Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Dang PM! You left 4 times that many behind? Nice score!

Just 3 CDs here from the local Goodwill

Enya - A Day Without Rain

• my 2nd Enya disc, the other is a greatest hits compilation that I don't think I've listened to yet, I hope I like Enya or it may go to the mother out law

Canadian Brass - Noel

• With James Galway, Richard Stoltman, Jerry Hadley, Harolyn Blackwood, Angel Romero, and The King's Singers
  • Couldn't resist this one with a budding daughter learning to play the baritone and trombone and I used to try to play the trumpet
George Winston - Forest
  • I find George Winston nice and relaxing, good to work to when I'm in a mello mood
BM - I might have some Bon Jovi CDs available cheap in the not too distant future....

Hey, Ron!

Visited the Salvation Army store today on Inwood in Dallas. Picked up a few LPs.

NEW JAZZ CONCEPTIONS

Bill Evans

Riverside

GOODBYE

Milt Jackson

CTI

JAZZ

Ry Cooder/Joseph Byrd

Reprise

THE CHARLIE BYRD CHRISTMAS ALBUM

Charlie Byrd

Concord

BRAZILIAN BYRD

Music of Carlos Jobim

Charlie Byrd

Columbia

NEW ORLEANS

Various Artists

Atlantic

JIM HALL/RED MITCHELL

Jim Hall, guitar and Red Mitchell, bass

Artistshouse

SOUND PROJECT

Joe Pass/Tommy Gumina Trio

Polytone

CHEWING PINE

Leo Kottke

Capitol

SVINGIN' WITH SVEND

David Grisman Quintet with Svend Asmussen

Zebra Acoustic

CHESTER & LESTER

Chet Atkins and Les Paul

RCA

EVERYBODY DIGS BILL EVANS

Bill Evans

Riverside

IRA, GEORGE, AND JOE

Joe Pass Loves Gershwin

Joe Pass

Pablo

WAVE

Antonio Carlos Jobim

A&M-CTI

GOD BLESS THE CHILD

Kenny Burrell

CTI

TIME IN

Dave Brubeck

Columbia

POETRY

Stan Getz & Albert Daily

Elektra Musicians

MIDNIGHT BLUE

Kenny Burrell

Blue Note

TRIO (Motian, Peacock), DUO (Hall)

Bill Evans

Verve

GETZ MEETS MULLIGAN IN HI-FI

Stan Getz & Gerry Mulligan

Verve

JAZZ SAMBA

Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd

Verve

JAZZ FUNERAL AT NEW ORLEANS

George Lewis

Olympic Records

THE "INTERPLAY" SESSIONS

Bill Evans with Freddie Hubbard and Zoot Sims

Milestone

STABAT MATER

Domenico Scarlatti

Soli, Monteverdi Choir & Continuo

John Eliot Gardiner

Erato

MONOTONES

Erik Satie

John Lanchbery

HMV Greensleeve - EMI

PIANO QUINTET (TROUT), SCHUBERT

EINE KLEINE NACHTMUSIK, MOZART

Guarneri Quartet

Emanuel Ax

RCA Red Seal

$2
each ( a few $1). All VG/VG+. Some with outer sleeves, most with
replacement inner liners (poly & paper). Many imports. Some
original editions.

Someone dumped one hell of a jazz collection. And I left four times this many behind.

I went back and got 46 more of them. I described them as VG/VG+, but that was mainly based on the jackets. Upon inspection, the discs themselves are all VG++/Mint, and the collection was heavy on jazz guitar.

Each jacket is coded with the date it was acquired. I thought it was an old price sticker, but the little orange stickers all say something like "2 83" or "6 79". All in all, a fantastic windfall, and very few duplicates of what I already have.

I'd play them in the order they were originally purchased and that way you could relive the original owner's experience as he journeyed through jazz. The last jazz collection I bought was from a woman in a nursing home.

You got to figure jazz bought new in about 1956, maybe at age 20 or 30 back then, and that was 50+ years ago, nursing home or even death is not unusual.

Your collection from 1970s 1980s but classic jazz from 1950s.

Ry Cooder "Jazz" is a favorite of mine artistically and technically.

Dave

Mine, too. I've always wondered how much better it could have been (or not) if Cooder and Joe Byrd had gotten along.

So far, of all this great stuff, the biggest surprise has been "Chester & Lester". A remarkable moment saved for posterity.

Another nice follow up score PM.

A couple of CDs from the Goodwill where my mother out law lives.

Various - Wedding Favories

• A few fun wedding recetion dance tunes that I wouldn't buy the whole CD for... along with Van Morrrison's "Brown Eyed Girl"

Dave Weld - The Imperial Flames Blues Band with special guest Lil' Ed Willimams - Rough Rockin' In Chicago

• looks like it could be fun

• 2 weeks later...
For my birthday(Dec 31), I went thrift store shopping with my sisters. At the 7th store we went in, I check out the electronic section and I noticed the chrome chassis from across the room. There sat a mc2125 and a mx-113. I quickly picked up the pre/tuner and put it on the 2125 amp, then picked up both pieces to take to the register. I only made it a couple steps (so heavy) then a guy there had a cart for me and took me up to the counter to write up my ticket..$24.94 for both pieces....they were marked with a grease pencil on the cabinet. Right next to this pair was a late 80's marantz cassette deck and matching rcvr. They were marked $29.95.....they looked newer then the macs...I passed on those....
Got them home...the volume knob on the 2125 just spins around, but turns on when plugged in with green lites. The meter lights also lite up OK. The mx-113 powers on OK, dial lite OK and tunes in stations OK. I did notice that it is missing the label plate for the push button functions on the front.
Can I order a volume knob for the 2125 and a label for the mx-113?? I have kidded my wife for years that I'm gonna bring home a huge McIntosh power amp I find at a thrift store......and it really happened... on my birthday!! When I know it is working correctly, I have a pair of Mirage M3 speakers to try with it. It's gonna take me a few days before I can check out both pieces.... I am still pinching myself. Once in awhile there are still gems out there.
I have since had both pieces serviced and am now looking for some great speakers to "Complete Me".

For my birthday(Dec 31), I went thrift store shopping with my sisters.

I've noticed a lot of thrift stores smell bad or even P U stink. One that I know makes me almost gag when I walk in. It smells sickeningly sweet like it's maybe a cleaner of some sort with kind of a dried, putrid bubblegum odor.

...and the thrift store staff look like they've escaped from some sort of institution. [:|]

Try going to Macy's or Von Mauer for a nice atmosphere but you won't find CD's, LP's or the great prices. The back "working" area of a Goodwill I saw one time had a mountain of clothing at least 8 feet tall and 20 feet around. It is where all the clothing gets piled up until processed. The restroom was quite clean unlike some newer restaurants and businesses I've visited.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night a few CDs from the local Good will

Varios -
Windham Hill Live

Steve Green -
People Need The Lord - 16 Favorite Songs Celebrating Ten Years Of Music Ministry
- This one for Dad's fiancee

Various -
Now 7
- a spare copy for the girls

Randy Stonehill -
Thirst
- I already have but for so cheap a copy to give to a friend or trade

Some LPs this morning at a local sorority thrift store

Ray Charles -
What'd I Say -
Atlantic 8029

Dave Brubeck Quartet -
Gone With The Wind
- Columbia CS8156

Martin Denny -
Quiet Village - The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny -
Liberty LST 7122 (the Living Stereo version as opposed to mono LRP 3122)

Smothers Brothers -
Think Ethnic -
Mercury
SR60777

The Kingston Trio -
College Concert - Recorded In Live Performance -
Capitol ST 1658

• 2 weeks later...

Went shopping out of town today and while team SWMBO went to the clothing store that was the primary desitnation after we traipsed around the mall a bit and had lunch, dear old Dad headed over to the local Goodwill which was nearby.

Didn't see any worthwhile CDs. The LPs looked pretty beat up and I had passed what looked to be a pair of potentially worthwhile speakers so didn't really check.

Been looking for Klipsch and electronics for a while now in thrift stores and pawn shops but this is really the first thing other than CDs or LPs that looked to be worthwhile.

And the best thing was, it was 50% off day. Got a pair of Tannoy SRM12B studio monitors.

They're a bit beat up and the grills need a bit of cleaning.

SRM12B Grills On

But the important stuff looks pretty good.

Tannoy SRM12B Grills On

Probably will use them in the office or the garage but I'd have to make some different grills better suited for our garage. And from the front they don't look too bad. They'll probably clean up pretty nice. They'll probably end up in our office in the (hopefully) not too distant future once I get it organized.

Hooked them up in the garage to a receiver and mp3 player and they sound pretty sweet. The tweeter level controls sound a bit noisy in operation but should be pretty easy to clean them up.

Uses Tannoy's Dual Concentric med. compliance type 3149 driver (according to at least one website) is also used in Tannoy's Edinburgh home speaker. My eyes would've probably bugged out had I found a pair of Edinburgh's, they's uber cool looking.

From the front, they look pretty good... would look real nice potentially if the big nameplate and level controls would be on the back.... but being studio monitors it makes sense they're on the front I suppose.

edinburgh.jpg

Also made it to a local pawn shop but they had closed about 20 minutes earlier. The local Salvation Army store was a few miles away and I figured I didn't have enough time but probably not going to find more than one worthwhile thing on a given day.... Went back to the clothing store with plenty of time to find a couple of pair of pants and still had to wait on team SWMBO. I suspect the speaker will outlast the clothes.