New to Forum --- need sound advice

AltmanEars

I did just such an thing not long ago with a sony boom box that I use in the garage for a person wanting to check the drivers on a pair a cornwalls. The Cornwalls powered by this boom box sounded absolutely horrible..... but using the supplied speakers with the boom box it was listenable while wood working in my garage. With the Cornwalls I'd rather listen to my table saw...... 

Is your table saw direct or belt drive?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was first responder and I recommended K'horns

Yes you did.

As a side note, he ALSO specified that snip "I intend to order a new pair" snip at which point for the money spent on a new pair of Khorns, someone can easily afford a pair of Pluglies and get an improvement in sound. (much as some evidently don't want to believe)

So to me, the rhetorical question is (not speaking directly to you Dave), should this person (anyone) who has that intent because of the historical threshold of sound the Khorn carries, be informed that for the same (or perhaps less) money he can go even better? Or is the service done to allow that person out of ignornace (as defined simply as not knowing) continue on, only to later find out about what he "could" have done and perhaps regret his chosen path?

My feeling is, that person (in this case AltmanEars) should be informed of what all the choices REALLY are and then let him make his own decision. Truth be told, it's no skin off my (or anyones) nose if he choses Khorns, Jubilees or Bose right? The main issue is simply INFORMING him of his options and let him make his own educated decision.

It's not rocket science and it's very interesting how the 'heard-nots' maintain their voiciferous points of view against something that PWK clearly chose to improve on (the Khorn) and ultimately, must have felt he did by virtue of having it (Jubilee) built.

It's now been shown that the bass cabinet CAN be had in something other than industrial black, all a function of money. Once Travis gets his and we float some pictures around, the 'heard-nots' won't have quite as much ammunition to blow on the asthetics. Once that happens, I wonder what they will replace that issue with?

It's now been shown that the bass cabinet CAN be had in something other than industrial black, all a function of money. Once Travis gets his and we float some pictures around, the 'heard-nots' won't have quite as much ammunition to blow on the asthetics. Once that happens, I wonder what they will replace that issue with?

What powers them best, Push-Pull or SET's ? .......You asked ..... Rich, you know me well enough, I'm not picking a fight, you Jubilee owners are very Lucky Men, but not everyone is in that position to own such speakers, but you have started to take on an elitist tone to this subject, maybe you don't realize that, so I write this now ............ Sorry, I don't mean to make anyone mad, it's just the way I see it, and I'm not alone on this point. I'm just the guy telling you .............. If that makes oldbuckster a bad guy, so be it ..... There I said my piece, and now I'm gone .....

Once that happens, I wonder what they will replace that issue with?

How about the issue of how obnoxious people become once they own a pair of Jubiliees?[:)]

As far as "heard nots", there were several "heards" with pretty average reviews of the jubs at the last Pilgrimage. But of course the room was bad or the crowd noise was too loud or something. No arguing that everybody who has bought them and many who've heard them certainly have given them rave reviews.

But watching you continually harp about how no other speaker comes close is getting vomit enducing. You need to step back and take a hold of yourself. How does your life change when someone buys a pair of Jubs? Why do you care so much? It's the only thing you ever post about. Dude you "hover" on the boards just waiting for your next chance to insert a Jubilee post. It's funny and it's sad. Get a grip, if the whole world doesn't want your speakers, you will be ok.

I thought there was a separate forum just for Jub owners? You must be superbad there!

How about the issue of how obnoxious people become once they own a pair of Jubiliees?Smile

As far as "heard nots", there were several "heards" with pretty average reviews of the jubs at the last Pilgrimage. But of course the room was bad or the crowd noise was too loud or something. No arguing that everybody who has bought them and many who've heard them certainly have given them rave reviews.

But watching you continually harp about how no other speaker comes close is getting vomit enducing. You need to step back and take a hold of yourself. How does your life change when someone buys a pair of Jubs? Why do you care so much? It's the only thing you ever post about. Dude you "hover" on the boards just waiting for your next chance to insert a Jubilee post. It's funny and it's sad. Get a grip, if the whole world doesn't want your speakers, you will be ok.

I thought there was a separate forum just for Jub owners? You must be superbad there!

Go Scott Go, that's telling him. That pretty much the way I read it as well, jubs, jubs, and more jubs; or nothing at all. Frankly I am sick and tired of reading about them, go tell it to someone who cares.

Jay

As much as I hate to step into this, there is a distinction that should be made.

I've not heard jubs, nor many outstanding speakers, but I am also in no big rush to do so.

K'horns deliver accurate sound by my definition. That is, the material I've personally recorded in the field is reproduced with no significant change that I can track to the speaker.

That said, we come to the issue of "taste." With their K'horns, or whatever, some prefer tubes and some prefer the clinical sound of ss, or the in between of digital. In my case, I like the latter two but haven't ever heard an SS at any price I really feel in love with. This, and the many other variables of human preception, define the "audiophile."

Mr. Ears has not declared whether it's the music or the equipment he wants to listen to, or whether he lies somewhere in between. The "right" equipment for him depends upon this issue. As to philosophy, there is no right or wrong. There are those analytical listeners who can turn it off for a great musical performance from a boombox, and there are those music-oriented listeners who can engage their analytical side to compare DACs.

However, this whole rancor about jubs vs. k'horns is a crock. The advent of the Jubilee did not relegate the Klipschorn to the scrap heap of history and make it suddenly non-conform to the Six Cardinal Rules. I'd place this debate in the same category as the Roman vs. Orthodox catfight over which direction to cross ones self.

We are all Klipsch here. Let's keep our rifles pointed in the right direction.

Regards,

Dave

How about the issue of how obnoxious people become once they own a pair of Jubiliees?Smile

Scott - You are a superbad dude!! LMAO.

Interesting some of my other comments are ignored, such as

snip "If you like & want Khorns and buy them new, you are to be patted on the back! " snip

If anyone has any issues with my comments, that's fine by me. Though they are not intended to be/sound rude to any forum member (or anyone else for that matter and I apologize to the degree they ARE offensive to someone (excluding Buckster [6])) I won't simply shut up while someone who might not know any better comes here stating their desire for large (Khorns), new (expensive) speakers and not let them be aware of the full menu from which they have to choose.

Your (speaking generally and not at anyone specific) inability to believe that PWK might have just bested his prior efforts is not my problem.

There have been a handful of people who have come here looking to get a large format system and have decided the Jubilee WAS the right choice for them. Who am I, or who are you, to decide that they do not deserve to know about the choice?

As there (admittedly slowly) becomes more Jubilee owners, you can take some comfort in that I won't need to say anything as often... then again, there is always the other possiblity that you will have MORE people saying something in my place! [;)]

It's interesting to me, the corner the 'heard-nots' are painting themselves into. Once one of you (again, speaking generically) hear them, presuming you are doing so with an open mind, you're almost forced to STILL find something wrong with them, lest you have to admit that not only had you been wrong all along, but (gasp) perhaps some others, myself included might have been right!

Richard,

I agree anyone buying new Klipsch speakers is doing a great deed (especially to those cheap bastards among us...I wear that badge proudly). It keeps Amy employed and these forums going!

I'm afriad I did once suggest that and unfortunately, there exists no Jubilee Owners forum...

Be nice if there was though because then we could simply focus on tidbits of maximizing our systems without some of the extraneous fluff offered by some.

[;)]

• Moderators

I heard the jubilee's 2 times, after I heard them in Indy I thought they sound good, and was not thrilled.

And if anyone would be honest, it's hard to compare something from memory unless there is a big difference, and there is still always a doubt.

The second time I heard them it was a smaller room, not a ballroom like the first time. Also In Indy at the pilgrimage the jubs were on "make do" crossovers, and the second listening it was active crossovers.

When I listened the second time I was able to compare them with the Khorn at the same time, same equipment, just flip a switch.

To me this had nothing to do with how good the Khorn was, that has already been decided by anybody who has heard them set up correctly, it was more to do with is there an real improvement in the new model Khorn Jub.

To me there was a big difference, did it make the Khorn less, of course not. I still think it's one of the best I have ever heard, and to me they have a great classic look.

If I were looking for New speakers and could afford either I would be a little upset if I were not given all options for me to go listen to.

As far as any one's attitudes who own jubs, what it seems like to me is, like any worthwhile upgrade or modification they seem to tell everyone, anytime the chance comes up. You see it with any of the switching from any model to another.

It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what sounds good to you. There are many who would say my xxx speakers are perfect considering my size requirements and what kind of sound I like.

Myself I like all of the Heritage, I could be happy with any of them.

As far as what amps are being used on jubs, what is common for now is what is the cheapest way to get a good base to start. Some are already trying different combinations, oh what a surprise, people here experimenting with different components.[*-)]

Will the Palladiums if they sound unbelieavable cause this many problems when compared to the Khorn ?

The loyalty for the other speakers is great, new models don't degrade the older models, they still sound as they always did !

Seems simple to me, get the best you can afford, and fit's your needs.

• Moderators

Richard,

I agree anyone buying new Klipsch speakers is doing a great deed (especially to those cheap bastards among us...I wear that badge proudly). It keeps Amy employed and these forums going!

Fini, I definitely fit in that group, not always by choice either, (cheap).

And this forum has given so many people good information it unbelievable, without all the employees, who seem to be more dedicated than any company I have ever worked for, Klipsch would have a much harder time !

1. The room is 16 x 28 x 9 but I cant place the speakers in the reccommended long wall corners but in the 16 ft corners, would this really reduce the sound quality to the point that I should consider other speakers?

Klipschorns are out unless you build false corners. I had mine on the 14ft wall and I eventually built false corners so I could toe them out into the room. That leaves Jubilees at around $8K and Palladiums for around $15K. If you custom order the Jubilees with veneer and grills, they might end up costing as much as the Palladiums. I like the sound of the big horn and 2" compression driver, but I haven't heard the Palladium so I'm not much help there. If you go Jubilee, you don't have to run pro gear -- since you have the money you can go upscale and use a DEQX PDC 2.6P and your choice of amps.

3. I love the idea of the HE low powered system, which is why I'm looking at the KHorns. I intend to order a new pair --- if I dont like them I'll sell them through audiogon, could anyone venture a guess at what a barely used pr of KHORN would sell for used...? In other words if my plans go pear shaped what would the pain be???

You'll take a major beating. You might get $4200, maybe.

I'm with Craig here -- Klipschorns and VRDs would sound better than Jubilees and an iPod.:) I agree with him too about what happens when you increase the resolving power of the speaker: Good recordings sound even better, bad recordings sound even worse. If you listen mostly to bad recordings -- don't buy Jubilees. 75% of their use in my home is for DVD movies and concerts.

>Klipschorns are out unless you build false corners.

What? I haven't triangulated this, but even if he had corners on the 28 ft wall I don't think he'd be able to get back far enough for decent imaging. The 16 ft. wall will be fine. If he needs some treatment or freestanding baffles or something he appears to have the budget to support that.

Dave

• Moderators

WOW ,....AltmanEars, your sure getting your nickles worth on this forum ! [;)]

Can't say they aren't passionate about audio here ! It's all for the best in the long run.

Stick around, it gets slow sometimes, but you can see how to fire it up. [:D]

after I heard them in Indy I thought they sound good, and was not thrilled.

That sums it up for me, too. I don't know why they didn't sound as good as I expected in the party room at the HIExpress, but they didn't. Even the tried-and-true K-horn needs good associated equipment, so I'm guessing the problem was what was played through them. Jury is still out IMO.

Go Scott Go, that's telling him. That pretty much the way I read it as well, jubs, jubs, and more jubs; or nothing at all. Frankly I am sick and tired of reading about them, go tell it to someone who cares.

Jay

Jay

LMFAO

Good comic releif from a crappy week at work.

...and the whole world thinks the Belle mid horn stinks, I shoulder the burden of sonically deficient Belles pretty well...like listening to Simon and Garfunkel right now....

I'm Jubilee neutral. Never been involved in any Jub discussions. I just thought Scott's post was funny.

I am nuetral as well. The points that struck me as odd are the same as before due to my 25 years in sales and marketting.

1. No formal data sheet on the website like other Klipsch (that i have seen).

2. Pick your horn?

3. Figure out your own crossover ?

( Never liked al la carte menus)

It is a company accomadation of the Klipsch enthusiast that I will never see in a brick and mortar audio store.

I don't know why they didn't sound as good as I expected in the party room at the HIExpress, but they didn't.

Anyone remember the lascalas with I think VRD's 2 years prior? It was horrid and should be blamed entirely on the room. I was absolutely convinced of that fact after helping set up the sound system for the Q&A session the next day since I was familiar with all the equipment being used...a bad room can bring anything to its knees.