smilin

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Right. I understand you don't hear it. And then it remains as to why?"

After living with the set up for a while the answer is because it's not there. There's no grain, hash, haze or glare -- none of the things I used to hear with solid state.

or maybe you just can't hear that kind of stuff in your old age (ear wise)

Interesting thread , some mild sparks here and there . I am suprised that no one has asked smillin THE QUESTION .

Soo , how much for the smillinwalls ?!

Doesn't smillin have Dean's Khorns also? No wonder he's out of corners.

So, I was suggesting they probably had the marketing department in on the design of it to more of a degree than they had the marketing department involved in the Khorn, LaScala or Jubilee (in their respective beginnings).

The marketing department had exactly zero say in the design of the Palladium line. All the development that went into it came from the engineering center downstairs (Industrial Design, Mechanical Design, Acoustic Engineering, etc).

Then the P39 would be 9 million feet tall and 9 million feet wide [:P], I see marketing department not as a bad thing all the times, they help keep the mad engineers from going absolutely crazy!

The Jubilee, of course, has that Heritage sound.

No it doesn't! The "Heritage sound" is a honky colored midrange and a raspy tweeter!

Deano,

Good point. How many think that Jubilee has that Heritage sound? I for one, think that it does not.

..........The "Heritage sound" is a honky colored midrange and a raspy tweeter!........ However, I will not go there!

tc

When I went to the Indy Pilgrimage, being a never before listener of heritage speakers I must say. The Jubilee were excellent at producing exact copies of what is recorded. I had a music cd that I played on the Jubilee (both) and it sounded awful. Trey warned me about putting mp3 in them but trust me, I actually brought the cd and made copies (who wants to bring the original on vacation and have them broken) but since its an exact copy there should be no derivation unless you want to go into psychoacoustics and whatnot about different cds and black magic). BTW the cd was The Killers - Hot Fuss Limited Edition. The sound sounded like it was compressed and horribly mastered.

I played the same cd on the 60th edition Klipschorns (the one speakerfritz owns) guess what, much improved as it sounded like it should sound like being warm and uncompressed (I guess hiding the compression), different from the Jubilee but direct and different but not worse.

The Cornwall, I believe the room played a big part as All I could hear was upper midrange and treble...... not much help

Listening to the LaScala at IndyKlipschFan made a mind altering experience of what I thought of lascalas. Effortless sound and dynamics of whoa.

Listening to Colter's Cornwalls made a huge impression, the cornwalls are more to my liking as they sound closer to reference series then lascala and klipschorn and jubilee. It gives me that bass punch that the lf horns cannot do to me. I know flame me now.....

Listening to Colters Klipschorns made an impression, they sounded a bit different from the 60th but close. I liked them but all colter had was jazz so I couldn't evaluate throughly.

The RF-83 I knew what they sound like but they sounded remarkably different in a large room.

I guess the problem is that each room is different. The Jubilees did not sound to me like heritage also but this again was different location, time, and mood (yes I will admit that my mood drastically alters how I perceive things) But I ask myself if I were to group the jubilee, I would have to say heritage due to the large horns I guess?

I was kidding!

I'm sure what you're saying has a lot to do with it. Holding a slice of pizza and glass of beer up in front of your face will also compound the problem. Honestly, I think source material plays a big role too. I don't know about Richard, but I don't listen to Jazz, Classical, or female vocalists -- I do Rock-n-Roll and DVD movies and concerts. I truly believe my source material minimizes the differences between gear (to a point).

Most of my music is modern, pop, rock, indie, rap, etc. I do have Jazz and classical and female vocalist but to a limited degree.

Also I use SS and my computer many a time for convenance, I find it hard for myself (I guess my generation, damn you iPod and the shuffle feature) to put on cd in and listen from front to back without skipping songs, fast forwarding, getting bored..... Half the time I try to critically evaluate music or the speakers, I lose myself in something else and it becomes background music, then when the song ends I go oh wait, I totally missed the song, hit back and do it all over again. To be honest the best time I remember a song is the minutes right before I fall asleep or the minutes in the morning that I wake up (gasp radio alarm clock!)

Most of my music is modern, pop, rock, indie, rap, etc. I do have Jazz and classical and female vocalist but to a limited degree.

Also I use SS and my computer many a time for convenance, I find it hard for myself (I guess my generation, *** you iPod and the shuffle feature) to put on cd in and listen from front to back without skipping songs, fast forwarding, getting bored..... Half the time I try to critically evaluate music or the speakers, I lose myself in something else and it becomes background music, then when the song ends I go oh wait, I totally missed the song, hit back and do it all over again. To be honest the best time I remember a song is the minutes right before I fall asleep or the minutes in the morning that I wake up (gasp radio alarm clock!)

I missed this very interesting post! I think I get it. And, I think this is a crucial point of understanding regarding the difference between us old farts and the 20-somethings.

Here's my analogy: I can barely even watch TV anymore because the spinning, twisting, morphing, turning, strobing, splashing, jerking, wiggling, jiggling, zooming, video techniques used on everything gives me an enormous headache. It used to be that 15 cuts in a 30-second 'mercial was a lot. Now, I can't even count them - 30, 40 and more, not counting all the twisting and zooming. TV shows same way. The camera must always be moving, circling, zooming and unzooming with all that hand-held jiggling on purpose. This is because TV is designed for young minds. So, I can imagine that the idea of putting on a record, sitting back and listening intently for 30 minutes must sound insane to folks like Jay!

The worst offenders on TV are the NatGeo and the Science channel. They are not at all about science really, they just are an excuse to run the video-effects processor on full tilt for 30 minutes. All flash, no content whatsoever. They can't even do a 10-second interview with a human without twisting and jerking and zooming the camera five or six times while the guy gives his (meaningless) 10-second answer.

So, I would guess this has a big impact on music too.

ahem....it's old audiopharts....

in Christ, because of Gods' grace,

roy

Also I use SS and my computer many a time for convenance, I find it hard for myself (I guess my generation, *** you iPod and the shuffle feature) to put on cd in and listen from front to back without skipping songs, fast forwarding, getting bored..... Half the time I try to critically evaluate music or the speakers, I lose myself in something else and it becomes background music, then when the song ends I go oh wait, I totally missed the song, hit back and do it all over again. To be honest the best time I remember a song is the minutes right before I fall asleep or the minutes in the morning that I wake up (gasp radio alarm clock!)

Sounds like you need to get out of the multi-tasking mindset. If you're trying to focus on several things, you're "focussing" on nothing. If the music is music you really like, it should hold your full attention. I have music on all day, but my real listening is usually late in the evening, after the TV is turned off. Then I have nothing else on my mind and can focus on what the musicians were trying to do. Dimming the lights helps, too.

It's easy to get wrapped up in the hardware and forget that music is about moods and feelings. To really absorb what's in the recordings, you have to be in a receptive state of mind, with mental and physical distractions put out of the way. This is not just important for listening to music, it's important for your mental health. Whether to listen to music, or just to enjoy the silence, sometimes the hamster really needs to get out of the wheel.

Ok...lets remember we are all Klipsch lovers here...I am a young 20-something and know what Jay is talking about with getting busy and not being able to sit back and relax to intently listen to music...in college it was usually because I had just gotten back from class and had to get ready for a group meeting and then after than come home and do homework...after that was all done we (my roommates and I who had very different taste in music and entertainment) would be first come first serve at the tv/stereo system (even though all the components were mine) And now that I am out of college it can be even more hectic to spend time listening to music when I am at work for 11 hours enginearding and when i get home it's time to workout, eat, and sleep. You have to work hard to make good money to start to think about family and then audio gear...if I get to listen to one lp (cd or vinyl) a night I am lucky.

For what it is worth I would buy the jubs for $7k powered by dual XTI 1000 with all the time corrections and eq built in ($400*2), make two diy tcsounds 5400 subs for $2500 power them with a XTI 4000 for $900, running from Marks Blueberry (~$2000 or thereabouts) and spend $800 on room treatments...add whatever existing source material you have (plug in your iPod to the 1/8" jack running into the blueberry perhaps?) and enjoy. Because for ~$14000 you have a system that it would be crystal clear, dynamic, coherent, and most of all enjoyable and be very very difficult to look down on...except the rest of us haters on the klipsh forum [:P]

You have to work hard to make good money to start to think about family and then audio gear...if I get to listen to one lp (cd or vinyl) a night I am lucky.

There ya go! Try to be lucky every day. Don't you deserve one LP or CD's worth of time to yourself? If you work your *** off every day, what are you going to sit on?

So, I was suggesting they probably had the marketing department in on the design of it to more of a degree than they had the marketing department involved in the Khorn, LaScala or Jubilee (in their respective beginnings).

The marketing department had exactly zero say in the design of the Palladium line. All the development that went into it came from the engineering center downstairs (Industrial Design, Mechanical Design, Acoustic Engineering, etc).

And a little help from BMW, which is probably why it's so purty.

"Having worked in conjunction with BMW Group DesignworksUSA—a global design consultancy that has done projects for BMW Group vehicles as well as other premium brands—Klipsch was able to make the P-39F a truly unique and elite statement piece. "

I agree...I get more joy out of three hours of Muay Thai than I get out of any speaker. My mom has 1962 KHorns, I own a new RF/RC/RW system, I like it better than my Heresy II's, regardless a speaker system to faithfully reproduce movie and music soundtracks, which it does. full stop. It neither fulfills my ego nor provides me with pride, it is a tool, one which I use to play music and movies in a good fashion. In my 12 x 8 sound room, my current system is quite adequate. The P39 ads and the old Khorn adds had an eliteist appeal. Personally I'd rather get a new pair of boxing gloves or wrestling shoes, I get more use out of them.

For those who buy the P39, congradulations, enjoy. I hope you get years of joy out of them, just as my mom has with her KHorns, and the 22 years I got out of my Heresy II's. I now have the RF-52's/RC-52/RW-10D, I hope to never have to buy another speaker system again. I will be mad if I do, these should last me another 20+ years at least. The Heresy II's will be with me until I die, just because

The center channel, sub woofer, front channel idea is supported by my receiver and is really quite good, but no where near as much fun as a few rounds in the octagon or 10 rounds on the bag and focus mitt work.

To each their own...

For what it is worth I would buy the jubs for $7k powered by dual XTI 1000 with all the time corrections and eq built in ($400*2), make two diy tcsounds 5400 subs for $2500 power them with a XTI 4000 for $900, running from Marks Blueberry (~$2000 or thereabouts) and spend $800 on room treatments...add whatever existing source material you have (plug in your iPod to the 1/8" jack running into the blueberry perhaps?) and enjoy. Because for ~$14000 you have a system that it would be crystal clear, dynamic, coherent, and most of all enjoyable and be very very difficult to look down on...except the rest of us haters on the klipsh forum Stick out tongue

I think that using the "for the money you can get..." argument is missing the point. If someone wants to spend $15K on a pair of speakers because they like them they will spend that much. Especially when you get into that range. If someone hears them, likes what they hear and can afford it, they will buy them. The same argument can be said for $7K on jubilees (you can get a pair of heresys and a subwoofer plus a CD...).

Someone mentioned BMW in this thread. Nobody should buy one, you can get a Hyundai for much less and they are nice cars.

Mark,

I don't think that it is that much of an age thing (skipping songs). At least in my experience, when I was in my 20's (or even a teenager) I used to listed to entire albums. Lately, when I am stressed, I cannot listen for long. When I am relaxed I can listen for hours, and have been lately.