Front Row At Strathmore - Jethro Tull (Last Night)

garymd

Back in October when we were at Strathmore to see The Planets during our MD/DC/VA Forum get-together, we were looking through the program and saw "An Evening With Jethro Tull" was on the schedule for December 3rd. Strathmore holds 2,400 and has the best acoustics I've ever heard in a music hall/theater. My fellow forum member (to be named at a later date) turned to me and said, "Get us tickets and I'll fly in for the show." We kept it very quiet and I was able to get a pair of what I thought at the time were 3rd row seats. As we walked to the front of the orchestra seats last night, we were pleasantly surprised to discover the section began with row "C."

The show was nothing short of spectacular! They brought in a string quartet from Boston for the tour made up of of 4 GORGEOUS string players! I'm not sure whose idea it was for the tight, black outfits but I'm guessing Mr. Anderson had something to do with that.

They began with a tune from their not-so-well-known first LP (Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You), a little blues number performed by Ian Anderson and Martin Barre on guitar. They followed this with Living In The Past then proceeded to play just about everything you'd want to hear. It would have been nice to hear something from Too Old Too Rock n' Roll, Too Young To Die or something from Songs From The Woods but with so much material, you can't have it all I suppose.

I must admit it was a bit painful watching Ian Anderson sing. He still has great tone and is on key but doesn't have the wind to belt out the tunes like he used to. He really struggled and I think if they had just turned up his mic he would have been alright. They did turn it up some for Thick As A Brick. He more than made up for what he lacked in the vocal department with his flute playing which was as good as ever, maybe better.

Did anyone here know that Aqualung was recorded with no flute? I certainly didn't but found out last night when he told the crowd they put together a new version that included flute along with the strings. It was amazing, particularly when Barre finally came to the front of the stage and played his signature opening to the song and they started rocking the house.

After the encore (Locomotive Breath) and the lights came on, the drummer came to the front of the stage to handout his sticks. Completely ignoring my stretched out arms, he handed one to the pretty girl standing next to me. All was not lost though. My partner in crime asked the sound man for his copy of the set list so we didn't walk away empty-handed.

I don't know how many more opportunities we'll have to see some of these legends play so we grab them while we can. It was an amazing evening I won't soon forget.

That's fantastic!

I saw him just a couple years ago here in Knoxville. Unfortunately, he'd (evidently) had not toured for a number of years and instead of thinking "hmm... these people might like a blast from the past" he must of thought "I need to get them to buy my new material so that's most of what I'll play for them"

Upshot, I was greatly let down. I think the rest of the crowd was too. About the only thing of his "old" stuff was a medley they did. Now, had they done the SAME songs in whole, I think the entire concert would have been different.

Now I need to look it up & see if he's coming around again.

So, regarding the sticks he handed out to the pretty girl standing next to you... I surmise that was not your partner in crime that flew in for the event? [:#]

I saw him just a couple years ago here in Knoxville. Unfortunately, he'd (evidently) had not toured for a number of years and instead of thinking "hmm... these people might like a blast from the past" he must of thought "I need to get them to buy my new material so that's most of what I'll play for them"

Upshot, I was greatly let down. I think the rest of the crowd was too. About the only thing of his "old" stuff was a medley they did. Now, had they done the SAME songs in whole, I think the entire concert would have been different.

Ah, come on Richard!

(Just a bit of perspective...and assorted rambling...)

Tull has been touring for FAR too many years, with over 25 albums of original material!

And after playing the same "old stuff" for over ten years straight without a break you might expect them to desire to play the newer stuff, not only because they had become rather sick of the old stuff, but also because Anderson always found the raucous US crowds yelling through the songs rather obnoxious (hence the intro to Thick As A Brick, written as a challenge to the crowd, ("Really don't mind if you sit this one out..."), was just that! All while the crowd yells through the acoustic intros all wanting the rock. (D@mn I hate how folks whoop and holler during shows instead of shutting up and listening to the material.) And for that matter, far too many STILL don't get the immense joke that Thick as a Brick was!

And who remembers the idiocy of Steve Simels? "... After all,...,it's only... Solitaire..."

I am guessing that you are still listening to InAGaddaDaVida and Whole Lotta Love at least 4 times each, everyday...right??????? (If so, that may explain allot!)[:P] You really can't fault them for getting just abit burned out on it as well, despite someone who listens to them once every 3 years and who thinks they have all been dead for 20 years wanting to hear it! Oh, and to borrow a phrase..."Which one is Jethro? Isn't he the guy who plays flute?...." [*-)] But in fairness, I also understand what you mean...

And especially as Dave Pegg and Mattocks (both previouslymembers of a liitle band called Fairport Convention) had in part composed the 'new stuff' over a 20 or so year period. That 'new stuff' was their stuff! So, they were they to have forgone with their stuff just to play old stuff as if they were a cover band? Heck, back in the day in the early 70's it was rare to hear them play any of the older Mick Abraham's period stuff of the first three albums - even after Glenn Cornick split to form Wild Turkey (one HECK of a live band!)! (And, ironically,we had the same lament 35 years ago as I love the first 3 albums!!!)[:P]

Is this their fault/shortcoming, or that of an audience often completely ignorant of their entire catalog and who too often only think of them as a retro act?

And yes, the original Aqualung (ONLY the song, not the album) featured Ian solely on acoustic guitar, while Martin Barre (one of the best and most overlooked rock guitarists) handled all of the electric chores. For the reworked Aqualung, you might want to check out the new (2006) Aqualung Live CD.

And Anderson's flute playing is better than it has ever been.

A truly AMAZING band...in all of its incarnations. {Well, okay, with the exception of Eddie Jobson! (Edit: did I really say 'Steve", geesh!) That was a bit strange!! Eno sitting in with Goose Creek Symphony comes to mind...)

"...hence the intro to Thick As A Brick, written as a challenge to the crowd, ("Really don't mind if you sit this one out..."), was just that! All while the crowd yells through the acoustic intros all wanting the rock. (D@mn I hate how folks whoop and holler during shows instead of shutting up and listening to the material.) And for that matter, far too many STILL don't get the immense joke that Thick as a Brick was!"

Cool info, I didn't know any of that -- but it sure helps make sense out of some of the words!

MAS, interesting tidbits...

Might I entice you to tell us more of what you know?

(and though I WAS let down by the concert, it was also in part the venue which isn't the best here in town... I was aware of them probably not being too excited about playing 'insert song of yesterdecade' for the billionth time... still didn't help my mood that night [:S])

I am not as familiar with their material as say, Moody Blues. As such, I REALLY wish they'd NOT sing Nights in White Satin during their shows anymore. They have got to be more sick of it than I am. I've seen them in concert probably 25 times and dangit, I'd love to hear some of their OTHER material that just seems to be ignored. So, it is with that parallel I understand (and begrugingly agree).

I'm a HUGE TAAB fan. Probably in my top 5 favorite rock LPs of all-time. Listened to the LP a thousand times or more over the years. We sat around reading that newspaper (and doing other things I can't mention) back in the early/mid 70s. Loved the "non-rabbit" and the shopping boots lined with non-rabbit fur." Very clever stuff. I was really happy they played it, even with the vocal issues Ian was having. He made a comment regarding the "true author" of the song beforehand. Most of the folks in the crowd got it I think. It was a very well-behaved crowd but then again, we were in the expensive seats with a speaker directly in front of us so we couldn't hear much else.

BTW - Only one new song was played (to the delight of the crowd).

Awesome Gary, last time I saw Ian and the boys was 1978 in Germany. The "Songs from the Woods" tour[;)]

I too have TAAB in my top 10 of all times. Glad you enjoyed the show and had such awesome seats[:D] Speaking of subdued crowds I'm reminded of his "A Little Light Music" CD which is a tour recording at multiple venues but the crowds all sound old like me[:o]

I'm also very partial to the double lp "Live, Bursting Out"

Jethro Tull played Victoria last summer, with very little advertising. I only learned of it the following week, reading the rave review of their sold-out show at the best local concert hall. I'd seen them in Toronto in 1978 and would have liked to catch this year's show.

"Thick as a Brick" was a major disappointment to me, expected better than that, all the hype !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the hype? The Passion Play tour, maybe...

But the Thick as a Brick tour was the first time (and opportunity) for MOST Americans to even see them.

The American tour began before the album was even released in the US, unless you managed to pick up the UK import version (which was released some time prior to the American version and release - and it was substantially different), and in fact, most audiences were very much expecting to hear Aqualung!... And Wild Turkey kicked rear live! I only wish their albums reflected what you heard live!

...And Jeffrey (ah, Jeffrey) with his green striped suit (and matching upright) and John teetering about atop the grand (with the quipies rushing about like a Keystone Cops fire brigade with a net - He NEVER fell!) What a show!

"It's for YOU..."

Nice. Front row no less! Would love to see him again. Saw Jethro Tull in 1977 at Arrowhead Stadium in KC. Not so good acoustics, but a helluva show. It was Rory Gallagher, Todd Rundgren, Robin Trower...and Jethro Tull. This was the first time I had ever seen a "jumbotron" type screen. They had it above the bandstand and called it Tullevision!

• Like 1

• Moderators

"All the hype? The Passion Play tour, maybe...

But the Thick as a Brick tour was the first time (and opportunity) for MOST Americans to even see them. "

Why would that be? They did full US tours in 69, 70 and 71. In '69 they played with bands like Spirt, Mountain, even Led Zeppelin when they both backed up Vanilla Fudge. Living in the Past was actually recorded in the US (Orange, New Jersey) while they were on tour. By '71 Tull was the headliner, with Yes playing backup, and they were filling venues like the LA Forum.

There was plenty of opportunity for people to see Tull long before '72.

Travis

Saw them in '74 (or was it '75?). War Child tour. Third row center, when festival seating was still prevalent. Much from the tour album, and lots of other stuff worked in. Costumes and gags through the entire show. Of course, he was much more physical then.

As a side note: They had a perfect opening act for them. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Living in the Past was primarily a compilation, the primary songs being those recorded earlier that just didn't fit into the then existing studio projects, and certainly not a coherant studio project. It was released only about 3 months after Passion Play while the band was touring in support of Passion Play as they had to tour to support all of the carrots for the Hare who lost his spec-a-ta-cles

Despite some exposure prior to the fall of 1971, the spring '72 Thick as a Brick tour was the first large venue oriented tour that crisscrossed the heartland of the US and featured the larger venues.

.Prior to this the shows were primarily smaller venues (and LOTS of roller rinks!) primarily on the coasts (Boston, NYC, Seattle, Pasadena), in addition to Detroit and Chicago (quite a few shows with Blood, Sweat and Tears.). It wasn't until the The Thick as Brick tour, that a pattern contiunued for several years of playing the large university arenas and cites in a more diverse and widely distributed market.

1970 saw shows on the West coast (read California) and NYC, with a few scattered in AZ, TX, St. Louis, a few in Detroit and a few more on the East Coast, primarily in NYC. And more shows were spent primarily with folks like John Sebastian, Ballin' Jack, Clouds, Mott the Hoople and Lee Michaels.

1971 in the US was spent primarily on the East Coast and in California until Clive Bunker split. And again, the majority of shows were being performed in odd markets dominated by the inevitable Roller Rinks! The summer of '71 had a stint of shows with Yes and still more roller rinks with a smattering of a few larger venues mostly in the fall of '71 with a few more Civic Colliseums and University fieldhouses as I guess the Roller Rinks must have been booked with birthday parties.

Up to this point, production was a very limited affair,

April '72 began the beginning of the US Thick as a Brick Tour, and FINALLY the tour was dominated by University fieldhouses and Civic Coliseums with support from Gentle Giant, (lots of)Wild Turkey - Glen Cornick's band, the Eagles, Brewer & Shipley, and others often opening. And except for a quick diversion in Australia and Japan during the summer, the fall continued more of the same in the US dominated by University fieldhouse and Civic Coliseum dates.

This was the first tour where Tull became a rather self-contained production with Chris Amson heading up the FOH chores with a bit of help...(and promptly developing laryngitus and promptly losing his voice) and Chris Michie coming over fresh off doing the Procol Harum Broken Barricades sessions, along with some of the quipies from Pink Floyd (and they ran about listening to cassettes of Meddle (pronounced "MEE del", NOT Meddle as in metal!). This trend increased untile the Passion Play tour where two complete rigs were fronted, allowing for a leap frogging of production rigs. (And I will refrain from discussing the hilarious situation with hotel {can we get a shower?) bookings, of which at least 2/3 were never used!! }

And it really wasn't until '73 that Tull really came unto there own on the touring front, and it was with the Passion Play Tour that the crowds and chaos became the rule. Robin Trower (a great show) and Brewer & Shipley opened for many of the 73 shows.

The fact is, Tull did not just shoot out of the cannon an arena band! And their US exposure was much more limited than some seem to believe, playing primarily small venues and a (comparably) limited schedule of US dates prior to the last months of fall '71. Their European touring schedule beginning early on in their career (and continuing thereafter) was much more substantial, albeit hampered by Mick Abraham's early 'travel issues'. And they were definately a visually oriented show long before video became the rule.