Klipsch Speakers for my Husband

msk

My husband's birthday is coming up and I wanted to ge thim a pair of Klipsch speakers. He has a big, ugly pair of Cornwalls that takes up too much space. I'd like to surprise him by replacing them with some nice, smaller bookshelf ones. I found some Bose ones but found out that he doesn't like Bose. Which small Klipsch Speakers should I get? And do they take trade-ins? Getting rid of thse Cornwalls will be hard, especially without him finding out.

I am still trying to decide whether this post is legitimate or not.

In case it is, and in order to prevent justifiable homicide, do NOT sell the Cornwalls. This is a safety issue, although your intentions are positive.

Although the element of surprise will be forfeited, sit down and a have chat with your beloved about upgrading to a pair of Klipchorns, Jubilees or the new Palladiums.

My work is done,

-Tom

Welcome to the forum....

We men in the Klipsch brotherhood do indeed have a deep, perhaps pathological, attachment to our speakers. I have not been able to ever get rid of a pair that I have. I have handed them down to my son. i have given a pair of cornwalls to my dad. But, it would freak me out if a pair of my speakers turned up missing, even if replaced. I know, It does not make sense. A lot about the hobby of audio does in fact not make much sense...

I agree that you should probably talk to him about this. Or, perhaps you could move them to the garage or some hiding place, safe and sound. Then get the new speaker. Let him grow to love the newest klipsch member of the family. Then, he may want to put the Cornwalls in the bathroom, bedroom, office, garage, office, or somewhere else in the house that is without blissfull sound.

This is only my opinion, and as an acknoledged Klipshoholic, my opinion is only worth the gigabites printed on this page.

But, over all, it is a terribly kind offer to want to help him with speakers.

Paul

What type of amp(s), CD-Record player(s) does he have?

The Cornwall is an EXCELLENT speaker, but depending on the age they could be given a run for there money by a pair of new-er-ish Heresys. (my father and I tested this with Cornwall IIs vs. a Heresy III (I think) and the Heresy did every bit as good if not better. do note that there were 2 Cornwalls, and 1 heresy, the Cornwalls have more base though.)

If you want to upgrade more-so then go with new-er-ish LaScalas. (More efficient)(My LaScala Is sound better than my Heresy IIs)

Rule #1: NEVER GET RID OF SOMEONE'S STUFF WITHOUT TELLING HIM!!! Some people seem to think that they can decide that a certain item belonging to someone else shouldn't be in their living space, so it's okay to discard or sell it. This kind of "reasoning" defies logic and can only lead to conflict.
If you feel the need to dispose of some of your partner's stuff, please limit it to holey socks and underwear. Anything more valuable than that is a possession that means something to its owner. Secretly getting rid of someone's stuff shows a major lack of respect for that person.

Wanting to "downsize" someone's speakers for the sake of the decor may seem like an honourable intention to you, but if it's not discussed and agreed upon first, some really bad feelings wiil be generated.

Whew, now that I've cooled down a bit, I can make a practical suggestion. Suggest to your husband that a pair of Heresy IIIs and a subwoofer could provide a sound similar to the Cornwalls that he's been happy with for so long, while taking up less space and being able to go even lower in the bass department. He may well be agreeable to updating to current Klipsch technology. The Heresy IIIs are much smaller than Cornwalls and are well-liked by everyone who's heard them.

A birthday surprise is always nice, but when it involves a favourite possession disappearing, well that's playing with fire...

My husband's birthday is coming up and I wanted to ge thim a pair of Klipsch speakers. He has a big, ugly pair of Cornwalls that takes up too much space. I'd like to surprise him by replacing them with some nice, smaller bookshelf ones. I found some Bose ones but found out that he doesn't like Bose. Which small Klipsch Speakers should I get? And do they take trade-ins? Getting rid of thse Cornwalls will be hard, especially without him finding out.

you're joking.....

Maybe we should suggest one of the newer additions to the lineup? I'm sure she'd probably appreciate Mr. Fed Ex showing up with a pair of Jubilees. now we can all discuss the virtues of what her husband would think if he came home to find those sitting on their kitchen table...

[*-)]

If she is for real, I think we should applaud her for thinking to come here for suggestions. It seems like her intentions are noble. Not wanting to just throw all of the speakers out to the curb and all.

The Jubilees are what I have, and I could pretty much assure you that he would indeed like them. A lot. A whole lot.

And they are rather compact and small like....

Sound great.

Seriously, a pair of Heresy III's, as my son suggested, would make an acceptable change. Those little "relatively speaking little" sound great.

But, don't give up on the Jubilee idea.

Paul