Tom half-time Petty

oldbuckster

Had to look it up, I rarely listen to FM any more and it was lost in my WOM (Write Only Memory)

-------------------------

An interesting example of airplay censorship is Tom Petty's "You Don't Know How it Feels". The censored line is "Let's roll another joint". In the radio version the word joint is kept, but the line is changed to "Let's hit another joint". Therefore, instead of smoking marijuana, the song's couple are traveling to bars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_music

My dad and I looked at each other trying to get involved in the half time show. As much as I enjoy Tom Petty and crew, he just wasn't providing. I kept waiting for some energy to appear and it didn't happen. O well, maybe next year they'll invite Janet Jackson back sans Timberlake. Blaim the woman while the guy gets off scott free. [:P]

I thought Tom Petty and the band looked and sounded great. No BS, just a nice straight ahead set. I really doubt that it was lip synced.

Shame on the NFL if they make the entertainment lip sync or even allow them to. They can always delay the brooadcast a few seconds if they're afraid of future wardrobe malfunctions or other crap.

I thought it was refreshing for a change to just have a band come out and play a nice set without all the excess of years past.

They can always delay the brooadcast a few seconds if they're afraid of future wardrobe malfunctions or other crap.

That reminds me - did anyone else hear Bradshaw's F-bomb about an hour before the game when Howie was putting on the hat?

I can't believe the bad vibes about TOM PETTY .... He was good, Prince was good, The Stones could have been better, Sir Paul, I left the room .... What's the real problem with Tom ? 4 Songs, no audio trouble that I could hear, great Mike Campbell guitar parts, it was good ..... What more do people want ?

I may be overstating this a bit, but Petty saved Rock 'n Roll for me back in the seventies. I had become a bit of a jazz snob, couldn't get into the three-chord stuff anymore. But Petty's You're Gonna Get It! really got to me. Lots of crisp, entertaining three-minute songs, great attitude, great feel!

I saw him live at a small theater in Louisville, Kentucky in the Fall of 1978 and he tore the place up. I personally think that time was a high point of his career. So I've got a soft spot for Petty and the jangly Rickenbacker sound. I think anyone who says that Super Bowl show was lip-synched is clueless (IMHO most people in broadcasting are). All you have to do is watch Mike Campbell's guitar playing and it's obvious that it was live. The show sounded like the 30th Anniversary show in Gainsville. That's what they sound like live, and they still sound damned good--after all these years.

I don't buy a lot of concert DVDs, but if you liked the Super Bowl show get yourself a copy of the career-retrospective DVD Runnin Down the Dream. It's an excellent film!

I may be overstating this a bit, but Petty saved Rock 'n Roll for me back in the seventies. I had become a bit of a jazz snob, couldn't get into the three-chord stuff anymore. But Petty's You're Gonna Get It! really got to me. Lots of crisp, entertaining three-minute songs, great attitude, great feel!

I saw him live at a small theater in Louisville, Kentucky in the Fall of 1978 and he tore the place up. I personally think that time was a high point of his career. So I've got a soft spot for Petty and the jangly Rickenbacker sound. I think anyone who says that Super Bowl show was lip-synched is clueless (IMHO most people in broadcasting are). All you have to do is watch Mike Campbell's guitar playing and it's obvious that it was live. The show sounded like the 30th Anniversary show in Gainsville. That's what they sound like live, and they still sound damned good--after all these years.

I don't buy a lot of concert DVDs, but if you liked the Super Bowl show get yourself a copy of the career-retrospective DVD Runnin Down the Dream. It's an excellent film!

If it did it for you then you aren't overstating. He definitely brought back a lot of the roots of rock that were being strayed from by the majority at the time.