It had windows on three sides, and they were left uncovered... She wanted to be able to see out into the woods while she recorded.

I'll scan it when I get a chance, and post it. It was actually in an article on control room layouts and how to deal with acoustics problems.

Mark, I might talke you up on your offer. Unfortunately, my LR is for living first. There's a piano, bookcases, etc. But mostly, I am the only one there, since all the kids but one have moved out. Last one is normally away at college. I'll get some dimensions and drawings done up.

Bruce

This last pic is an nice looking room Mike. Did you generally prefer the Belle as center fill? And which was better - mirrors in or out?

It really depended on the Recording Mark. I used the 2PH3 center derived signal for it so depending on how the recording was made had alot to do with the resulting sound. Level often needed to be tweeked within about a +/-2db window which I eventually did with a remote OBH10 Volume control. The center was always locked in better with less listener head shifting effects but sometimes I felt like clarity suffered on the best recordings. I believe it is just a price you pay because of deriving the center signal from the 2PH3 type method.

I always prefered this room with the mirrors. I know it is contrary to what most would suggest and I still would be cautious of doing it in any room but it really worked for me.

Can you explain the "home made Poly on the ceiling," I am not sure I understood that. What actually is it?

It was made of Clear Lexan and I could control the arc with the chains I used to suspend it from the ceiling. I placed Klipsch T Shirts in them for fun!

The purpose of it was to disperse and redirect the mirror image reflection of in this case the left Khorn. As Heyser's Audio Magazine KHorn test had shown that the Khorn's Tweeter and Midrange Sounds would reflect off of a ceiling (Thats one reason why a KHorn generally sounds better in rooms with higher ceilings). (This is also why Horns that control their polar angels at all frequencies of it's design range should sound better and more consistant in any enviroment and I vote the K402 as Cutting Edge in this regard!)

If you deal with these reflection in many situations clarity and imaging should be better.

mike tn

All these Beautiful room treatments reminds me of a Past Form Member..........He had a Huge Basement, with Cardboard Room Treatments that looked like architecture pieces..............(Now what was his name????????????) He posted in the Architecture section mainly......

Mike TN:

I tried 2' x 4' x 6" bass traps ( http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=products.proddetails∏=RT426B --- plus 3 Owens Corning 703 2" fiberglass panels per bag) in the corner above each speaker, each angled at 45 degrees toward the center of the room. This didn't affect the liveness or width/depth of the soundstage but it made the listening sweet spot much wider, slightly taller and much less sensitive to changes in listening position. Since my ceiling is 9' high I didn't have to rearrange the Jubs to set the bass traps directly on top of the horns toward the driver end; the traps are lightweight enough to do this.

Subsequent to the above results, I laid out floor covering--my floor is tile--which slightly damped the soundstage liveness but increased the vertical dimension of the image. I haven't had a chance to try many other locations for the other two traps I've got but it seems like they do well down low on the left to balance the couch's damping on the right. My wife could really hear a difference

Hey Chris

Sounds like you have made some good progress especially if your listening position isn't being as critical.

When you mention floor covering are you positioning some of them(sounds like you have since you mention an increase in image height being perceived) at what would be the mirror images of the speakers? Try it (pillows, etc... temporarily) if you haven't even if it is something you would maybe just move in and out of place when doing critical listening.

In the past I have benefited treating the mirror reflections of the speakers on the ceiling with KHorns and it might be worth trying with the Jubs also. This is where actually being able to do an ETC measurement of your room would really benefit you.

I really need to find the time to seriously reanalize my room since placeing the Jubs in there. I've moved some treatments around from when I had the Khorns but I need to get it done properly. I've just not been very concerned since things sound really good for my current room limitations.

mike tnSmile

Mike,

The temporary floor coverings I used were old comforters that we use when watching DVDs. They work very well as movable absorbers. I also find that room furnishings work to diffuse sound - there is never a lack of things to be placed on level surfaces in this household, including the mantle, wall-mounted shelves, and bookcases. The behind-the-sofa location on the right is now hosting a bass trap at a 45 degree angle along the baseboard. The front of the sofas can be bare or covered with soft comforters to adjust reflectance/absorption. It only takes a moment to rearrange these to devices to achieve many different combinations. However, the only remaining issue is ceiling bounce. In that respect, your ceiling rack looks very good indeed. I'll need some time, however, to convince the boss that this is "the next thing to address." However, the Jubs do pretty well without any real effort there. I had a lot more ceiling and floor bounce issues with the Khorns, however.

Thanks again,

Chris A.

However, the only remaining issue is ceiling bounce. In that respect, your ceiling rack looks very good indeed. I'll need some time, however, to convince the boss that this is "the next thing to address." However, the Jubs do pretty well without any real effort there. I had a lot more ceiling and floor bounce issues with the Khorns, however.

Chris the rack is just for me to experiment with different things. In your case I would just treat the mirror reflections of the Jubs on the ceiling to cover the critical listening area at most if you decide to check it out more.

mike tn[:)]

Mike TN:

I tried 2' x 4' x 6" bass traps ( http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=products.proddetails∏=RT426B --- plus 3 Owens Corning 703 2" fiberglass panels per bag) in the corner above each speaker, each angled at 45 degrees toward the center of the room. This didn't affect the liveness or width/depth of the soundstage but it made the listening sweet spot much wider, slightly taller and much less sensitive to changes in listening position. Since my ceiling is 9' high I didn't have to rearrange the Jubs to set the bass traps directly on top of the horns toward the driver end; the traps are lightweight enough to do this.

Subsequent to the above results, I laid out floor covering--my floor is tile--which slightly damped the soundstage liveness but increased the vertical dimension of the image. I haven't had a chance to try many other locations for the other two traps I've got but it seems like they do well down low on the left to balance the couch's damping on the right. My wife could really hear a difference

Hey Chris

Sounds like you have made some good progress especially if your listening position isn't being as critical.

When you mention floor covering are you positioning some of them(sounds like you have since you mention an increase in image height being perceived) at what would be the mirror images of the speakers? Try it (pillows, etc... temporarily) if you haven't even if it is something you would maybe just move in and out of place when doing critical listening.

In the past I have benefited treating the mirror reflections of the speakers on the ceiling with KHorns and it might be worth trying with the Jubs also. This is where actually being able to do an ETC measurement of your room would really benefit you.

I really need to find the time to seriously reanalize my room since placeing the Jubs in there. I've moved some treatments around from when I had the Khorns but I need to get it done properly. I've just not been very concerned since things sound really good for my current room limitations.

mike tnSmile

All of that sounds like alot of work !

For the best room treatments just use the one wife with 3 girlfriends, even 1 or 2 girlfriends is also an improvement to a room !

Or in your case just add 1 or 2 additional girlfriends to improve any room !

I think you will like and notice a huge difference !

Yea, but they get tired of sitting in the corners...

Regards,

Chris

• 1 year later...

I have my list at office and not home...I'm thinking "Bigdnfay"???

Aside from that, just in case you get an interest... I might have Chris, also from Charlotte area, coming to my house the weekend of Feb 14. He's coming to pick up some stuff unrelated to the Jubilees. We'll probably spend a short bit stretching their legs though, iffen ya know what I mean [A]

My suspicion is he's looking for another audition. Perhaps to hear another flavor, prior to making some kind of decision...

Well I bought my buddies Mirage M1 speakers and have them hooked up to my Crown Macro Reference which at a 6 ohm load is pushing about 950 watts/ch into each speaker and I can turn the preamp volume all the way up to max with the gains on the Crown all the way up and I still need more volume to get to live listening levels ( you are likely the only one on this forum who can relate to what I'm talking about)[8-)] So I'm still looking at starting off with buiding the bass bins since I have some unused corners and relieving the Mirage speakers of everything below 100hz.

So I want to listen to as many possible set-ups as possible...your Jubilees have left an impression on me that will last a long time.[:D]

Funny you mentioned another trip up to your place, as I was just telling my son the other day that I would like to go back up and max out your volume control with my demo disc to see if I could get those woofers to bottom out on the Terminator track that usually happens. I left a little in reserve the first time out of respect for your equipment.

Hobie,

I am no electrical engineer...........but when I ran my Mirage M1's with my little Onkyo 506 I got excellent Volume just turning the volume to 8:00 Oclock on my dial.............

If you have that much power, do you maybe have something hooked up incorrectly? or do you just like Loud Volume?........just trying to Understand because the Mirage is an excellent, smooth speaker....... JMHO.

I have found out that they are not available anywhere at this time....the guy who bought the diagrahm press has told me that it would take a large order for him to justify making new tweeters....when I bought the speakers both of the rear tweeters were already blown.[:(]