Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Timing is everything.

That says it all, Ben. Well that, and a bit of luck. Most recently for me, it was that big ol' Fisher console (Craigslist, not thrift store). I have certain things I search for daily (sometimes throughout the day), some every so often. So I guess it's timing, persistence, and luck. Plus (and a big plus) knowledge about what things are worth. I guess we're talking about treasure hunting, because most folks buy what they need, when they need it. They think we're nuts.

They think we're nuts

Not exactly Gregg. They think we're insane.

But sane is the desired state of sanity is it not? So we should be in the sane state? So we're the enlightened minority.

Although I are a colledge graddyoueight, twice even, and I normally got very good marks in Anglish (Owe! That hurt!) 'twas not my best skool subgect.. And is muh sicond language after Husyear or mebbe third after ridnick (is ridnick a langwage?). So what do I no? Apparently not how to spell or interpret Anglish.

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting for pics of Michael's Industrial LaScala (edit single LaScala) I'd think he can find a use for that....

From the local goodwill on April 29th....

2011-04-29_KokomoGoodwill.jpg

Blue was 1/2 off color of the day so don't think I've gone all upscale and spent $2.99 on a CD.... ok I did buy a new CD by Michael Kelsey for $13 on April the 15th but it was from Michael direct. I think the only Acoustic Alchemy CD I have is Reference Point which I often have used in the past to fall asleep to but in that case it's the stuffy looking cover that just makes me yawn and it is well relaxing at low volumes. (Yawned typing about Reference Point).

Here are my 15 dollar KP-301's from Goodwill. Keep in mind I paid full retail for the replacement woofers from Klipsch. Not re-coned

Still an EXCELLENT SCORE!

Unless you get crazy or some mishap occurs you can rock your block for years. :)

I would recommend checking the fuses and replacing with factory recommended valules as most pro gear, at least to be installed, ship with 20 amp fuses. No manual. Don't worry. Should be avaialble with search here. Maybe as a KP301 owners manual. I may have downleaded a copy. Or just call tech support and ask for recommended vaules if nobody here posts them.

Enjoy!

I replaced with recommended fuses and was blowing like crazy. Went back with 20 amp. I thought 20 was high to begin with, but 1.5 and 2 amp I am constantly changing..

20 Amp is for permanent installs where the fuses are inaccessible with the fuses meant to be to parapphrase Engineer Jim even a 4 amp fiuse will de a great job of protecting a Kxxxx driver. If your contiuing blowing the fuses then there may be other issues. :(. MIds and tweets? Maybe too little power and friving amplifier to hard clipping? Too much power there is a problem or yor just like it insanely loud. No experiewnce wtih CP301 but should play crazy load all day. Fuses are cheaper than new diapragms and especially new woofers.

I replaced with recommended fuses and was blowing like crazy. Went back with 20 amp. I thought 20 was high to begin with, but 1.5 and 2 amp I am constantly changing..

20 Amp is for permanent installs where the fuses are inaccessible with the fuses meant to be to parapphrase Engineer Jim even a 4 amp fiuse will de a great job of protecting a Kxxxx driver. If your contiuing blowing the fuses then there may be other issues. :(. MIds and tweets? Maybe too little power and friving amplifier to hard clipping? Too much power there is a problem or yor just like it insanely loud. No experiewnce wtih CP301 but should play crazy load all day. Fuses are cheaper than new diapragms and especially new woofers.

WOW! And look at those manuals!

I picked up a pair of JBL 4311B in great shape at a garage sale for $10 yesterday. Heavy little buggers.

That's a great deal on the 4311B's, a friend of mine has had a pair of those for years and loves them. A used pair of tweeters for those sell for more than $100 on Ebay. I have a pair of 4312's. the old school JBL's are quite nice.

I found an Eico ST70 tubed integrated amp, Eico ST96 tubed tuner, tubed mulitplex adapter and manuals yesterday for $70 at a flea market. Both pieces had their cages and all the original knobs.

Last night, I played around with the amp. It wouldn't power up, so I cut the old plug off and put a Hubbell plug on. It powered up, so I hooked a couple of cheap speakers and plugged a CD player into it. And it worked. The pots all need deoxiting, but it runs clean and quiet. The next step is to check the biasing on the tubes, & give it all a good cosmetic cleaning.

Next door, I also found a Black Watch leather sporran with the the proper badging for $15. And across the street in a pawn shop, I put a deposit on a pair of Klipsch Tangents that are waiting to clear the required pawn time.

Not a bad day all in all.

The tuner photo is in the next frame.

Slainte. Hamish

You did well... Please let us know how it all works out when you finish touching it up...

May 6th trip to Indianapolis to Alea's audiologist

From a yard sale

2011-05-06_IndianapolisGarageSale.jpg

Something about old tools that's cool And it still functions.

Castleton Goodwill

2011-05-06_CastletonGoodwill.jpg

Alea picked out half of these. The Community Of Faith is for Grandma Norma. Blues Traveler collection quadrupled

Glenbrook Goodwill

2011-05-06_GlenbrookGoodwill.jpg

Johnny Mathis for St Ruth. The Colts DVD for the soon to be son in law found by Alea. I've always respected Billy Graham so now we have another coffee table kind of book. The Forrest Gump is a duplicate but if the college friends I have in mind don't want it I'm sure I can find somebody else - or keep it so each of our girls can have a copy.

Westfield Goodwill

2011-05-06_WestfieldGoodwill.jpg

Can't pass on classic Elton John and hard to pass on Aaron Neville though I think St Ruth would like this one much better than me.

May 11th from the Kokomo Goodwill

2011-05-11_KokomoGoodwill_a.jpg

The vinyl on this one has a strange look to it. For some reason makes me think of polished hair spray. ? But looks to bein pretty good shape - Boots Randolph and Bill Haley and The Comets or something crazy like that.

2011-05-11_KokomoGoodwill_b.jpg

The Leslie Phillips CD for a forum friend if he wants it and doesn't already have it. Another John Mellencamp CD to fill in our collection. And some more Christmas music. 8 by Lionel Richie and several from years ago by the original artists.

May 16th from the Carmel Goodwill..... somehow this ended up on the way home from Klipsch HQ after pestering visiting Trey.... though somehow managed not to go by Amy's desk to say hi. No idea if Professor Thump was in the buidling, town, state, country, or continent.

Anyway might turn into an Oh @#%~! Moment Of The Day entry.... more to come then, 2 vehicular, one with no pictures (NUTS!) and one aduio. $^@#%! Chihuaha!

This is not quite on the way home from Klipsch HQ but turning out of the street onto Michigan Road / 421 north it was much easier to take 465. Darn missed the 31N exit so had to take the Keystone (formerly 431) exit. Even found the Goodwill on Carmel's crazy figure 8 overpass roundabouts. They work but do a couple of those and I get dizzy. Note to self Goodwill is exit 116/Carmel Drive.. Can no longer see easily from Keystone given the let's hide the very busy street road construction of the last couple of years (Raptors ahead anyone?) Really screws any businesses there that got a lot of business from people being able to see as they drove by... The Indy/Carmel locals if they travel Keystone N of 465 know what I'm talking about. Much better if your goal is to get to 31S to 465 E.

Anyway a couple of stereo receivers.....

96632.aspx?PageIndex=12011-05-16_CarmelGoodwilll.jpg

testing is plug in and if lights turned on .... the top Yamaha does power up. Balance noisy and flaky in left channel. Probably a good de-oxidation will clean up. (made in Japan 6 ohm minimum 1 pair of speakers driven). Bottom Onky does not power up but seems better cared for. Heavier. Bigger power transformer 4 ohm minimum 1 par of speakers driven.Hopefully just a blown internal fuse. The Yamaha 24.99 plus tax (more near Indy to pay for Lucus oil stadium) the Onkyo 25.99 plus tax so ~ $56 including tax and 14 day return policy.

I have one working amplifier. May have w functioning and better than what I have out of this or maybe even 2. Or maybe blown up junk to return. I did promise the wife I'd probably send the c1978 RS lo-fi (STA-52 see oh .... link above and maybe found on page xx of 1978 RS catalog found online..... or maybe 1977) to the recycling center if I could replace it as I think it may have died but could be internal fuse.... main fuse OK. They don't build cheap junk like they used to...

Time to find the power switch for the big (only 125 x 5) high current amp on our desk. Lost the #^$@ replacement switch that fits the hole... others a bit more time consuming to get back up and running, if in my scope of expertise (uh, stay away from these big capacitor things...) I have an HK AVR-85 I even found a service manual for. Also have service manuals for at least a couple of HK x30 models. Should be link on here somewhere for those or let me know and I can email or post here or find thread with link or may be posted.

So finds? Or Prettier junk? LOL. SWMBO was fine as long as I promised to rid the home of an old worn out non-working amplifier type of device. (Missed out an a Kenwood Basic M-1 for $29.99 right before Christmas.... I didn't think it could be that cheap and work? But the C-1 preamp I bought was $29.99 though I've yet to test. [:$]

Was thinking an Audio Source Amp 100 (< $100 delivered from numerous sites) or Dayton 50 wpc (maybe 30 usable) t-amp ($99.99 from Parts express). The Audio Source Ampl 100 is kind of nice as input 1 is sent to preamp output for whole hose. While can use imput 2 with local source for whole house on the cheap. At least one source in several rooms.The Dayton a lot sturdier than the little chintzy 15 WPC (mebber 10 usable?).

I picked up a pair of JBL 4311B in great shape at a garage sale for $10 yesterday. Heavy little buggers.

I still have mine that I bought new in '72. Still sound good, although I know I should replace the caps in them. If you use them on the floor, turn them upside down, or the tweeters and mids will point at your ankles.

I paid $279 each for them, which was actually a good price at the time. I think they listed for $329 each.

Bruce